It is labeled an Overdrive, but it has a distortion knob. I'm confused, which is it?

Thanks
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Art & Lutherie Electric Cutaway
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Vox Original Wah-Wah Pedal V847-A
MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
The difference between OD and distortion is so blurred that you could reasonably refer to a lot of pedals as either one and be able to defend the decision. The presence of a distortion knob doesn't mean a pedal can't be an overdrive, not that the term means much in the first place.
Seems like the Plexi has a pretty bad rap on amazon. Anyone own one on UG and care to comment on its quality?
I like mine, cleans up nicely with the volume knob, and sounds pretty british.

The gain pot appears to be the wrong type however. From 9-3 o clock does barely anything. From 3-6 is where all the range is.

Good for it's price
RIP Gooze

cats
Ok. Cool. Hoping to go hear one tonight. Could snag one dirt cheap!
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Distortion is litterally a change of any sort in one signal at a certain point.

When talking about guitar effects, overdrives usually produce a bit of symmetric soft clipping (have a look on Wikipedia if you are curious), resulting in what is referred to as soft, smooth distortion.
Distortion pedals instead usually produce a lot of hard clipping, symmetric or asymmetric depending on the circuit (again, Wikipedia is a friend of yours), resulting in a harsher sound.

In the end, overdrives produce distortion as dostortions do, though the latter tend to produce more.

I don't have experience with the hot plexi in particular, though I'm very happy with my joyo pedal - very solid and good sounding.
Maybe you'll find more about that one in particular if you ask in the joyo pedals thread in this section.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Thanks! Will look into that!
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
if you ask me it sounds great if you have an amp that suits it (as i said in the joyo thread, it can be bright to a fault). it's a bit of a one-trick pony, though, if you ask me. it basically does the early van halen tone.

i'd say it's a high gain overdrive/low gain distortion. assuming it is a carl martin clone, i think it has the clippers in a feedback loop around the op-amp, so that would suggest it's an overdrive. But as colin rightly says, it's such a grey area that i probably wouldn't obsess over it, either.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?