Hey guys. I just got the TC Electronics Ditto looper pedal, and am having some trouble with it. Whenever I record my loop and play it back, there is a slight dead spot at the end of the recording. Any tips on how to stop this? I've tried rerecording and stopping the loop at various times, but the delay persists. Thanks in advance guys!
Make sure you are still playing when you press the switch to end the loop. If you still have a gap, then it must be that you are starting the loop before you start playing.
User error I'd say. Just keep up the practice!

With the ridiculously stringent and high-level QC at TC Electronics, it's unlikely it's a faulty pedal. That said, you could take it back and ask a staff member to try it and see if they have the same problem. Just to be sure, like.
404: Sig not found.
TS, learning how to properly use a looper, whether its a Ditto, or an RC-30, is an instrument in itself. Keep at it! I love mine and have had no problems with it.

One tip I have is to play what you want to loop once through, then loop it, and then to play though the loop. In case you didn't know, the green LED also flashes at the start of the recording. Hope that helped.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
you need to get your timing down. if you play it right, you can get it almost perfect.

however, you just discovered the difference between a 130 dollar guitar looper pedal, and a 300-400 dollar job meant for actual gigs.

the ditto looper i consider ameture. its nice, it will get teh job done for a short 4 bar ditty, but it is NOT something you want to use as a backing track for a gig. you need something far more robust.

i had one and i considered it a bedroom practice tool, and as a gigging tool to lay down a riff and solo over it (say you are doing a song where you are the olny guitarist).

i have a friend who does solo acoustic gigs and loops bass beats, tamborine, etc etc, gets like 4 loops going at once. he has a really nice jam band box that does it. probably retails at like 200-300
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by ikey_
the ditto looper i consider ameture. its nice, it will get teh job done for a short 4 bar ditty, but it is NOT something you want to use as a backing track for a gig. you need something far more robust.

I know what you mean as far as simplicity goes, but I'd hardly call it amateur. It's basically parts of the Flashback trimmed down and squeezed in to the small-form; it is no lesser quality. You're merely sacrificing control and flexibility that some people just don't need.
404: Sig not found.
Quote by ikey_
however, you just discovered the difference between a 130 dollar guitar looper pedal, and a 300-400 dollar job meant for actual gigs.
Not sure what this has to do with his problem. A more expensive looper won't make it any easier to lay down a good loop.
i guess you could test it buy hitting a note and making a short (<1 second) loop that doesn't contain the attack or release of said note.

if you're getting the gap in that instance, it's the pedal. if not, it's you.
:: Peavey JSX | XXX ::
:: LTD V | Viper | AX [EMG85] ::
:: Vader 2x12 | Krankenstein 4x12 ::
:: G50 | DecimatorG-String | 95Q ::
:: Polytune | Ditto | CarbonCopy ::
well the flashback looping isnt really up to snuff beyond a bedroom level i would say either.

personally i find loopers start with jam band level, to be of good, accurate, looping quality. most people i know who legit loop 2,3,4 tracks for whole songs (304 min or longer) are using something like that.

i think the dittio is good to lay down a little ditty for 30 seconds or so and solo over it. thats about it. the longer the loop the worse.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
After watching videos on youtube of the ditto I picked one of these up for my son yesterday. But once he lays down his initial loop and plays over the top of it, the background loop is almost drowned out. Is there something we are doing wrong? It seems to work well enough on clean channels, but on then distortion/metal channels, which is mostly what he plays, is where the background loop is getting buried.
Last edited by paulballs at Oct 20, 2013,
Quote by paulballs
After watching videos on youtube of the ditto I picked one of these up for my son yesterday. But once he lays down his initial loop and plays over the top of it, the background loop is almost drowned out. Is there something we are doing wrong? It seems to work well enough on clean channels, but on then distortion/metal channels, which is mostly what he plays, is where the background loop is getting buried.

If there's an effects loop on the amp (FX send/return OR poweramp in/preamp out), run the ditto through that. The whole looped signal is running through the distortion which jumbles it all together. If it's in the effects loop it records the distorted part and allows you to distinguish the two parts.
Guitars:
LTD Viper 300FM
Jackson DX10D
MIM Tele
MIM Strat
Amps:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe - Stock Eminence Legend
Peavey Ultra Plus 120 Watt Head
Rivera R412T - Loaded with Celestion V30s
Pedals:
Boss NS-2
TC Flashback X4
TC Trinity Reverb
Turn the only knob on the Ditto up. Adjust the levels going into the looper. Turn down the distortion level. All or any of those will help.
Quote by emerald876
If there's an effects loop on the amp (FX send/return OR poweramp in/preamp out), run the ditto through that. The whole looped signal is running through the distortion which jumbles it all together. If it's in the effects loop it records the distorted part and allows you to distinguish the two parts.

On the back of the amp there is pre amp out, power amp in. So after posting my original question I started looking online to a solution, and came across what you said. But let me see if I have this right:

1) run cable from the guitar into the amp, like usual
2) run cable from preamp out to the in on the ditto
3) run cable from the out on the ditto to the power amp in

That should solve it?
Quote by paulballs
On the back of the amp there is pre amp out, power amp in. So after posting my original question I started looking online to a solution, and came across what you said. But let me see if I have this right:

That should solve it?

Yup, that'll solve it. With this way you can play clean, record it, switch to distortion, and play lead over the clean part, or vice versa.
Guitars:
LTD Viper 300FM
Jackson DX10D
MIM Tele
MIM Strat
Amps:
Pedals:
Boss NS-2
TC Flashback X4
TC Trinity Reverb
+1 emerald
paulballs -

i noticed the same issue. the reason is because unless you change your tone, your playing the same tone right over it. this is how many guitars can get lost in "a mix"

i would recommend him setting the output level a tad less than or equal too normal volume he wants the backing track. THEN LOOP.

now, he needs to do something to alter the tone, and preferably raise the volume, like click on an overdrive, or switch to the bridge pickup and click on a clean boost.

something the change tonality, and raise volume. backing track on one pickup, solo on another.

try playing the backing track down clean, and overdrive to solo over it. different variations.

_________

yes, if the amp has a loop, it should be in the loop. you want your looping to be 100% clean, unaffected by the preamp. you need a looper to "LOOP" anything that is coming before it exactly, so by definition, you do not want any tone coloration.

if you have otehr effects in the loop, it should be one of, if not the last things.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Last edited by ikey_ at Oct 21, 2013,
Quote by paulballs

That should solve it?
This didn't come out in your original question, but emerald made a good point. Where are you getting your distortion from? If it's your amp then the Ditto needs to be in the FX loop. Remember, the Ditto is a recording device. You do not want any FX, except maybe some reverb to be after the Ditto.

If you are getting your distortion from the amp with the Ditto in front, the distortion tone isn't overwhelming the clean it's distorting it.
looper after (overdriven) preamp sounds like two guitars, looper before preamp sounds like two people playing the same guitar.
I put the ditto between the preamp and back through the poweramp as suggested and it worked great. Thanks for the info guys.

Just got him a new tube amp a few weeks ago, so this pre/power amp stuff is brand new to us. We just though everything went through the regular input.
Last edited by paulballs at Oct 22, 2013,
Quote by paulballs
I put the ditto between the preamp and back through the poweramp as suggested and it worked great. Thanks for the info guys.

Just got him a new tube amp a few weeks ago, so this pre/power amp stuff is brand new to us. We just though everything went through the regular input.

Some things can be put through the normal input, like overdrive pedals (which SHOULD be put in front of the amp), chorus pedals or things like that can be in the front OR the loop, but delay, reverb, and loopers should ALWAYS be put in the loop if you're using the amp's distortion. Otherwise the reverb is getting distorted, loopers get jumbled, and delays lose gain after each repeat.
Guitars:
LTD Viper 300FM
Jackson DX10D
MIM Tele
MIM Strat
Amps:
Pedals:
Boss NS-2
TC Flashback X4