i have a line 6 spider 4 and im looking to upgrade but im on a budget of 300. i play mostly metal and rock. i was looking into the roland cube 40xl. should i even upgrade? i like my line 6, but i wanna upgrade my pickups and i heard upgrading my pickups wont make a difference when im playing through my line 6.
are you in the USA?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
There is a Peavey ultra 1x12 combo on www.guitarcenter.com/usedgear for $199 you can not find a better hardrock/metal amp for the price. It also has a great clean channel. The peavey JSX, XXX, 3120 are all based off of the Ultra model.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
peavy vypyr 75? is that any good? it seems pretty damn good for the price.
Quote by erl4804
peavy vypyr 75? is that any good? it seems pretty damn good for the price.

The Ultra is way better, the only Vypyrs worth looking at are the Vypyr tube 60/120 and I would rather have the Ultra. Look up some youtube videos. I'm telling you the Ultra is the best amp you can get with your budget or even 2x your budget
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Yamaha THR10X
Someone is wrong on the internet. Only you can help.

Originally Posted by Tulkas
Stairway is required on any list of anything involving the words guitar or song, I believe Congress amended the constitution in order to put it into federal law.
Quote by Robbgnarly
There is a Peavey ultra 1x12 combo on www.guitarcenter.com/usedgear for $199 you can not find a better hardrock/metal amp for the price. It also has a great clean channel. The peavey JSX, XXX, 3120 are all based off of the Ultra model.

Holy shit that's an insane deal. Probably already snatched up by the time I post this.

TS, the Vypyr is a good amp. The Ultra is a permanent amp. You wouldn't ever have to upgrade from it if you don't want to, it's the real deal.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
The thing why you don't want to upgrade pickups right now is not because you can't hear a difference through your amp (because I bet you could but that's not the issue - I could hear a clear difference between two humbucker guitars through my RP355 and also through my Microcube - but they only sounded different, not necessarily any better or worse). It's because you shouldn't waste money on pickups when the real problem is your amp. Only upgrade pickups when your other gear is good enough. because you may notice that through a good amp your guitar sounds good and you may not need to change your pickups. Only through a good amp you can tell that. Because then if you still sound bad, you know that your guitar needs upgrading. But through a bad amp even a good guitar sounds bad.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Used suggestions:
The Crate V series (V15, V30, Palominos, etc) are wickedly underpriced. I love my V15. There's also the Champ 25 SE (2 6L6s, 25 watts, effects loop, reverb, master volume, headphone jack, etc.) The Champ goes for real cheap, like $130-200.

Also, MaggaraMarine is right. Go for the amp first. Get something that'll let you fully appreciate good pickups. If you keep your eyes and ears open, Craigslist can be your friend.

Remove V1 & V6. Put the 12AX7 from V1 into V6 and leave V1 empty. Try the vibrato channel.
Last edited by woad_yurt at Oct 20, 2013,
Quote by woad_yurt
Used suggestions:
The Crate V series (V15, V30, Palominos, etc) are wickedly underpriced. I love my V15. There's also the Champ 25 SE (2 6L6s, 25 watts, effects loop, reverb, master volume, headphone jack, etc.) The Champ goes for real cheap, like $130-200.

Also, MaggaraMarine is right. Go for the amp first. Get something that'll let you fully appreciate good pickups. If you keep your eyes and ears open, Craigslist can be your friend.

Not for what he wants, I would not look at any of those.

Those are classic rock amps, not metal amps at all
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I missed the metal mention.

Remove V1 & V6. Put the 12AX7 from V1 into V6 and leave V1 empty. Try the vibrato channel.
Quote by woad_yurt
I missed the metal mention.

Yeah, but no doubt the V series amps are awesome deals, just not for what TS wants
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
How about a Yamaha G100? It's solid state but it's very well built and works well with pretty much any pedal around. I had one way back and it was pretty impressive in combination with a decent pedal or two. They sell for only a couple of hundred bucks, too.

Paul Rivera designed the I & II series, btw.

Last edited by woad_yurt at Oct 20, 2013,
Quote by Robbgnarly
The Ultra is way better, the only Vypyrs worth looking at are the Vypyr tube 60/120 and I would rather have the Ultra. Look up some youtube videos. I'm telling you the Ultra is the best amp you can get with your budget or even 2x your budget

TS get this amp. It's still available. It's the perfect combo for you. Phone the Guitar Center where it's located and see if you can't get it sent to you.
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP