Hey All,

I was looking at this site:

http://correctsoundcustom.com/index/0-12#!/~/category/id=2244169&offset=0&sort=normal

Interesting. They make pedals based on the preamp section of some Sunn amps. I'm curious.

I have a few questions about this whole 'Preamp in a pedal' thing. How exactly does it work? Do you just run it straight into the amp with all your other effects? If so, where in your chain would it go?

Should I be led to believe that, for example, the 'Eclipse' (Concert Lead Preamp) would make my Sunn SL 160 sound like a Concert Lead? Or am I far away from the actual purpose of the device?

BTW is anyone familiar with Correct Sound Custom?

-Major Bludd
I would imagine it would be at the end of your pedal chain much like the actual preamp inside of the amp. You can also run it in the amp's FX loop as an independant preamp if you want, if it's actually a true preamp and not just a mislabelled booster/OD.
Preamp pedals can be run into an amp’s effects loop, bypassing the amp’s own preamp. They can also be run into a cabinet simulator and then into a PA system, power amp, or recording input—that’s why some high-end pedals have a cabinet simulator switch.

These really serve two purposes. They allow you to get the sound of a rare, expensive, and hard to repair amp for what it would cost you to get a tech to service a used amp if you can find one. They’re also very convenient for use in a studio, for fly-in gigs, or for players who live in cities and don’t have cars.
Interesting. So the Beta/Concert Lead Preamp pedals can turn my 60w SS Sunn into a smaller and more convenient version of the Beta/Concert Lead amp? With better control of the volume for practice/bedroom levels?
Quote by Major Bludd
Interesting. So the Beta/Concert Lead Preamp pedals can turn my 60w SS Sunn into a smaller and more convenient version of the Beta/Concert Lead amp? With better control of the volume for practice/bedroom levels?

Yes.
Neato. I'll have to give this some serious thought. The Concert Lead clone is much more reasonably priced than the Beta Lead clone, though!
Yeah, basically it lifts the preamp out of that amp, and gives it to you so you can place it at your own convenience. Normally in an amp the preamp and poweramp are paired together, inseperable, though often with an FX loop in between them.

You can achieve the same thing with the preamp pedal. If you want to put stuff in the FX loop, just put that stuff after the pedal in the chain. For it to work properly, run the chain into the Return on your amp. That will bypass the preamp in your amp, and the pedal will act as a preamp.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X