Hi. I was wondering what would be the best mini amp to get. It has to be a good balance between tone and portability. I know that I will not get a "killer tone" out of this, but the whole reason is to be able to literally move anywhere while being able to play the guitar.

Here are some options I had in mind, but would like input if anyone has any experience with these:

VOX Amplugs (I would possibly get the cabinet accessory, possibly the AC30 or Lead)
Orange Micro Crush (Possibly could mod a clip on the back?)
Marshal MS-2 (I heard these are mediocre in tone, are they any good?)
Danelectro Honeytone (These seem really nice, have a tone knob and gain knob, as well as a clip, seems like a great choice, but might be lacking in tone compared to others)
Amp You Plug And Play (Possibly the most basic. Not very customizable in tone, but extremely portable)

The reason I want a portable amp is so I can play an electric anywhere on the go, if I want to jam or practice outside my room without a big amp.

Can anyone help?
Last edited by Clay-man at Oct 18, 2013,
The new Yamaha THR series sound amazing, sounds more "tube" at low volumes than a tube amp at low volumes. totally wasn't expecting that from yamaha.
There are three models, one for a more boutique sounds, the standard, and a high gain one.
I plan on getting the THR10X for Christmas.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha-THR10-Modeling-Combo-Amp-107605842-i2436051.gc
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha-THR10C-Classic-Combo-Modeling-Combo-Amp-108606369-i2862132.gc
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha-THR10X-High-Gain-Modeling-Combo-Amp-108606385-i2862134.gc
Someone is wrong on the internet. Only you can help.

Originally Posted by Tulkas
Stairway is required on any list of anything involving the words guitar or song, I believe Congress amended the constitution in order to put it into federal law.
i'd vote for the little vox amp if they still make it. I can't remeber the model name but just google it.. Mine is awesome, and it even has little strap pegs so you can strap it around your back and walk around with it!
Up for the TRXs!

Depending on what you like, you may prefer one version or another.
The X one is metalish, the C one is fenderish and the normal one has useless effects like an acoustic guitar Simulator.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
uCube is a great little battery powered amp. For a headphone amp/effects/drums/bass the Korg PX4D is cool.
Try this:

http://www.andertons.co.uk/combo-amps/pid11062/cid691/smokey-amplifier-recycled-cigarette-box-amps.asp

The Smokey Amp is the world's smallest and least expensive guitar amplifier, proudly made in the USA. It is also the single biggest selling guitar amplifier ever made! The Smokey Amp will also power any 4, 8 or 16O speaker cabinet, including 4x12s, and can even be used on the input of another amp as a fuzz box.
Quote by jkielq91
Try this:

http://www.andertons.co.uk/combo-amps/pid11062/cid691/smokey-amplifier-recycled-cigarette-box-amps.asp

The Smokey Amp is the world's smallest and least expensive guitar amplifier, proudly made in the USA. It is also the single biggest selling guitar amplifier ever made! The Smokey Amp will also power any 4, 8 or 16O speaker cabinet, including 4x12s, and can even be used on the input of another amp as a fuzz box.

Thanks, I actually forgot about these. This is more of what I was aiming for. Are they loud?
I'm actually starting to lean towards the micro cube because of the modeling on it. It's pretty large but I think I could do some type of strap thing with the handle if I were to walk around with it.

I like the VOX amplugs and orange micro crush, but the micro cube just seems to be worth it for the features.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Pignose!

^This. The original is still the best.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
For something a bit alternative you should check out the JukeCase portable guitar amp by Son Valise. A portable suitcase guitar amp with up to 40 hours playtime at 50W (rechargeable battery) and awesome sound, all the way up the range. My friend got one and you can play your backing track via Bluetooth whilst playing guitar/singing over the top. They look awesome are pretty lightweight (5-10kg)

Read about it here: https://jukecase.com/uncategorized/jukecases-as-portable-guitar-amps

Dumbass bot got banned.

For a pocket amp, I bought a Joyo JA-02 a while back. It was really good for a pocket amp. The OD sounded good, but it was lacking in how much gain you can get from it. Sounds a lot better than what I've heard of the JA-01 which sounds like fuzz OD.

As for a more big portable battery amp, I'm really digging what I see in the VOX Mini 3. It's like a micro cube except a lot better in quality and features.
Guitars:
Davison SG
Line 6 Variax 600
Line 6 JTV 69s
Squier Classic Bibe Telecaster Thinline
You're going to get far better sound with a set of earbuds and any of the smartphone apps or (better yet, actually), something like a Korg Pandora (PX5D or the new Mini). If you need sound, pick up one of those ubiquitous little bluetooth/rechargeable speakers. The originators have tiny and very cheap bluetooth transmitters available if you're not using a bluetooth enabled phone or computer.

Quote by dspellman
You're going to get far better sound with a set of earbuds and any of the smartphone apps or (better yet, actually), something like a Korg Pandora (PX5D or the new Mini). If you need sound, pick up one of those ubiquitous little bluetooth/rechargeable speakers. The originators have tiny and very cheap bluetooth transmitters available if you're not using a bluetooth enabled phone or computer.

No. There's a few problems with that:

1) The only thing you'll get with that is a clean DI sound from your guitar.

2) In conjunction with #1, No OD or tone control

3) It will most likely be quiet because the output of an MP3 player has a different impedence than a guitar ouput. Portable amps have amp circuits built for guitars so you can actually hear it when it goes out the speaker.

I do think this is a good setup but it's pretty pricey for just a pocket amp:

Has gain, volume, and tone so it has a lot of versatility, and they come in different versions for different styles.

I'd maybe mod the cabinet and put a clip on the back and bam, probably the best carrying pocket amp.
Guitars:
Davison SG
Line 6 Variax 600
Line 6 JTV 69s
You can always mount strap locks on the side of a microcube or other small amp with a real wood cabinet and then use a guitar strap to carry it around.
Quote by Clay-man
No. There's a few problems with that:

1) The only thing you'll get with that is a clean DI sound from your guitar.

2) In conjunction with #1, No OD or tone control

3) It will most likely be quiet because the output of an MP3 player has a different impedence than a guitar ouput. Portable amps have amp circuits built for guitars so you can actually hear it when it goes out the speaker.

Ummmm...no. I think what he's proposing is that you use a guitar input to your phone, an amp sim on your phone and play the result through bluetooth to a wireless speaker.

The only part of that I'm not certain about is the bluetooth, but there are countless small battery powered speakers that attach via a mini plug and I KNOW that will work because I've done it using an iRig > iPhone > Ampkit/iShred/Garageband > rechargeable speaker.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by bronzepour
You can always mount strap locks on the side of a microcube or other small amp with a real wood cabinet and then use a guitar strap to carry it around.

Then I'd get the VOX Mini3 G2. That would be pretty heavy though, carrying an amp and guitar at the same time. I might get it one day though. I always wanted an amp I could move around anywhere to practice/jam on when I'm not concerned about the best sounding quality.

Quote by Arby911
Ummmm...no. I think what he's proposing is that you use a guitar input to your phone, an amp sim on your phone and play the result through bluetooth to a wireless speaker.

The only part of that I'm not certain about is the bluetooth, but there are countless small battery powered speakers that attach via a mini plug and I KNOW that will work because I've done it using an iRig > iPhone > Ampkit/iShred/Garageband > rechargeable speaker.

That would be the best, but I have a droid. Love me some Amplitube though.
Guitars:
Davison SG
Line 6 Variax 600
Line 6 JTV 69s
i love my honeytone (as odd as that is), its small, get some nice fuzzyish/overdrive. i wired mine for an extension speaker (6" from some shitty starter amp i got free) works good. i normally don't bring the ext speaker.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by jkielq91

why couldn't they use Red 100's?

mediums WTF?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i love my honeytone (as odd as that is), its small, get some nice fuzzyish/overdrive. i wired mine for an extension speaker (6" from some shitty starter amp i got free) works good. i normally don't bring the ext speaker.

Actually yeah, I was pretty impressed by that one too. In fact they're probably a lot better than the Joyo amp.

Edit: Ok, yeah, this blows the Joyo amp out of the water. Why didn't I get this instead? 10 watts opposed to 3, and it still comes with a clip so you can carry it on the go? Amazing.
Guitars:
Davison SG
Line 6 Variax 600
Line 6 JTV 69s
Last edited by Clay-man at Jul 24, 2014,