So I'm looking to replace the stock humbuckers on my Epiphone 339. I'm not too sure about what to look at and I'm not sure what a good budget is too, but in terms of tone..

I'm looking for something somewhat versatile. This is my main Jazz guitar but I also use it in a lot of contemporary playing meaning rock and just wherever I need that warm sound.

So if you could help me out find something that's suitable for sweet warm jazz, but also nice and dirty for rock that'd be great. By rock I'd say well anything that classifies as rock really, I don't play core or metal and I run through an AC30 so that might say a bit!

I also play lots of Fusion and switch up between my Strat's and the 339 for that.

Cheers, if you need any more information just let me know.

Budget - $200 AUD? Again I'm not sure what a good budget is for pickups so I may be able to increase it. I was looking at perhaps just going standard and getting Gibson Burstbuckers or 57 Classics which are fitted on the Gibson 339.
Quote by greeny23
i shake the walls of my bedroom. with mah dick.
Quote by Eppicurt
Quote by NakedInTheRain
hey, be nice to the hipster.
I hear they use false bypass switches.

It's, like, so ironic.
i'm guessing you normally use the neck pickup for jazz? and the bridge for rockier stuff?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
A great, cheap, rock and roll/blues bridge pickup is the Washburn 423. NOS ones cost about $15 delivered on eBay. Another is the 623, which is a hair cleaner-sounding than the 423. I play without effects and these give one that great edge. They woke up my Epiphones, which all sounded quite dull with the original pickups. I have no experience with the corresponding neck pickups (W421s or W621s) as I don't use or buy neck pickups but these 423s and 623s are true, unknown, ignored, affordable blues/rock & roll sleepers. I have a 423 or a 623 on all of my guitars now.

Edit addendum:
I noticed that you're in Australia so these pickups may not be available locally. However, pickups are so small and light that it's still cheap to get them mailed to you. Seeing as these are only $15-20 US, you'd still spend less than getting anything else, even if they're making new custom pickups next door to you. They're worth a try. I corresponded with a guy on this forum who eventually decided to give one a try and he was really, really happy with them.

Remove V1 & V6. Put the 12AX7 from V1 into V6 and leave V1 empty. Try the vibrato channel.
Last edited by woad_yurt at Oct 19, 2013,
Look at a Seymour Duncan Custom Custom for the bridge (keep the height low) and an Alnico II Pro, or maybe even a Jazz (again keep the height low) for the neck.

If you want to get weird, consider an EMG 60A or 60AX in the bridge and a 60X in the neck.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
^EDIT: That's actually how EMG started out, making active pickups for jazz guitarists.

Have you looked into humbucker-sized P90's? That sounds like a great idea for your goal, stay away from the Seymour Duncan Phat Cats though. There are much better options available
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Dave yeah pretty much exactly right. I do use the bridge + the middle position for some clean rhythm at time though.

I'll look into the Alnico 2 and Seymour Duncan Custom Custom! I'm not exactly interested in P90's just because P90's are brighter then the sound I'm going for on the epiphone.

Cheers
Quote by greeny23
i shake the walls of my bedroom. with mah dick.
Quote by Eppicurt
Quote by NakedInTheRain
hey, be nice to the hipster.
I hear they use false bypass switches.

It's, like, so ironic.
ah ok. if you use both together a lot, then probably try to keep the outputs of each fairly similar. i mean, if you don't play anything too heavy, even paf output (or hot paf) should be hot enough, even for the bridge pickup.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Pearly gates in the bridge with a 59 in the neck ought to do it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Offworld92
Look at a Seymour Duncan Custom Custom for the bridge (keep the height low) and an Alnico II Pro, or maybe even a Jazz (again keep the height low) for the neck.

If you want to get weird, consider an EMG 60A or 60AX in the bridge and a 60X in the neck.

My thoughts exactly on the Custom/Jazz combo.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Sorry, just couldn't go with the EMGs. Can't stand that sound... Unless you like slamming your head against the wall, then just go for it. My Strat has Texas Specials, and sounds great. My 1962 reissue Sheridan II is stock, sounds pretty good, but Stormy Mondays are in the near future.