Hey everyone,

I am fairly new to home recording and would like to purchase a new rack mounted piece of hardware.

I am looking for a rack unit that i can plug my guitar into, digital piano (via USB or XLR), and digital drums (via USB). From there, I would like the unit to feed into my computer to record, and for all instruments to be able to be heard out of the speaker monitors through this unit. Also, I would like the digital piano and drums to have different tones come out of the monitors and recordings with live VSTs adjusting the the sound in real time. Lastly, I would like the unit to have phantom power.

Is there a unit out there that can do all of this for me?

Thanks guys,

Zeus
Do you need to do all of this at once?

Also, read the Interfaces Sticky.
Why does this need to be a rack mounted?

It doesn't need to be. I mean it can be, you can buy rack mounted interfaces, but it doesn't need to be and it'll cost more for it to be so.

From that sounds of it you need an interface of some kind, depending on how many mics you plan to use at once you'll want a different model, if it HAS to be a rackmount you're looking at something with a lot of inputs at quite a high price. Then Steven Slate or Superior Drummer, EZKeys or similar and just do that. You don't need to plug USB equipment into anything separate, it just goes in to USB on the computer, that's why the USB is there. If you REALLY want to plug midi equipment into these things you'd use a midi connector, not an XLR or USB.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Oct 19, 2013,
Since you're talking about connecting USB to a piece of rack gear, I'm going to wager you don't really have a clue what you need. You've also mentioned phantom power without actually talking about how many mic preamps etc you need.

Why don't you start again by telling us what you've got and what you want to do?
Quote by zeus1356

I am looking for
- that i can plug my guitar into,
- digital piano (via USB or XLR)
- digital drums (via USB).
- unit to have phantom power

The digital piano and drums are going to be sending midi data via USB. So, you need a couple of free USB ports. Most modern-ish computers should have a couple that are not being used. You should be fine there.

The guitar... there are a few ways of recording that. You might use yet another USB input, but that is almost never your best bet. So, look for using an input or two on your interface - either XLR, 1/4", or one or two of each, depending on how you want to record it. Bare minimum, one or the other type of input.. . and one of them. Want over the top? Mic it up with four or five mics, plus a direct input and see what shakes down.

The digital piano - if you love the sound that comes from it as-is, there's no reason not to record it that way. Grab it in stereo, though, and run a couple of XLR's.

In short, you'll need, say, four XLR inputs, phantom power, and maybe a couple of 1/4" inputs. That represents a pretty basic interface, really.

Quote by zeus1356

From there, I would like the unit to feed into my computer to record, and for all instruments to be able to be heard out of the speaker monitors through this unit.

Again, pretty standard fare for any interface, really. Look for a minimum of 2 analog outs. Most of them these days have four anyways. That will allow you to hook up your speaker monitors and maybe a headphone amp or a second set of speakers or something too.

Quote by zeus1356

Also, I would like the digital piano and drums to have different tones come out of the monitors and recordings with live VSTs adjusting the the sound in real time.

This is the domain of your recording software. Look for a software package that will support VST instruments and you're good to go. The interface you buy will even come bundled (probably, anyways) with some software, so maybe look for an interface that comes with Cubase AI, Cubase LE, or something like that.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.