Page 1 of 2
Gofuckyourself

It'd be so useful in so many situations

EDIT: Also, no.19 is Shadenfreude, though I'm pretty sure that isn't a word in any language
I hope it doesn't seem, like I'm young, foolish, and green.
Let me in for a minute, you're not my life but I want you in it

O Dayya, te echaré de menos, siempre

Y siempre
Y para siempre
Last edited by BlackLuster at Oct 19, 2013,
3 Backpfeifengesicht (German): A face badly in need of a fist

My mates and I always used 'punchface'.

Decent list, most of them are concepts at least that we understand and can use.
It's weird how there's 'niece' and 'nephew' but nothing to distinguish between male/female cousin

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
^Not to mention every time we try to talk about relative we have to explain "Well my grandma on my mother's side" when Chinese has separate words to distinguish maternal and paternal relatives.
Quote by Xiaoxi
It's weird how there's 'niece' and 'nephew' but nothing to distinguish between male/female cousin
Or the other way around: having a neutral word for both nieces and nephews would come in handy as well, because having to say "nieces and nephews" all the time is kind of a drag

/] 三方 [\
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Quote by Baby Joel
^Not to mention every time we try to talk about relative we have to explain "Well my grandma on my mother's side" when Chinese has separate words to distinguish maternal and paternal relatives.

Yeah, but it goes way overboard.
Check out my band Disturbed
Finnish has hundreds of words which mean whole sentences in english.

Some of said words are also like.. 20 letters long, but whatever
german is funny

Bakku-shan: A beautiful girl… as long as she’s being viewed from behind

...I think that's called a butterface

Guanxi (Mandarin): in traditional Chinese society, you would build up good guanxi by giving gifts to people, taking them to dinner, or doing them a favor, but you can also use up your gianxi by asking for a favor to be repaid

(social) credits r "kudos" would probably do for that one

Ilunga (Tshiluba, Congo): A person who is ready to forgive any abuse for the first time, to tolerate it a second time, but never a third time

Hmmmm... difficullt, but I think a "Tina Turner" might be appropiate there

L’esprit de l’escalier (French): usually translated as “staircase wit,” is the act of thinking of a clever comeback when it is too late to deliver it

That's a definite Jerkstore (or Costanza if you will)...

Mamihlapinatapai (Yaghan): A look between two people that suggests an unspoken, shared desire

Waldeinsamkeit (German): The feeling of being alone in the woods

Dem Germans

/] 三方 [\
Last edited by shwilly at Oct 19, 2013,
Tingo (Pascuense language of Easter Island): to borrow objects one by one from a neighbor’s house until there is nothing left.

Yesterday I wrote a letter to one of my lecturers and wanted to use a word that meant the opposite of 'postpone'. I found there was 'prepone' but the word wasn't recognised by some dictionaries. I'm still not sure it's a real word, but it should be.

EDIT: Did I just say 'letter'? I meant an email.

EDIT2: 3 Backpfeifengesicht (German): A face badly in need of a fist

That's amazing.
Last edited by WhiskeyFace at Oct 19, 2013,
isn't #9 just "relations"? that's what the chinese literally means.

some of these aren't so great.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by shwilly
...I think that's called a butterface

wouldn't that just be viewed from the neck down?
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
We need words for sister/brother-in-law.

As for German words, they are sometimes combined in a sentence seemingly endlessly.

IE "Donau-und-Rheindampferschiffahrtgesellschaftskapitanswitwenversicherungsrente" means the "Rhein and Donau steam shipping companies ship captains widows insurance pay"
uh, if it doesn't exist in english, we'll just steal it and misspell it if we need to convey what it means, or just say it using more words. Actually lets see this list.

I can think of a single english word to describe almost all 25 of those, either internet memes, slang, or words most would have to grab a dictioinary, but there's an english equivalent of what they described it as meaning.

Either someone is a shitty describer of these words, didn't use dictionary.com, or is just a romanticist over 'interesting' foreign words.
Last edited by stratkat at Oct 19, 2013,
Gigil (pronounced Gheegle; Filipino): The urge to pinch or squeeze something that is unbearably cute

Rape/Creepy

Meraki (pronounced may-rah-kee; Greek): Doing something with soul, creativity, or love. It’s when you put something of yourself into what you’re doing

Charisma?

Sgriob (Gaelic): The itchiness that overcomes the upper lip just before taking a sip of whisky

There's this word in Spanish: hostigar

In a social content it means "to bother" ("hostigozo": bothersome/tiresome) but it can also be applied to food. In that case it means "too much of (a certain flavor)", like too sweet or salty or greasy to the point that eating a lot of this product will just be plain unpleasant or cause you to become nauseated. TBH don't know a good translation for one that in any language

/] 三方 [\
Ooh, I have another one:

In the Netherlands people will often state something is "gezellig". I think the German equivalent might be "gemütlich" (not entirely sure), but basically it means something is "pleasant", only in a cozy way. A handjob for instance, while surely pleasant, will definitely not qualify as "gezellig". In order to fully grasp the concept you'll have to immerse yourself into the Dutch culture

A fireplace for instance can be well "gezellig", but only once it's on because that's what supposedly creates that good ol', homely atmosphere. "Gezellig" can often be applied to a situation, a general feeling or something that might cause some serious "gezelligheid" to occur, such as:

-Closing the blinds so no one can see into your house (quite essential apparently)

-Rearranging your garden gnomes, then staring at your work in full satisfaction

-Watching some lame variety show with your grandma

-Stating that something is "gezellig", just for the sake of it (that I guess is what makes it official)

Here's the thing tho: "gezellig" can also carry the subliminal meaning of something being boring as f*ck -> if you're at a party and there's no music, no snacks worth putting into your mouth and everybody's just sitting there, having a bad time and wishing they were somewhere else... well at some point somebody (usually an older woman) WILL crack and utter a room-filling "well, isn't this gezellig", at which point everyone in said room will reply "oh yes, definetly, such a great time we're having over here..."

It's such a weird thing because deep down everybody at those horrible parties know what that sentence REALLY means, yet when they leave and someone asks "how was your aunt's birthday" they'll just say "oh well you know, gezellig" and you still have no idea what they mean by it because they'll use the exact same word to describe a nice dinner or an entertaining gig at a small venue. That word just gets WAY overused

/] 三方 [\
Last edited by shwilly at Oct 19, 2013,
I think we need a word that means your taint itches, but you can't scratch it because you're in public.

or

It's hot and sweaty and my balls are stuck to my thighs and I want to unstick them, but I'm in public.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by rprdo
"Gambiarra" should be there, it's commonly used to describe shit like this

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSu7Y8YlJCRiQMuHXQ_0YLmI2CLRp9bpYzzfYPFm2Cec0iMJmQcaA

Edit: from portuguese

It's called "desenrascanço" (or "desenrasque", depends on the situation) and it's there on the list, number five.

We have another word that doesn't have any real correspondent in English that is kind of important and I think English should have - "saudade". It expresses the feeling of missing someone, or something, the anguish of longing for someone. The closest you have to that is homesick and its only applicable when you miss your home.
We need more pronouns in English. Like this:

"Jenny told Jill that she had already eaten the whole cake."

The word "she" is ambiguous. Was Jenny telling Jill that she (Jenny) had already eaten the whole cake or that she (Jill) had eaten the whole thing without realizing or remembering it? If we had a second set of pronouns for each gender, it would be obvious what who ate the cake.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by rprdo
"Gambiarra" should be there, it's commonly used to describe shit like this

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSu7Y8YlJCRiQMuHXQ_0YLmI2CLRp9bpYzzfYPFm2Cec0iMJmQcaA

Edit: from portuguese

I'm Portuguese and I've never heard that in my life.
Also, the Portuguese one on the list should be "desenrascar"; "desenrascanço" is the noun (the "concept" of getting oneself out of a tricky situation).
Quote by little_boy
We have another word that doesn't have any real correspondent in English that is kind of important and I think English should have - "saudade". It expresses the feeling of missing someone, or something, the anguish of longing for someone. The closest you have to that is homesick and its only applicable when you miss your home.

Why need a word for that if you can express it in song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Anlm0GtGSOQ

/] 三方 [\
Meraki (pronounced may-rah-kee; Greek): Doing something with soul, creativity, or love. It’s when you put something of yourself into what you’re doing

Passion..?
Quote by little_boy
It's called "desenrascanço" (or "desenrasque", depends on the situation) and it's there on the list, number five.

lovesick? which usually wouldn't apply to things as opposed to people, but i'd argue it's even better because it's more specific.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by vIsIbleNoIsE
lovesick? which usually wouldn't apply to things as opposed to people, but i'd argue it's even better because it's more specific.

It's not exactly the same. I'm not sure I'm able to explain, but as someone who understands both words ("saudade" and "lovesick") and their meaning, I can tell you they don't mean the same thing. It's difficult to really explain to someone what "saudade" means. The only way I find to describe it in English is the one I used before, the feeling of "missingness" (there, I arranged a word to help others understand). It doesn't necessarily mean that you want who, or what, is gone back, it's just the sense of void that can't be filled with anything else. It also expresses hope, in some way, that one day everything will be alright again.

It may not seem like it, but I'm having a hard time trying to explain better than this. I myself am no expert with words, and explaining such a complex concept has proven to be harder than I originally anticipated
from wiki

" It describes a deep emotional state of nostalgic or deeply melancholic longing for an absent something or someone that one loves. Moreover, it often carries a repressed knowledge that the object of longing will never return.[2] A stronger form of saudade may be felt towards people and things whose whereabouts are unknown, such as a lost lover, or a family member who has gone missing.
Saudade was once described as "the love that remains" after someone is gone. Saudade is the recollection of feelings, experiences, places or events that once brought excitement, pleasure, well-being, which now triggers the senses and makes one live again. It can be described as an emptiness, like someone (e.g., one's children, parents, sibling, grandparents, friends, pets) or something (e.g., places, things one used to do in childhood, or other activities performed in the past) that should be there in a particular moment is missing, and the individual feels this absence. It brings sad and happy feelings all together, sadness for missing and happiness for having experienced the feeling."
Trowzaa to the rescue

I don't know how I didn't think of going to the wikipedia for a defniniton. Very helpful indeed.
Piparminttusuklaakaramelli

= Peppermint candies filled with chocolate

There. English needs that word. **** saying 5
Quote by shwilly
"the act of thinking of a clever comeback when it is too late to deliver it"

That's a definite Jerkstore

It's decided. Jerkstore is going in the dictionary.
Vinland, Vinland Über Alles

"Why do they still call me a warlord? And mad? All I want to do is create the perfect genetic soldier!"
Quote by sam b
Piparminttusuklaakaramelli

= Peppermint candies filled with chocolate

There. English needs that word. **** saying 5

Peppermentfilledchocolatecandy

It's not any less stupid in English than it is in Finnish.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Page 1 of 2