Hello everybody.I currently own a Schecter Damien Elite.I love this guitar both in sound and design.However(it might sound stupid)i don't like the markings on the fretboard.I thought of changing the neck (e.g. a PRS neck.I love those birds on the fretboard)but I do not know if doing so will change the sound of the guitar either positively or negatively.Can you please let me know what will happen if I change the neck?
Last edited by ironmaidenas at Oct 18, 2013,
As long as it's made of the same stuff as far as fretboard material and neck material, i.e. maple neck with a rosewood fretboard, your sound shouldn't change.
Just be mindful of your scale length and heel measurements. Probably should get a neck that hasn't been drilled for the attaching screws as they may not match your guitar.
I've swapped necks on both of my basses successfully.
Looks like the Damien is a maple and rosewood neck according to schecter's website, by the way.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
I think your easiest option is to stain the fretboard black (leather dye)...the dye will stick to the old fret inlays, then put some of these on http://www.inlaystickers.com/servlet/the-Fret-Markers-cln-Birds/Categories and lightly clear coat over the whole lot then using 2000grit sand paper take any shine of the clear coat. I have done similar jobs in the past and they turn out looking great