So the other night I was at a gig and one of the solo acts was playing guitar but in a different way. I've seen it done at a festival before but I just don't know what you call it.
To describe it, I suppose you could say, they played with their fingers over the guitar neck instead of under and did a combination of eight finger playing and beating out a rhythm on the guitar body (it was an acoustic). Could someone please tell me what this is called? I'd love to learn more about it!!

Also as a footnote, if you have any tips about learning this kind of thing I'd love to hear them or any places I could go to find this stuff.

Peace out