I've been playing for the past 5-7 years, stuff like DT, A7X, Megadeth, some Dragonforce, and I can't decide on which guitar to buy. There's just so many! I'm willing to spend around $1500. What should I buy?

EDIT: Something that sounds really good, studio-level good. And somewhat easy to play, not rigid like some guitars.
Last edited by shanu2 at Oct 20, 2013,
I would go with a Sterling JP100D you will even save some money, and it's a great guitar...
Go japanese.

Look at Fender Japan, Tokai, Greco, Burny and Fernandes. Focus on the higher-end products. You can even get pseudo "vintage" stuff that's about thirty years old and vintage correct to the specs of a 50 year-old Gibson or Fender classic guitar. And plays and sounds amazing.

I am currently loving my Tokai strat, which is a copy of a '56 Fender. But Tokai also make Gibson copies.
Most $1500 guitars sound good. I mean, I would be surprised if that expensive guitar didn't sound good. You just need to try some guitars and pick the one that feels and sounds the best to you.

What amp/other gear do you have? Do you want a whammy bar?

^ For music like that I wouldn't suggest Fender Strat (at least not with single coils) - I mean, it could do it but if that's the style you primarily play, you want something with humbuckers.

Maybe look at Ibanez Prestige.

And no guitar is easy or hard to play. That's all about preferences and good/bad set up. Some people like thin Ibanez necks and can't play on fat necks. And some people can't play on thin necks. It's all about preferences so you just need to try some guitars. I mean, if everybody liked similar guitars, there would only be one guitar model. Why would they even make different kind of guitars if one design was objectively the easiest to play?
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Oct 20, 2013,
Quote by INSULIN
fender strat -good for any type of music

Dude said that he plays Megadeth...
Strats are good for any music as long as it is 70's hendirx rock.
"I would happily pay you on Tuesday for a hamburger today"

-Poldo (the guy with both hands in his pockets!)
Used PRS CE24 $1000ish
Used PRS Standard 24 $1400ish
Used PRS CU24 $1400+
ESP Horizon
Used EBMM JP6
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Exterminatus
Dude said that he plays Megadeth...

ignorance
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Quote by shanu2
I've been playing for the past 5-7 years, stuff like DT, A7X, Megadeth, some Dragonforce, and I can't decide on which guitar to buy. There's just so many! I'm willing to spend around $1500. What should I buy?

EDIT: Something that sounds really good, studio-level good. And somewhat easy to play, not rigid like some guitars.

Carvin DC series. 24-fret, 25" scale, neck-through construction with great upper fret access, pointy superstrat, wide variety of pickup configurations, wood choices, fretboard radii, fretboard materials, fret sizes, finish choices. Outstanding fretwork, low action out of the box. I have several; my favorites include solid mahogany guitars with a maple cap and solid koa guitars. I order them with an H-S-H pickup configuration, with a Master volume, master tone, five-way pickup selector, a pair of miniswitch coil taps and a bridge pickup add-in miniswitch. Enormously versatile. Ebony fretboards standard, stainless frets available, bridge and trem choices, etc. http://www.carvinguitars.com/customshop/neckthrough.php

All that said, I've been geeking out over a new Line 6 Variax JTV 89F that I picked up a couple of months ago. 24-fret 25.5" scale, 16" radius, jumbo frets, Tyler pickups, five-way, master tone, master volume, Graphtech LB 163 Floyd with the Graphtech piezo saddles installed (probably a Schaller-built Floyd). Black or blood-red (what I've got) only. Dot inlays, rosewood fretboard, wide/thin neck feel, satin finished neck, glossy body. But wait, there's more. Those piezos feed the Variax hardware that gives you access to over 25 guitar (and other stringed instrument) models, including acoustics, 12-strings, LP, Tele, Strat, Ricks, etc. But wait, there's still more (operators are standing by!). Built-in alternate tunings allow you to change to about a dozen alternate tunings including a bunch of down and drop tunings all the way down to Drop Bb *without*changing the tension of any of the strings. Rotate the switch, play as if you're in the tuning that you've selected and what comes out of the amp is that tuning. But wait, there's STILL more. Don't like the tunings they picked? You can set up virtually any tuning for any string up or down about an octave (play bass, if you like, or mandolin). Want Open G to do Stones stuff? No problem. Learn Don't Stop Believin' in E but the singer can't hit Perry's high notes and needs D? No problem. Don't like the guitars they picked? No problem. Go into the free Workbench software and configure your own guitar and save it to one of the Custom user presets. Awesome, awesome piece, very fast playing. What would I wish for if I could have this guitar custom built? Stainless frets, ebony fretboard, neck-through construction (the Variax is a pretty decent bolt-neck), inlay options.

But here's the thing if you're recording...You have the sounds of single coil guitars like the P90 LP, Strat and Tele, but without any single coil noise at all. And for live work, it's unparalleled. If you have an HD500 or an HD Pro, you can use the Variax cable (essentially a beefed-up Ethernet cable) from the guitar to the Pod and you eliminate any impedance issues or cable noise completely, even with the onboard magnetic pickups. Better yet, you can store the guitar model, alternate tuning, amp, cab and effects settings in a single user preset on the Pod and change from one to another with a single stomp. Want a jazzbox or a sweet 12-string acoustic intro direct to an LP bridge pickup into a Marshall at full bore? No problem. This is fast becoming my favorite performance/recording guitar. Here in the US, GC has them for $1499 plus sales tax (here in LA, that's nearly 10% additional). I got mine for $1300 out the door without much effort. My guitar arrived, special order at my local GC (most don't stock this model) from the factory with nearly perfect action (low) and frets (none buzzing) and in tune.
Quote by Exterminatus

I know you're kidding, but there ARE idjits out there who firmly believe they can't play metal unless they have a black guitar or EMG pickups. It's like costume jewelry from Chrome Hearts, tats, greasy black hair and guyliner. They may not be able to play anything other than (barely) the bottom two strings, but by Hades, they'll look the part.

Cute.
Look for a used PRS Standard of some sort(not an SE or anything, a real PRS). They play amazingly and they are super diverse, you could use them to play anything from Metal to Jazz fusion, incredibly well.
You can get an awesome Ibanez 550 MIJ for around $300.
2009 Engl Powerball 100watt
1985 Marshall 1960a 4x12 with G12-65s
1989 Ibanez 540S LTD DY
2006 Epiphone G-400