Last thread of two.

Only other question I had for y'all is this: When you learned chords and strumming patterns, were you immediately able to sing while playing?

My brain can't seem to process this, like those people that can't pat their heads and rub their stomach at the same time.

My fingers always want to switch to whatever chord I'm about to SING instead of my fingers working on their own in the background...it's driving me crazy.

Any suggestions?
No, I can still barely sing and play really; nothing more than really simple chords and equally simple songs.

The problem is that both parts of what you're doing take way too much thought. You need to get at least one of the two parts to the point where you can do it without thinking about what you're doing at all. Generally this is going to be the guitar part but if you can do either from pure muscle memory so they take no mental processing time you're well on your way.

There's also the idea of really breaking down the parts so you can find places where the guitar and vocal coincide. The idea with this is that you can really focus on getting those moments right then the rest should kind of flow out nicely but I think this only really works if you know either part well enough that in between those moments you can just let your hands or your voice do their thing while you think about what's coming up.

Frankly, if you're really new to guitar I'd focus on getting that to a decent standard and getting to the point of not having to think about what you're doing too much before you try and bring singing in to it.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by J4y5()n
...[ ]....Only other question I had for y'all is this: When you learned chords and strumming patterns, were you immediately able to sing while playing?

My brain can't seem to process this, like those people that can't pat their heads and rub their stomach at the same time.
This brings up sort of a chicken and the egg conundrum question for me.

Could you sing first, and then decided to learn guitar to accompany yourself, or are you trying to learn both at the same time?

I'm a terrible singer but, I can read basic music, and play a melody pretty well on either guitar or piano.

I find it helps me a great deal to be able to place a vocal note inside the chord being played.

Although, I was a pretty fair rhythm player before I decided to torture myself by trying to sing in key.

Another thing is to establish your vocal range before you go further. This is something else learning to read and play melody will assist you with.

So, you can maximize you chance of success, by deciding what key you can sing the song in first, and changing the key, (if necessary), before you start. You can either do this by changing the chord shapes, using a capo, or both.

A fun album to experiment with is, The Rolling Stones, "Beggar's Banquet". Keith Richards was in a very interesting rhythmic place at the time, Mick Jagger really doesn't go too high with his vocals, and tunes like, "Sympathy for the Devil", give the rhythm part of your brain, (whatever that is), a good workout...
Last edited by Captaincranky at Oct 19, 2013,