Hey, UG!

So I am a beginner guitarist and I MEAN beginner, an absolute novice. What music books do you recommend to a guy trying to understand the basics of music theory and the basics of playing guitar and learning a few beginner songs?

Thanks in advance!

Regards, Grey.
I wouldn't worry about books yet, get a good teacher to be ablse to really show you how to hold the guitar and get a feel for it, and to work out all the bad habits as soon as possible. After that, have him/her make a recommendation based on your needs and goals as a musician. That being said, Mel Bay is pretty much the standard, and his books are helpful if used along with lessons. Again, this depends on your goals.
Quote by ne14t
I like a man's cream on my face every morning before my tea.

My girlfriend and her mom see each other nude daily for some weird reason
Watch as many "beginner vids" on youtube, learn your favorite songs (that are easy for beginners). I bought books when I first started they mostly collected dust after a few months, the only books I recommend are tabs of your favorite band's songs and scale books or anything to do with lead guitar, rhythm playing is always easier to learn from videos, for me anyway.
Someone is wrong on the internet. Only you can help.

Originally Posted by Tulkas
Stairway is required on any list of anything involving the words guitar or song, I believe Congress amended the constitution in order to put it into federal law.
If you want to learn the fretboard really well, I really like Musicians Institute Complete Fretboard Workbook. It's only like $14 bucks on amazon too.
Get a teacher. If only for a few months. They can show you technique and give you real feedback on what you may be doing wrong or right. Books and youtube only go so far.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals