Title says it all. I have a pair of JJ el34's in my jcm 800 4211 (the two channel 2x12 combo). I'm wondering how much a quad of el34l's or possibly kt77's would work in it. The jj el34l's are supposed to bring more low end which is never a bad thing with my combo, however i'm pretty happy with the sound with the two celestion lead 80's that are in it, with my telecaster. I guess my goal with a new set of tubes would be just a cleaner tone with less break up and harsh mids.

Is more low end and headroom the only thing that the el34l's would bring? I have heard them compared to kt77's which I have been advised by a tech not to use with this specific amp. They pretty much said my amp would become a gain monster with the 77's. I enjoy the clean channel and use it more than the distortion so I don't want more gain or break up.

Is it possible that new tubes wouldn't do much for my amp at all and looking elsewhere, such as the pre-amp section or possibly an extension cab or an eq pedal would be a better idea?
It will make a bit of a difference but not a huge amount. You may pick the difference but the punters won't.
Preamp tubes will make a bigger difference. In that amp the only tubes I'd use apart from NOS would be JJ. From what you are saying I think they will do just what you want. But even then, the punters won't notice, just you.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
When you say NOS and JJ are the only way to go with this amp, do you mean in the pre amp section too?
JJ is a good safe bet for the pre-amp, but I really like the new Mullard 12ax7 in V1 of my Marshall. The Sovtek 12ax7LPS (the LPS part is crucial) is a great tube for the PI position.

If your willing to pay a little more the NOS JAN-GE/Phillips 5751 is a great tube and is an exact replacement for the 12ax7 tubes. They are only $30-$35 each.

I use SED =C= EL34 in my power section, and you can not find a better new power tube. I do have a set of JJ E34L but I have yet to use them.

KT77 are nice and so are 6Ca7 power tubes both are completely interchangeable.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by andyhatescrass

Is it possible that new tubes wouldn't do much for my amp at all and looking elsewhere, such as the pre-amp section or possibly an extension cab or an eq pedal would be a better idea?

Bingo.
I'd go with the extension cabinet, that would make a huge difference. No one in the audience would hear any difference with alternate EL34s.
Quote by andyhatescrass
When you say NOS and JJ are the only way to go with this amp, do you mean in the pre amp section too?
I was talking about the preamp. In the power amp, best is SED =C=, best value for money is JJ.

You'll only really notice substantial differences in power tubes if you are running the volume above about 2 o'clock.
I'm running 6CA7's in my JCM900 atm (same power amp as yours) and they've been fun but again, only once you start cranking them into power amp distortion.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Oct 21, 2013,
I put them in my XXX II and right away notice more bottom end like the 6L6's. Didn't really affect the tone or headroom much.