Guys i need your help
I've been trying to teach myself guitar after i finished with my teacher. The problem is all i end up doing i playing parts of songs like a solo or a catchy riff. I never know what theory to learn. The only scales i really know are all the positions of the A minor pentatonic.
What do i do know? what do i learn?
Generally in this order:

- Open chords
- FULL SONGS that use open chords (eg Bob Dylan)
- Barre chords
- FULL SONGS that use barre chords
- Major/minor scales
- Learn to harmonise scales to make chords
- Learn about keys, learn to use ear to recognise key of song
- Learn accidentals

If you learn all of the above, you can explain any song ever made from a theory perspective, and also have the foundation to play them.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Try major and minor scales in the 3 note per string pattern, then learn how chords are related to scales. As far as songs go, just grit your teeth and learn the whole song; it will help you both musically and technically.
Quote by easily_suede
Try major and minor scales in the 3 note per string pattern, then learn how chords are related to scales. As far as songs go, just grit your teeth and learn the whole song; it will help you both musically and technically.

The 3nps pattern is more dealing with technical ability, not music theory.

However, learning the intervals of the major and minor scales is an excellent place to start; and I suppose one could study that alongside the 3nps patter to reinforce both theory and technical ability.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Oct 21, 2013,
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
The 3nps pattern is more dealing with technical ability, not music theory.

Well you gotta get it on the fretboard somehow.

If you wanna get into it, scales and chords aren't theory by themselves. Theory is about form, primarily, and how all the other elements come together to make something interesting out of a basic structure. Harmony, melody, and rhythm are just the rudiments of Music Theory.

You can use those basics to label the chords and scales in any piece of music, but they won't help you analyze it and understand why certain chords/melodies appear when they do.
Last edited by cdgraves at Oct 22, 2013,