So I have a Jet city 20watt tube head running through a line 6 cab and a Epiphone 1956 gold top reissue guitar with PX 90 pickups! I like to use my Digitech Death metal distortion pedal and I was wondering if anyone new the best way to get a really metal sound out of my set up? I inherited most of my gear so I'm not sure how great it is for what I'm trying to accomplish.
I would get another pedal, Digitech Death Metal gives you one type of distortion.

Most important: what do you mean by Metal sound ? Iron Maiden? Opeth? Portal? Slayer?
Give us exemples of what sound you want.
Jackson DK2FS
Fernandes FR-65

Morley pro series pedal
BBE two time Delay
Empress Nebulus
Subdecay Quantum Quasar
Solid Gold FX Nitro

Blackstar HT stage 100
Marshal 1922 2x12 (V-30, Greenback)
Get a new pedal.
And there isn't really a "best" sound, just play with your EQ until you figure out what it does and find what you like.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Jet city is a decent rock amp - with a boost (such as a tube screamer) can probably decently do iron maiden, perhaps even some early metallica tones.

Line6 cab is probably pretty bad, but I don't know what speakers are in it.

P-90 pickups are not great for metal, you probably want humbuckers, which probably won't fit on the guitar without modification.

Without knowing what kind of metal, it's pretty difficult to give good advice. But knowing how to dial in tones is very important, as mentioned above.
RIP Gooze

cats
Quote by mulefish

P-90 pickups are not great for metal, you probably want humbuckers, which probably won't fit on the guitar without modification.
Tony Iommi would like to have a word with you.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
what's the exact cabinet?

also an overdrive pedal (or two) wouldn't hurt. you have a nice amp, you might as well use it for distortion and using an overdrive as a boost will let you do that.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Cathbard
Tony Iommi would like to have a word with you.

It's not metal if you can get there with EL84s.

TS, please tell us exactly what kind of sound you want. Tell us what Bands/albums/songs have tone you'd like to get close to or similar to. Then we can go from there.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I have a Jet City JC22H. First and farmost replace the stock tubes if they aren't replaced from the factory chinese ones. This will make a huge difference, especially give you a bit more headroom. I used tungsols to replace the chinese ones in there and it made a HUGE difference.
Well I listen to and play a wide variety of music some stuff ranging from Metallica to Bullet for my Valentine to Suicide Silence and everything in between, I'm more of a Metalcore/ Deathcore kinda guy so hopefully that helps. I'd like to thank everyone who's contributed, it's super awesome for a fairly new player like me to get all this input/ support thanks to everyone who has posted!
Quote by Star 56
Well I listen to and play a wide variety of music some stuff ranging from Metallica to Bullet for my Valentine to Suicide Silence and everything in between, I'm more of a Metalcore/ Deathcore kinda guy so hopefully that helps. I'd like to thank everyone who's contributed, it's super awesome for a fairly new player like me to get all this input/ support thanks to everyone who has posted!

hate to break it to you man. but metallica to bfmv to suicide silence is not a exactly a wide range of music. if you said suicide silence to Elton john, I might agree with you
^ thanks for that

what exact cabinet are you using? the cabinet and speakers you use a fairly important for getting a good metal tone.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
depending on the speakers in the Line 6, i'd say TS is fighting the cab and the EL84's the most. the EL84's will tend to get mushy and loose attack at higher gain levels.

i'd also drop the digitech metal pedal in favor of some kinda tube screamer or rat proco (depending on how much distortion you are going to use from your amp). a speaker swap in the in the line 6 (or a new cab) could also go a long way.

i'd also look into an amp with different power tubes and a bigger OT.

Quote by NateCochrane93
hate to break it to you man. but metallica to bfmv to suicide silence is not a exactly a wide range of music. if you said suicide silence to Elton john, I might agree with you

i am sure he appreciated the help
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae