My teacher said that in fingerstyle, the thumb is reponsible for all bass strings, and the index, middle finger and forefinger are responsible for G,B and e respectively.

Is it always good? For ex the song Miles Away by Years Around the Sun. [forbidden link]

Should i use both thumb and index for A and D, or just alternate by thumb between them? How do pro fingerstyle guitarists assign fingers to strings?
Quote by GuitarDaddyCool
My teacher said that in fingerstyle, the thumb is reponsible for all bass strings, and the index, middle finger and forefinger are responsible for G,B and e respectively.

Is it always good? For ex the song Miles Away by Years Around the Sun. [forbidden link]

Should i use both thumb and index for A and D, or just alternate by thumb between them? How do pro fingerstyle guitarists assign fingers to strings?

It's a very good guideline, obviously there's nothing at all wrong with being flexible about what you're doing.

I've got to be honest though, that song doesn't sound like it's fingerstyle to me; the attack on the strings is very crisp and the playing isn't particularly idiotmatic fingerstyle playing. Of course I could very well be wrong.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
It's a very good guideline, obviously there's nothing at all wrong with being flexible about what you're doing.

I've got to be honest though, that song doesn't sound like it's fingerstyle to me; the attack on the strings is very crisp and the playing isn't particularly idiotmatic fingerstyle playing. Of course I could very well be wrong.

So i can have a general guideline, yet deviate off it if it feels right?

And what is idiotmatic fingerstyle (IDIOTmatic... i hope im not being trolled here XD)?
Last edited by GuitarDaddyCool at Oct 20, 2013,
Quote by GuitarDaddyCool
So i can have a general guideline, yet deviate off it if it feels right?

And what is idiotmatic fingerstyle (IDIOTmatic... i hope im not being trolled here XD)?

Nope, that was a typo, should have said "idiomatic". Apparently I'm much more used to typing "idiot" than "idiom"

And yes.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I was taught the same way. I'd say it's best to learn the correct method and then deviate from there.

Some things in guitar may seem kind of strange or weird, but you have to remember there's a method to the madness.
I recall reading one of the Guitar Player interviews with Chet Atkins, and he was talking about his single-note technique.
He'd learned without much in the way of formal instruction, and he'd started playing such lines by alternating thumb and ring finger.
Later on, he encountered the "classical" method of T-I-M used continually... He admitted it was more efficient but by then he'd been using the thumb-finger so long he couldn't change.

In his case, hardly mattered, he could toss off such runs effortlessly. Still, he saw the advantages of the standard method.