12 23%
Voters: 52.
Page 1 of 2
entity0009
UG's Null.
534 IQ
sup
derp title fail

If you have been paying attention in the Pit recently, you may have seen the thread for the UG Forced Collab Competition floating around among the stickies. Well, the deadline for the competition has (eventually) rolled around, and now the time has come for you, the Pit, to mercilessly judge our brave competitors!

For those who haven't seen the original thread, the premise behind the competition was as follows: after signing up, competitors would be randomly assigned a partner, who they were then required to write a song with - both contributing to the writing and recording. The result was...well, an insteresting mishmash of genres, and there are some seriously good submissions.

So without further ado, to the entries! In the sake of fairness and to avoid bias, I will not be revealing the names of which users made which tracks - After a few days of voting I will declare the winner and reveal the pairs. I ask all the competitors to please refrain from revealing who they worked with and which song they worked on. Speculation is welcome, however.

Entries

Who's Harry? I Don't Have A Boat!
Push
Death Hop
Really Final (Dunnow) (Didn't get a name so I just used the file name, if the pair want this changed PM me)
Cloud 42
One Step

A massive thanks to the following participants who pulled through, and managed to submit. Your ancestors are proud:

AtaBorMan
whoomit
chucklesmginty
Spoony_Bard
captaincrunk
Spambot_2
DisarmGoliath
loose bowels
Mathedes
HailFire5150
TheTee56
damian_91

Honourable mention to progdude93 and Aralingh who were unable to complete due to time circumstances but made their best efforts.

Thanks also to the people who didn't manage to submit.
YEAH, THANKS FOR NOTHING YOU DOGLICKERS.

Ladies and gentlemen!

PLACE
YOUR
VOTES
🙈 🙉 🙊
Last edited by entity0009 at Oct 20, 2013,
Spoony_Bard
Perpetually irate.
332 IQ
Lets congratulate entity0009 as well for being a good host, merciful god, and sensual slice of man candy.
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
StewieSwan
Decent User
5,012 IQ
It was between Death Hop and Cloud 42 for me, but I went with DH because I felt it showed the most competence and creativity under a time limit.
666atheist666
entity0009
UG's Null.
534 IQ
Pretty extreme time limit too, that pair didn't get as much time to work on their track as others did.
🙈 🙉 🙊
entity0009
UG's Null.
534 IQ
Quote by yoman297
hahahaha

yeah, we didn't exactly go through

we ended up being busy as ****

No worries man, I get that people have commitments and shit
🙈 🙉 🙊
N_J_B_B
Nicko.
1,326 IQ
My vote goes to "Really Final". Just seemed to sound the best to my ears and really stood apart from the rest to me.

Props to Cloud 42, that was my second choice.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
damian_91
246 IQ
Mine goes to Cloud 42, cool grooves, bros.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
theTYTAN
30 IQ
Ima go with "cloud 42" for 1st and death hop for second. They all had their good parts though.
chev311e
Will do moose stuff for $
400 IQ
They are all good. I voted for One Step just cause it's closest to the type of song I would see myself coming up with in this competition. Who's Harry for second.
AtaBorMan
UG's reclusive wanker
480 IQ
Voted Cloud42 because it was a cool track. Really Final didn't mention me, so no votes for them.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
entity0009
UG's Null.
534 IQ
It would be nice if DisarmGoliath could sticky this for a while.
🙈 🙉 🙊
progdude93
Banned
380 IQ
I don't deserve any honorable mentions, my partner Aralingh did everything and the only reason we didn't finish was because of me.
entity0009
UG's Null.
534 IQ
Quote by progdude93
I don't deserve any honorable mentions, my partner Aralingh did everything and the only reason we didn't finish was because of me.

Oh I wasn't sure if you and Aralingh had actually started on anything, was really confused about that
🙈 🙉 🙊
progdude93
Banned
380 IQ
He did his part, I was supposed to add my guitar work (which I have, but wasn't able to record).
DisarmGoliath
Disarms Goliaths
1,391 IQ
Quote by entity0009
It would be nice if DisarmGoliath could sticky this for a while.

Done, despite your subtlety almost hiding it
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Harlot Hero
Mr. User-Friendly
911 IQ
Going with "Cloud 42" for being so diverse, but the bass is a bit too high in the mix for my preference. "One Step" coming in close second. Those vocals are amazing as is the instrumentation; they work so well with one another. I wish I could vote twice.

The rest are all also really well done.
entity0009
UG's Null.
534 IQ
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Done, despite your subtlety almost hiding it

Thanks
🙈 🙉 🙊
rabidguitarist
Ethnomusicologist
1,735 IQ
It's weird listening to the collaborations because there are instruments in the song that sound beautifully produced and others that sound like they were recorded with a phone.

Who's Harry was good, although I think the production let it down a bit- the programmed hi hats were a bit annoying, and it descended into fuzz near the end, but the first half was beautiful.

Push was good, dat 80s snare though

I liked Death Hop, guitars sounded great, although I was expecting some vocals after the LET'S GOOOO.

I always thought that with instrumental music, the verse-chorus-verse-chorus structure doesn't work because it just sounds like a track that's missing its vocals.

Really Final is awesome.

So is Cloud 42.

It's all academic though because my favourite is One Step. It sounds properly together, not like everyone involved has had conflicted ideas. I don't know if the drums are programmed in this one, because they sound real, but too well recorded for a project like this.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Mathedes
Dissonant Unison
329 IQ
Production is not a factor in my vote. It's all about the songwriting. Giving my vote to One Step, dayum.

EDIT: Something up with Harry's plays? I see only 1 play.
We're all alright!
Last edited by Mathedes at Oct 21, 2013,
captaincrunk
See, I Got News for You.
921 IQ
Quote by Mathedes
Production is not a factor in my vote. It's all about the songwriting. Giving my vote to One Step, dayum.

EDIT: Something up with Harry's plays? I see only 1 play.

it was the same for me a few days ago but I definitely played it as well so it's just some kind of error
DisarmGoliath
Disarms Goliaths
1,391 IQ
To be honest, I think we all know who the winner is going to be It's just a case of when entity realises and decides to close the poll.
entity0009
UG's Null.
534 IQ
I feel bad closing the poll when Push has no votes

I can't even close the poll anyway, but it seems we have a clear winner! Congratulations to ChucklesMginty and captaincrunk for their winning submission. Go out and treat yourselves to a pat on the back.

The other pairs are as follows:

One Step: Spoony_Bard + TheTee56
Really Final/Dunnow: HailFire5150 + Spambot_2
Push: Mathedes + damian_91
Who's Harry? I Don't Have A Boat!: AtaBorMan + loose bowels aka Beard Seeking Missile
Death Hop: DisarmGoliath + whoomit

That's all folks. Congratulations to the winners, but also congratulations to all the other participants. Take pride in your ability to work with random people to an ever-changing deadline. Put dis shit on your CV or something.
🙈 🙉 🙊
Spoony_Bard
Perpetually irate.
332 IQ
I couldn't say this before because it would reveal which song I did, but Harlot Hero's, Rabidguitarist's, and Mathedes's comments made me very happy.

Wish more people had listened/voted.

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

>¦<
¦
Last edited by Spoony_Bard at Oct 25, 2013,
DisarmGoliath
Disarms Goliaths
1,391 IQ
Push has a vote now, happier?

I think all entries were really high standard, and well done to everybody.

Now that we can break anonymity, I'd like to continue from what entity said earlier about 'Death Hop' only having short notice etc. Basically, no fault of whoomit's but I completely forgot about the competition after an initial discussion as I didn't check my PM's or come on here much other than to do basic mod stuff. In the end, I saw this thread in my User CP and we had just under 48 hours until the final deadline/last extension.

As rabidguitarist correctly presumed, the idea was originally for the song to have vocals but I just ran out of time trying to come up with lyrics that didn't sound crap - kept the 'Let's Go!' in because it added to the weight of the hit when everything came in.

Thanks for the compliments about the guitars/competence and creativity etc. - whoomit was responsible for all the synth parts, and as they spawned my initial ideas for the rest of the track, you can thank him for the creativity there

Edit: Oh, and congrats to the winners by the way! You won by a clear mile, and congrats to 2nd place who also had a lot of votes!
chev311e
400 IQ
I wanna know what each person did in each song. Especially One Step.
Spoony_Bard
Perpetually irate.
332 IQ
Quote by chev311e
I wanna know what each person did in each song. Especially One Step.

I played/recorded everything. My partner wrote the bass tabs, which were the starting points for each section so he definitely helped. He wrote the bass riff which we built the whole song on.l

You like?

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

>¦<
¦
DisarmGoliath
Disarms Goliaths
1,391 IQ
For 'Death Hop', we had an initial discussion and agreed originally to settle on an idea for a project I'd had for ages but never got around to ('Death Hop' = death metal and hip hop ) and then whoomit showed me some examples of electronica stuff he had done. I said what I liked and thought could become a song, he then made new ideas like that stuff, and then I forgot about everything.

Eventually, I remembered and used his ideas, to start creating a song. Showed him where I as going and what ideas I had left, and he created some extra synth parts and then I finished the track off and mixed it.
Spoony_Bard
Perpetually irate.
332 IQ
^ I thought the guitars on your track were crazy good man.

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

>¦<
¦
DisarmGoliath
Disarms Goliaths
1,391 IQ
Thank you! They could have been better, had I not been an idiot and remembered about the competition sooner but I'm glad people didn't think they sounded rushed haha. Yours was awesome, and the vocals are beyond what my vocals would/could have been!

Realistically, if whoomit's and mine had won, it would have been a little unfair as you guys all spent much more time on the entries by the sounds of it, as bad as that sounds for whoomit as it wasn't his fault that our entry was so rushed.
chev311e
400 IQ
Quote by Spoony_Bard

I played/recorded everything. My partner wrote the bass tabs, which were the starting points for each section so he definitely helped. He wrote the bass riff which we built the whole song on.l

You like?

I like.

There's no way I could have done something like this. I can't really work with someone else, especially someone I don't know on the internet. That's why I'm so impressed with these songs and wanted to know how each person contributed.
captaincrunk
See, I Got News for You.
921 IQ
Quote by ChucklesMginty
I did want to record some more guitars and do real bass but my tendonitis wouldn't allow it.

don't forget overlord entity wagging his rich white finger at us to finish!
Mathedes
Dissonant Unison
329 IQ
Is it possible, or permissible, to download the tracks? I really liked everyone's work and want to have them on my iPod.

Congratulations everyone!

Quote by entity0009
I feel bad closing the poll when Push has no votes

I would not change one minute of effort put into "Push."

A couple notes about "Push" for those interested:
I wrote the whole song and its parts and recorded the electric bass and vocals. The recordings were all one take. Damian's the mastermind in recording. He programmed my drum tracks and recorded the electric guitars.

The lyrics/vocals were a last minute effort. We didn't even plan them. The morning Damian sent me the instrumental track, I listened to it obsessively the whole day and the lyrics began to form. (I always wanted to write a song inspired by the fitness center I work at). I recorded the ideas of me singing over it, sent them to Damian, and we just knew we had to do it.

A big shout out to Damian. If, no-WHEN we do another collaboration contest, anyone who gets paired with him should feel really lucky. He kept consistent contact with me and he did not half-ass his effort. We sent several recordings back and forth, making comments and adjustments, and he was relentless in making the song sound great.

I love listening to "Push" and I've shared it with some IRL friends. They really like it.

You hear that Damian?! Now you can't disappoint.
We're all alright!
Last edited by Mathedes at Oct 26, 2013,