What happened to all the tabs?
I'm clicking top 100 and filtering for guitar pro and just about every one says
"This tab has been removed at the request of the publisher" or it's a "demo version". Wtf?? How do they get in the top 100 if they can't be viewed or downloaded.
I see what you mean. They were viewable before, but now everything has changed.

It's probably because the top 100 are compiled of crazy popular songs. And for some reason, the publishers of crazy popular songs (or in most cases, underrated artists that have gone through the trouble of releasing a tab book) are crazy sensitive about publicly available tabs.

I'm not sure why, but a LOT of tabs have been taken down for the same reason, recently.
Quote by SGstriker
If KFC is finger-licking good, then people would probably suck dicks for Popeyes. That's how good it is.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
My reply is similar to Joshua. Music companies are concerned with making as much money as they can on a song. This means anything that can help you to learn and play it is done away with. Let's say you learn a song so well you decide to release a cover. The music company would not make money from this.
Quote by rybread3
My reply is similar to Joshua. Music companies are concerned with making as much money as they can on a song. This means anything that can help you to learn and play it is done away with. Let's say you learn a song so well you decide to release a cover. The music company would not make money from this.

Actually, when you post a cover to Youtube (the most common method to 'release a cover') the company does make money from it.
If it was so lucrative for them to allow people to release free tablature they would go over any hurdle to make sure that people did.
Quote by rybread3
If it was so lucrative for them to allow people to release free tablature they would go over any hurdle to make sure that people did.

I never claimed it was lucrative, buddy.
You claimed it made the record company money when someone posted something like a cover on youtube. That is ridiculous. It might make youtube money and get people interested in the song. All good things, but no record company makes money when a video is posted.
Quote by rybread3
You claimed it made the record company money when someone posted something like a cover on youtube. That is ridiculous. It might make youtube money and get people interested in the song. All good things, but no record company makes money when a video is posted.

Youtube recognizes the owner of the copyright and gives them the option to have it removed or receive ad revenue.
Quote by dfwgreg1970
The point is, this site won't be very valuable if every popular song is blocked.

I doubt that. This site has thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands of tabs. Losing ad revenue on the top 100 would mean nothing. Also, I think it is being seriously overestimated how many tabs are being blocked. I just went to the top 100 guitar pro list and clicked on 10 tabs at random, and none were blocked.
Quote by dfwgreg1970
The point is, this site won't be very valuable if every popular song is blocked.

That's true. I noticed it is also really hard to get a regular tab up. And when I look up an obscure song there is usually only one decent tab. The rest are garbage. Copyright law is really restrictive. I wasn't going to reply anymore, but this was a good point.
Quote by Macabre_Turtle
I doubt that. This site has thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands of tabs. Losing ad revenue on the top 100 would mean nothing. Also, I think it is being seriously overestimated how many tabs are being blocked. I just went to the top 100 guitar pro list and clicked on 10 tabs at random, and none were blocked.

I'm not sure what you're talking about. I just clicked the first 10 of the top 100 guitar pro tabs and got 3 removed, 7 "demos". Same with 11-20...3 removed and 7 demos. The demos are not the full tab and prompt you to buy pay for access to a full tab (worthless). My original post said I'm seeing either "removed" or "demo" versions. So on my spot check of the top 20, I found 100 percent removed or demo versions. I don't think I'm overestimating.

Oddly I can access the download link via smart phone for some of these that is not accessible on pc.
Quote by dfwgreg1970
I'm not sure what you're talking about. I just clicked the first 10 of the top 100 guitar pro tabs and got 3 removed, 7 "demos". Same with 11-20...3 removed and 7 demos. The demos are not the full tab and prompt you to buy pay for access to a full tab (worthless). My original post said I'm seeing either "removed" or "demo" versions. So on my spot check of the top 20, I found 100 percent removed or demo versions. I don't think I'm overestimating.

Oddly I can access the download link via smart phone for some of these that is not accessible on pc.

I just successfully opened all 10 of the top 10 guitar pro tabs. Am I not looking at the same page that you are?

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/top/top100_pro.htm
Quote by Macabre_Turtle
I just successfully opened all 10 of the top 10 guitar pro tabs. Am I not looking at the same page that you are?

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/top/top100_pro.htm

That's the same list. This is really weird. I'm using wimdows 8. I tries chrome, internet explorer and firefox. Every metallica song I try is removed. I will tey a wimdows 7 computer tomorrow.

So when you open the first one you see the full tab and download link? Nothing about being removed?
I'll try. I have a mac. I'll let you know if I get anything odd or if it works.
I was able to open it fine. It opened in tab pro however, since I was given that by the site. I tried Led Zeppelin "Stairway to Heaven" since I can play that. It looked fine.
Quote by dfwgreg1970
That's the same list. This is really weird. I'm using wimdows 8. I tries chrome, internet explorer and firefox. Every metallica song I try is removed. I will tey a wimdows 7 computer tomorrow.

So when you open the first one you see the full tab and download link? Nothing about being removed?

I'm on Windows 8, Firefox, and I opened it completely into Guitar Pro.

Maybe it's regional. Are you not U.S.?
I'm in Texas. I don't have guitar pro installed yet. I'm installing tomorrow. I was going to download some to my pc. I can download from my phone even connected to the same wireless network.
Did you get my friend request? Try to get a few tabs up. The website gave me a reader program for free that works with guitar pro. I just had to publish 3 tabs. It's a shame I can't get any more up.
Quote by rybread3
Did you get my friend request? Try to get a few tabs up. The website gave me a reader program for free that works with guitar pro. I just had to publish 3 tabs. It's a shame I can't get any more up.

Do you mean this site won't allow me to view tabs without posting some?
No, I don't mean that. You can get something that views the guitar pro tabs for free if you get three up. Otherwise you have to buy the program you are going to download. Accept my friend request I sent.
I'm on a windows 7 computer now and ...same thing. http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/m/metallica/nothing_else_matters_ver7_guitar_pro.htm

That's the link for the first guitar pro tab. I get no tab just the following message with a frown face: "This tab has been removed at the request of the publisher
Wherever possible, Ultimate Guitar will try to work with the publisher to restore the tab to the site"

For the Eagles Hotel California I get a "Demo Version" http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/e/eagles/hotel_california_guitar_pro.htm.

Just two lines of tab and a link that says: "Hotel California" by Eagles PLAY or get full version.

There is no download link to download the guitar pro tab for later viewing in guitar pro.

Am I doing something wrong??? I'm logged in. I goto http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/top/top100_pro.htm and I click the song title to view the tab. Should I not be clicking the song title?
I must be doing something wrong. Every GUITAR PRO tab I try is either removed or a "demo" version. I'm clicking the song title.
Quote by dfwgreg1970
I must be doing something wrong. Every GUITAR PRO tab I try is either removed or a "demo" version. I'm clicking the song title.

Those demo versions are part of a UG service. You have to scroll down further and click on "Download Guitar Pro Tab."
Ok that helps with the Demo versions. I don't have guitar pro installed yet so I can't view the downloaded item, but I assume it won't just be a demo version in the download?

This doesn't solve the ones that are showing removed, but thanks for your help.
Quote by dfwgreg1970
Ok that helps with the Demo versions. I don't have guitar pro installed yet so I can't view the downloaded item, but I assume it won't just be a demo version in the download?

This doesn't solve the ones that are showing removed, but thanks for your help.

Ones that are removed are legal issues, but strangely, none of these tabs are showing up as removed for me. The demos are to be ignored. Basically, a while back, UG launched a service (Tab Pro, I think it's called? Whatever...) where they took everybody's Guitar Pro files, turned them into files for this service, and they let you charge a monthly fee to play those tabs instead of buying Guitar Pro and opening the proper GP files. Basically, those demos you're seeing are just UG advertising themselves, and they have no effect on the tab you're actually trying to get to.
Quote by Macabre_Turtle
Ones that are removed are legal issues, but strangely, none of these tabs are showing up as removed for me. The demos are to be ignored. Basically, a while back, UG launched a service (Tab Pro, I think it's called? Whatever...) where they took everybody's Guitar Pro files, turned them into files for this service, and they let you charge a monthly fee to play those tabs instead of buying Guitar Pro and opening the proper GP files. Basically, those demos you're seeing are just UG advertising themselves, and they have no effect on the tab you're actually trying to get to.

Weird. So this one doesn't show up as removed? How does it show?

http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/m/metallica/nothing_else_matters_ver7_guitar_pro.htm
The concept of this software is awesome, but it doesn't work very well. The meter que quickly falls behind time, the software is slow to respond, some options under instruments once you turn it on or off there is no option to reverse it.
The thing I hate the most is I tried signing up for three months for 3.99 but it instead decided to give me a free trial that will automatically renew itself in 3 days at 7.99. YOU GUYS are rip off artists. I see no way to contact you and complain or correct the charge. I will probably cancel just because of Ultimate Guitar/ Pro Tabs sorry business tatics. Other than the above the software can still be useful. Y'all need to get it together.
Still no luck. Miranda Lambert House that built me, Sweet Home Alabama and tons more show as REMOVED with no download link on any computer I try. I can go to them on my phone and the link is there. I can download it and email it to myself. What is going on??????????
According to UG tech support some songs are blocked in certain countries but this doesn't apply to cell phones. Still doesn't make sense because some US users here are able to view songs that I cannot. I've tried Hide My Ass and a couple of other proxy switchers with no luck. If anyone else has any ideas please let me know, otherwise the site is pretty much useless for use with guitar pro.
The reason it worked for me is I have the bonus program, because I posted three approved tabs. It's actually hard to post tabs now though. You should see some of the old ones. One I remember was just notes written on the A string for one bar.

I don't have any more ideas, unless you have overseas friends that can download it and send it to you.
I am a keyboard player and I am only interested in the lyrics and chord changes. How do I get there?
Quote by Adamo09660
I am a keyboard player and I am only interested in the lyrics and chord changes. How do I get there?

Umm. What?
Quote by Adamo09660

Take 3 left turns. Spin 360 degrees, right click your mouse and you will be there.