I've got an opportunity to purchase a like new Blackstar HT Series HT-5H and HT-110 Mini Full Stack for $199 plus tax. About $220 if said and done.

Apparently some kid has a father who has more money than sense and after buying him this mini full stack, the son decided he'd rather have a new guitar instead. Apparently this isn't the first time the duo has done this as they seem to be notorious for this sort of behavior with someone other than the sales guy that took me in the back to show me this equipment and tell me what a deal it was at that price.

I see these selling all over the net for roughly $549.00. I don't need another amp, head, or cabinet. I do need a 2x12 cab for a 120w tube head I recently purchased which was why I was in the store last night looking around. If I could turn it over for $400 or more that's a plus for me and would pay for an unfinished cabinet sans speakers I'm looking to purchase.

My question: Should I buy this Blackstar mini stack and flip it? It gets rave reviews from many different sources. Always looking for a bargain that I can wheel and deal with for something better.

Any comments related to the Blackstar HT Series HT-5H and HT-110 Mini Full Stack at $199 in like new condition greatly appreciated.

Last edited by PaulGF at Oct 19, 2013,
If you're just buying it to flip it, what do you care if it's any good? I thought it sounded pretty bad, but I'm not trying to buy it.

If you're confident you can turn a profit on it, sure, go for it. I don't see how the quality of the thing factors in at all, either there's a market you can profit from or there isn't. I certainly wouldn't buy it expecting to love every minute of playing it until you can flip it.
Quote by Roc8995
If you're just buying it to flip it, what do you care if it's any good? I thought it sounded pretty bad, but I'm not trying to buy it.

If you're confident you can turn a profit on it, sure, go for it. I don't see how the quality of the thing factors in at all, either there's a market you can profit from or there isn't. I certainly wouldn't buy it expecting to love every minute of playing it until you can flip it.
Thank you for your reply. As I said, I'm looking for thoughts and opinions. You're the first that I've heard isn't exactly thrilled with its sound and build quality and I don't rely on information from those who sell them, but from unbiased third party reviewers that have no dog in the fight.

In the equipment review section of this website it gets a 9.6 which I thought impressive. I am looking for additional and any other information not included within that review and its comments.

I may wind up keeping it as I've done with other gear purchased with the intention of selling it for a profit. But it's getting to the point where I'm getting low on available space and will have to sell something just to make room.

Will also have to get with my insurance company and get a policy to cover what I've acquired over the past couple of years. Likely a special rider for the instruments.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.
I think the Blackstar phenomena has a lot to do with their target audience. I suspect that people foam at the mouth over them because they're the only thing they've heard besides their starter pack amps or entry level modelers stock settings.

Glaringly positive reviews are mostly BS, I think. I suspect they're most often made by people still in the honeymoon period, who also need to psychologically validate their purchase, so they say it's super good.

...I have lots of suspicions.

Anyway, to the point, my gut reaction is that I would not buy a Blackstar to flip for profit. You know how much they cost, and you know how much you can get one for, but you also need to again consider their target audience, and wonder how many people are actually buying used Blackstars, and those specific pieces in particular. 1x10 cabs are not very popular (for good reason IMO). The head you would be able to flip pretty easily probably, but the cabs may not grant you so much luck.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Oct 19, 2013,
Quote by PaulGF
I don't rely on information from those who sell them, but from unbiased third party reviewers that have no dog in the fight.

You don't have to be selling something to have a bias. Most reviews are written shortly after purchase by people who own the product, which selects out the people who didn't buy the product or owned and then sold it. I don't generally trust online reviews much for that reason, and doubly so for cheap gear where the average reviewer has often only played a few low-end competitors. A lot of undeniably crappy gear has great reviews online because the target market for that stuff doesn't know any better.

The great thing about forums like this is that you get to ask questions instead of search for already extant answers, so the responses you get are not pre-loaded reviews from people who specifically sat down and wanted to write about the product. To me, that provides a far less biased group of opinions.

Anyway, if it were me personally, and I had so much gear that I didn't have room for a 1x12 footprint stack, I'd have to ask myself some serious questions about how and why I was acquiring so much gear. If your collection is all nice stuff that you genuinely like, why bother with a low-end amp like the Blackstar? If it's all gear similar to the Blackstar, why not consolidate a bit and get a few pieces of nice gear instead of a huge collection of entry-level stuff? I don't know your particular situation, but we see people all the time looking for their twelfth budget guitar and it seems like a waste. Unless you really just like collecting stuff, you might be better served by a smaller collection of more carefully chosen gear.
Quote by Roc8995
Anyway, if it were me personally, and I had so much gear that I didn't have room for a 1x12 footprint stack, I'd have to ask myself some serious questions about how and why I was acquiring so much gear. If your collection is all nice stuff that you genuinely like, why bother with a low-end amp like the Blackstar? If it's all gear similar to the Blackstar, why not consolidate a bit and get a few pieces of nice gear instead of a huge collection of entry-level stuff? I don't know your particular situation, but we see people all the time looking for their twelfth budget guitar and it seems like a waste. Unless you really just like collecting stuff, you might be better served by a smaller collection of more carefully chosen gear.
I have a some vintage home audio gear that takes up a lot of space. Klipsch LaScalas, Klipsch Cornwalls, etc., along with some guitar amps.

Have three nice guitar amps, head. I think I've made my decision. Thanks.
Blackstar stuff does not sell well because the gear doesn’t live up to the internet hype and there’s a ton of it on the secondary market. The mini stack is especially hard to sell because few people want to buy 1x10" cabinets to begin with, and especially not one with a shitty speaker in them.
Quote by jpnyc
Blackstar stuff does not sell well because the gear doesn’t live up to the internet hype and there’s a ton of it on the secondary market. The mini stack is especially hard to sell because few people want to buy 1x10" cabinets to begin with, and especially not one with a shitty speaker in them.
I'm going to pass, but the speakers in these cabinets are Celestions. Guess they could still be crap though.
Celestion makes a lot of crappy OEM speakers in addition to their very good standard lineup. If it were one of their decent models the spec sheet would mention which one it was. Instead they haven't even bothered to give the speaker a name as far as I can tell.
Quote by PaulGF
I'm going to pass, but the speakers in these cabinets are Celestions. Guess they could still be crap though.

just because they are " Celestions" doesn't mean anything. Celestion makes some horrible speakers aswell as some decent ones. The type of Celestion is what you want to pay attention to.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
As others have stated already the Blackstar does not have really good resale value. You probably would make a profit, but probably not enough to warrant the hassle.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Charvel So Cal Pro Mod, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
That profit seems way too good to be true.
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Art & Lutherie Electric Cutaway
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Vox Original Wah-Wah Pedal V847-A
MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion