Page 1 of 4

I think maybe he's right. Discuss.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
I always find it funny how people who argue in favor of this shit have an excuse on why they should be one of the ones left alone that doesn't make any sense and is usually ridiculously egocentric.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Because people's beliefs on what we should do with the earth's resources are all different in differing cultures and shit.
Quote by Dreadnought
Okay, we'll start with you

Beat me to it.
Quote by necrosis1193
I always find it funny how people who argue in favor of this shit have an excuse on why they should be one of the ones left alone that doesn't make any sense and is usually ridiculously egocentric.

Because people want to feel morally superior, but without the baggage.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Oct 19, 2013,
If we were all forced to fap 42 times in one sitting we could then filter the population down to true heros and water the environment with love and compassion.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
If we were all forced to fap 42 times in one sitting we could then filter the population down to true heros and water the environment with love and compassion.

But there would be no one left but Ian and that would be bad for the planet.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
I don't think the guy in the picture was motioning that we kill people. It's really not a difficult matter to comprehend, here's the idea in brief:

don't breed as much, because your garbage children aren't special and the next one won't be either
Shame on me for entering this thread expecting a serious debate.
"Dude, am I really thinking or am I, just like, thinking that I'm thinking?" -Bill Nye

CHIMPS>WOLVES

Quote by progdude93
I don't believe the Big Bang
He's not really wrong. You see some of those dumb famous families and you can only think "do you REALLY need 20 kids?"
Quote by rprdo
There is no universal truth,

Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
Quote by soundgarden1986
He's not really wrong. You see some of those dumb famous families and you can only think "do you REALLY need 20 kids?"

Well, as much as Angelina Jolie and Madonna are criticized for their public adoptions of many children, at the very least they aren't making more. Better to use the ones we have.
Quote by Dreadnought
Okay, we'll start with you

Obviously he doesn't mean start to kill people, but introduce population controls etc. not mass cullings of humans.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
i sure hope he's attempting to make a good argument for contraception right there.

he has a point though. human population growth is a threat to our environment which is in turn a threat to human population growth. we're smarter than to torture ourselves with that malthusian nonsense and it's in our best interest to find the equilibrium ourself and tend towards it ETHICALLY. that either means encouraging people to stop breeding so much on their own will, or shifting that equilibrium upwards with technology. actually i'm not sure at all if this was the point he was trying to make.
i don't know why i feel so dry
The Pit is the only place that people would think David Attenborough would advocate genocide.

Quote by HypernovaGlow
Shame on me for entering this thread expecting a serious debate.

ew

Quote by severed-metal
Well, as much as Angelina Jolie and Madonna are criticized for their public adoptions of many children, at the very least they aren't making more. Better to use the ones we have.

ya i was specifically talking about families like this

Quote by EndTheRapture51
Obviously he doesn't mean start to kill people, but introduce population controls etc. not mass cullings of humans.

Yes, because -- hey, fuck freedom and human rights and such. Fuck all of that...
Okay so who wants to go over to india and china and go door to door telling people not to have babies?

Or better yet!

Walk in on every couple having sex for the next 20 years and prevent the guy from finishing. Easy.
Quote by rprdo
There is no universal truth,

sure there is
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I agree with this. It seems like a lot of people have kids without really thinking about having to raise them, because it's just what people do.
You folks who are "for" greater birth regulations, you're preaching to the wrong crowd - the areas with the worst problems with this are "third world" nations or, generally, very impoverished areas throughout the world. Working hard to limit birth rates in nations which are already relatively low in that regard is akin to emptying the ocean with a bucket.
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by necrosis1193

Because there's a difference in saying we should curb population increase and saying we should kill people currently alive?

Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Yes, because -- hey, fuck freedom and human rights and such. Fuck all of that...

I think a big part of this kind of thinking is that allowing uncontrolled population increase would generally lead to bad consequences of equal scale. Freedom is all well and good to talk about now, but letting it go out of control at the expense of future generations having a much more limited scope for freedom and welfare due to overpopulation and lack resources is very short sighted.

Regardless of which, slowing population increases doesn't have to infringe anyone's rights. Denying people the ability to reproduce by force isn't the only way to slow reproduction, widespread education and spread of contraception would do the job just as well.

EDIT: ^ Akin to what Dread is saying above, the biggest problem with population growth isn't in rich countries where you'd enforce controls, it's in poor countries where better education and access to contraception would do the same job. ^
Last edited by MadClownDisease at Oct 19, 2013,
Quote by metaldud536
We will leave the planet eventually and live in space colonies.

You've watched too many sci-fi films, kid.
Quote by Dave Mustaine
If you want to be treated intelligently, act intelligent.

Quote by rolandroi
You've watched too many sci-fi films, kid.

To most degrees, he's probably right - extended space exploration and colonization is nearly a guarantee if not precluded by a much more unlikely serious catastrophe that either annihilated us and/or Earth

Quote by metaldud536
We will leave the planet eventually and live in space colonies.

(assuming for a moment you're being serious) the thing is, unless we find a way to sustain ourselves on only sunlight and survive in very adverse environmental conditions (ie the cold vacuum of space), we won't manage that, and if we can do that... why would we leave earth?
Quote by MadClownDisease
(assuming for a moment you're being serious) the thing is, unless we find a way to sustain ourselves on only sunlight and survive in very adverse environmental conditions (ie the cold vacuum of space), we won't manage that, and if we can do that... why would we leave earth?

Why have we ALREADY left Earth? Its not a difficult question. Unless, of course, you meant entirely leave.
Quote by Dreadnought
Why have we ALREADY left Earth? Its not a difficult question. Unless, of course, you meant entirely leave.

I mean leave as in for people to not live on earth. Not necessarily entirely, but any technology that would enable us to live in space would seemingly also make living on earth possible, regardless of the conditions.
I disagree. Yes, we should make efforts to prevent us from reaching our carrying capacity but everybody already knows that the first world is about to experience- or in some countries- already experiencing a birth rate crisis. As dreadnought pointed out, it is in third world countries where this is an issue, which will be difficult to fight. Hopefully, as things improve (I have faith ) that will be less of an issue.

The key is to make our current population sustainable, and possibly allowing some decrease, but nothing that will throw the world economy into chaos.
Quote by Dreadnought
You folks who are "for" greater birth regulations, you're preaching to the wrong crowd - the areas with the worst problems with this are "third world" nations or, generally, very impoverished areas throughout the world. Working hard to limit birth rates in nations which are already relatively low in that regard is akin to emptying the ocean with a bucket.

This. Modernization results in lower birth rates. If it wasn't for evil bastards (coughPopecough) stopping condom shipments and proper contraceptive education, those places would be better off.
Quote by MadClownDisease
I mean leave as in for people to not live on earth. Not necessarily entirely, but any technology that would enable us to live in space would seemingly also make living on earth possible, regardless of the conditions.

I don't know. A way to produce oxygen via some technology on another planet is probably a lot safer than living on a planet devastated by nuclear weaponry.
Well we've all see what happens in China since its one-child-per-family policy. Babies being flushed down the drains, huge gender imbalance due to a society tailored to a workforce of males and a the current generations are averaging older and older. Retirement age is going up, wages can't follow inflation and they're already talking about abolishing it.

Trying to curb an exponential population growth in an LEDC is building cities on sand. It's just not something you can do in 20 years.
Somewhere along the 'natural' course of history, we ****ed up..as a species. The civilisations that got left behind will continue to drag the world back from real progression in the sense of saving the environment.

I agree with David's point, but unless he or anyone else can actually see how to achieve it without enlisting some new Genghis Khans then it's a moot point.
Quote by necrosis1193

welcome to the mindset of the leftist environmentalist, "we know what's best for everyone else" they are essentially a bunch of totalitarian statists.
Someone is wrong on the internet. Only you can help.

Originally Posted by Tulkas
Stairway is required on any list of anything involving the words guitar or song, I believe Congress amended the constitution in order to put it into federal law.
Quote by Trowzaa
I don't know. A way to produce oxygen via some technology on another planet is probably a lot safer than living on a planet devastated by nuclear weaponry.

Nah. You think we'll survive on an alien planet/environment longer than the highly irradiated earth? There's no other place for us but earth. We won't live longer than a year inside a space ship. There's a lot of things to consider.
Quote by Dave Mustaine
If you want to be treated intelligently, act intelligent.

of course we have to control both the population and the environment. the controlling of population has to be sensitive though. let's not kill people. let's prevent the creation of further people. anything else is silly and hilter-esque
"I specialize in driving a set like I'm driving a Lexus" - Uncle Mez
Page 1 of 4