OK so i saw Metallica: Through The Never the other day and during the final credits there was a re-recorded version of Orion and watching the band play it and listening to it a few times got me thinking that [excluding the solo's] is Orion actually an easy song to learn?

To me it just sounds like 3 or 4 riffs repeated over and over again through the entire song (which isn't a bad thing) the only problem i can foresee for me is the alternate picking (but you don't improve unless you challenge yourself right?)
It's probably the easiest on MOP aside from The Thing That Should Not Be, The solo's not that difficult either. Really fun to play too go for it.
Someone is wrong on the internet. Only you can help.

Originally Posted by Tulkas
Stairway is required on any list of anything involving the words guitar or song, I believe Congress amended the constitution in order to put it into federal law.
It's probably the easiest Metallica song to learn from the early albums. A really good solo to learn as well if you're only beginning to play lead. It may be a little hard for your first solo but once you get the hang of Black Sabbath lead guitar(or whatever solos you decide to begin with) it's a nice step up.
It's also their best track overall.
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
I'm a Nazi schatzi, you know I'll fight for the Fatherland
Quote by azrael667
It's probably the easiest Metallica song to learn from the early albums. A really good solo to learn as well if you're only beginning to play lead. It may be a little hard for your first solo but once you get the hang of Black Sabbath lead guitar(or whatever solos you decide to begin with) it's a nice step up.

I haven't really solo'd before in my life, i mean i've learnt really simple solo's: Tom Petty's Listen to Her Heart being the obvious one

I have a decent down pick from my learning of Enter Sandman and my atempts at other Metallica songs, alt picking is ok from doing Thunderstruck, but i havne't done Metallica style alt picking really so that's gonna be new

AS i suck at judging the quality of tabs (still can't really learn by ear yet) is this tab decent? http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/m/metallica/orion_ver2_tab.htm
Quote by Tcrumpen
I haven't really solo'd before in my life, i mean i've learnt really simple solo's: Tom Petty's Listen to Her Heart being the obvious one

I have a decent down pick from my learning of Enter Sandman and my atempts at other Metallica songs, alt picking is ok from doing Thunderstruck, but i havne't done Metallica style alt picking really so that's gonna be new

AS i suck at judging the quality of tabs (still can't really learn by ear yet) is this tab decent? http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/m/metallica/orion_ver2_tab.htm

Good Metallica Alt-picking riffs
Jump In The Fire (Pretty easy for a beginner at alt-picking since it's slow for early Metallica.)
Whiplash (the best one to start with as far as riffing goes.
The Four Horseman (The triplet riff)
Metal Militia (Hard)
Fight The Fire With Fire (The Hardest Metallica Riff imo)
Trapped Under Ice
Creeping Death
Battery (it's got triplets and it's a little challenging with the chord changes)
Disposable Heroes (that timing in the open notes is ridiculous to try and get down, the fast riff is good alt picking practice though)
Damage Inc. (Hard)
Blackened (Hard)
One (The machine gun part)
Dyers Eve (very hard)

As far as the easiest Metallica solos, the first two in One are really easy, The Unforgiven is easy and sounds badass. For straight alt-picking lead guitar practice any of the solos from Kill 'Em All have pretty simple pentatonic patterns to practice. My advice is to get the tab book for Kill 'Em All. That lead fill towards the beginning of Phantom Lord is good for practice also. If you want any more suggestions just ask.

Stairway is required on any list of anything involving the words guitar or song, I believe Congress amended the constitution in order to put it into federal law.
Quote by KerNeL_KLuTcH
Good Metallica Alt-picking riffs
Jump In The Fire (Pretty easy for a beginner at alt-picking since it's slow for early Metallica.)
Whiplash (the best one to start with as far as riffing goes.
The Four Horseman (The triplet riff)
Metal Militia (Hard)
Fight The Fire With Fire (The Hardest Metallica Riff imo)
Trapped Under Ice
Creeping Death
Battery (it's got triplets and it's a little challenging with the chord changes)
Disposable Heroes (that timing in the open notes is ridiculous to try and get down, the fast riff is good alt picking practice though)
Damage Inc. (Hard)
Blackened (Hard)
One (The machine gun part)
Dyers Eve (very hard)

As far as the easiest Metallica solos, the first two in One are really easy, The Unforgiven is easy and sounds badass. For straight alt-picking lead guitar practice any of the solos from Kill 'Em All have pretty simple pentatonic patterns to practice. My advice is to get the tab book for Kill 'Em All. That lead fill towards the beginning of Phantom Lord is good for practice also. If you want any more suggestions just ask.

I have a tab book for The Black Album (Which i bought) and part of Garage Inc. (my uncle gave it to me a mate of his didn't want it anymore)

Was thinking of Whiplash, but i don't think i'll be able to get the speed up, when i alt pick i tend to tense up my hand
Last edited by Tcrumpen at Oct 19, 2013,
Quote by Tcrumpen
I have a tab book for The Black Album (Which i bought) and part of Garage Inc. (my uncle gave it to me a mate of his didn't want it anymore)

Was thinking of Whiplash, but i don't think i'll be able to get the speed up, when i alt pick i tend to tense up my hand

well that's your mistake, NEVER EVER tense up when playing, start out like half speed if you need to then work up speed. Also try not to stabilize your hand on the higher strings when alt-picking fast because it will hinder your progress in the long run, it ****ed me over for a while.

Another good riff for alt-picking is "Snow (Hey Oh)" By Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Quote by KerNeL_KLuTcH
well that's your mistake, NEVER EVER tense up when playing, start out like half speed if you need to then work up speed. Also try not to stabilize your hand on the higher strings when alt-picking fast because it will hinder your progress in the long run, it ****ed me over for a while.

Another good riff for alt-picking is "Snow (Hey Oh)" By Red Hot Chili Peppers.

i HATE Red Hot Chilli Peppers, when it gets played day after day on teh radio and by people in your sixth form you grow to hate it, i know i shouldn't tense up, i don't when practising Thunderstruck but that is at about 1/2 - 3/4 tempo, i need to learn to relax my hand, that's my problem