I'm looking for something that can handle bands like:

Foo Fighters
Kings of Leon
The Killers
Pearl Jam

Those types of bands. Not my primary favourite bands but if I want to start gigging around here that's probably the stuff I'd be playing.
I don't want to spend anymore then 1200 before taxes.

I was thinking something like a Fender Strat HSS, I haven't played too many strats I'm not sure what I can get out of them. Judging from famous musicians who use them it should be just fine but I need UG's input before I make any decisions!

Thanks in advance guys
if I was gigging hard I would want a nice MIM Fender or a G & L Tribute series just in case something happened "off stage" I wouldn't be hurting, chipping , dinging my bad boy .... the Tribute G & L legacy HB is a SSH and are nice for the money if your wanting new for about half of your budget , maybe put the other half on a good amp
The bands you mention all tend to favour Gibson guitars (or very similar) and for the most part use humbuckers over single coils.

$1200? Look into something like a used SG.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
$1200 gets you into PRS CE22/24 territory
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Sorta depends on WHERE you're going to be gigging as well.

I have bar guitars (Agile LP clones with Floyds) that were B stocks or used and ran a couple of hundred each. I PLEK'd both of them, got them all buffed up. Nice guitars, but should something untoward happen, I wouldn't be worried about being able to replace them. Nice, SOLID body LPs, too (weigh a ton) so that should they be required for defensive purposes, they'll get the job done <G>.

If you're gonna gig, you want two of everything anyway. Nothing like having a piece of gear go down and then announcing to the crowd (and your bandmates) that you're going home now because you broke your only guitar/pedal/amp.

Used to be you could get used Carvin DCs from the late '80's cheap. Not so much anymore. Every one I have is now worth what it was new or more. Dang.
In the under $1200 range, there are a host of decent Strat style guitars: MiM Fenders, Carvin Bolts, Godin Sessions or Progressions, Fret King Super 60 HB or SP, Fernandes Retrorocket, G&L Legacy or S-500, Dean Zelinsky Private Label Tagliare. You could include the Reverend Six Gun as a quasi-Strat of good quality.

Other than that? LOTS of good stuff in that price range.

I'd consider a:

Fernandes Ravelle or Dragonfly.

Reverend Manta Ray, Reeves Gabrels sig II, Reverend Double Agent III.

Godin xTSA or Freeway SA

DBZ Royale or Imperial

Electra Omega
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
A used or new Gibson LP Studio would probably work, or some kind of semi-hollow guitar like a n Epiphone Sheraton II, or Ibanez AS73/93/103.

What amp do you have?
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
I just found this: http://reverb.com/item/19790-jon-kammerer-model-10-2hng-custom-boutique-guitar-usa-cherry-wood-parabolic-body-maple-neck

I own one of these, very nice: 24 fret, 2 HB w/coil splitting, semihollow ergonomic body.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

IDK, but neither do I care.

Oh yeah- as mentioned in that thread I started that got locked, Jon is having an inventory reduction sale. 30% off. I sent him an email, and I know among other things, he's got a couple of those cherry semihollows in stock that might actually be cheaper than that used one... Drop him a line if you're interested.

http://jonkammerercustoms.com/help-template_003.htm

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Oct 21, 2013,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
IDK, but neither do I care.

It's just such pretty wood that it seems a shame to hang that big nasty thing in there for no discernable good reason.

I shouldn't talk, of course; I've got an LP whose back looks like a checkerboard with various and sundry cover plates.

There's one for:

The pickup selector switch
The control cavity
The Floyd spring box
The moved master volume control
The Sustainer circuit board
The sustainer's battery box

The old TransPerformance Bridge installation (mid '90's) on an LP took up half the back bottom of the guitar, and there were control installations on the upper bout edge and on the face of the upper bout to work it.
My current Variax has a bigass coverplate for the controls and electronics of the Variax AND for the Floyd spring cavity. I think I can see some evidence of wood around the edges...
I have seen luthiers who carefully cut out that access portal and use that removed wood to make the plate, but those instruments generally cost more than a JKG. I like it, but I'm not sure I want to pay that much more for it.

I am puzzled, though, why no luthier I know of makes access plates near the edge of the guitar with a dovetail joint like you'd see on a wooden puzzle box. That way, you'd just slide the plate off, and it would be virtually invisible. No screws, either.

I've looked at the John Kammerer guitars, they look well made, but are ugly as hell. Like a BC Rich looks pretty next to one. That alone will keep me from ever buying one.

They kinda look like a Warwick thumb mixed with a 6 string, not very appealing
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Different strokes!

Quote by dannyalcatraz
I have seen luthiers who carefully cut out that access portal and use that removed wood to make the plate, but those instruments generally cost more than a JKG. I like it, but I'm not sure I want to pay that much more for it.

I am puzzled, though, why no luthier I know of makes access plates near the edge of the guitar with a dovetail joint like you'd see on a wooden puzzle box. That way, you'd just slide the plate off, and it would be virtually invisible. No screws, either.

Yeah, I have a couple of guitars that have wood cover plates, but they tend to be pretty expensive. Most guitars, though, don't have a cover plate in the middle of the back unless they have a trem.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Different strokes!

Or as a friend of mine puts it, "A matter of taste (or the lack of it)."