Hello UG community! I'm having a lot of trouble with my Jackson Soloist SL2H- I just can't get the intonation to a level I'm satisfied with. Notes in the lower portion of the neck (especially the third string, and on frets 3-7) tend to be sharp, more so than on my other guitars. The first luthier I brought it to told me there wasn't a serious problem and not to worry because I'm 'not a professional'. I wasn't particularly happy with this answer, so I called Fender. They paid for my guitar to be shipped to a 'Gold Level Service Provider', who gave the guitar a full inspection. This is his response (next paragraph), and now I have no idea what to do. Am I crazy? I'm open to pretty much any solution (I can't return it or I would). It's irritating me enough that I'm considering selling it, but I doubt I could get that much for it since it has a small chip on the lower bout of the body.

"Kyle,I measured all the specs that would have an effect on your intonation and reported them to Fender's tech department. Fender agree's that all the specs that would contribute to this symptom are within Fender's guidelines.What you're experiencing is considered normal for a Floyd Rose Equipped large fret guitar.The reason the G sounds worse is a combination of 2 things.1-unwound G strings are always a little intonation problematic.2-The space between the 1st fret and the bottom of the G string is larger then the other 5 strings and will tend to sound a little sharper than the others strings when fretted.If it was a non- metal nut I could re-cut the slot to minimize your symptom. Unfortunately the Floyd nut can't be altered, adjusted, and it's within spec.Fender's Tech Department stand on this is that the guitar is within specs and the symptom is an idiosyncracy of the guitar.The only other thing I noticed is that the symptom is less noticable when played acoustically so you may want to ear-test that for yourself and if you agree consider replacing the EMG's with a non-active set of pickups.Any further warranty discussion would have to be with xxx@ Fender as I've done everything I can do."

Thanks Guys!
Is it an OFR? or some sort of licensed one?
Jackson DK2FS
Fernandes FR-65

Morley pro series pedal
BBE two time Delay
Empress Nebulus
Subdecay Quantum Quasar
Solid Gold FX Nitro

Blackstar HT stage 100
Marshal 1922 2x12 (V-30, Greenback)
It would be immaterial whether it's an FRO (what they're calling them these days), or a clone (there are no more "licensed" Floyd Rose because a license is no longer necessary).

If your nut is mounted so that the string action is too high, or if it's mounted too far toward the bridge, you're going to have sharp notes. Both of those conditions can be corrected. If you're not using a very light touch and are pulling notes sharp by trying to make the strings touch the fretboard, then it's a question of technique on your part.

You might contact Gary Brawer in San Francisco (http://brawer.com/contact-us/ ) and ask him the same question as in your original post; he may have suggestions for you (I'm guessing you're a bit far from him to have him do the work). Someone telling me that I shouldn't worry about a relatively expensive guitar maintaining a high level of tune and playability because I'm not a professional would have said guitar winging at the side of the guy's head.

This kind of stupidity isn't tolerated in any other instrument's repair hierarchy -- if someone told me my Harrelson trumpet couldn't be intonated because I'm not a professional player I'd be all over the silly sumbitch with cleats. Okay, I'd probably just avoid ever using the guy again.

All that said, I have Floyds that have been correctly set up and I've really not had a lot of problems with intonation, though I'd guess that I may be a bit more lenient than some others in this regard.