for "recording" yea.

I recorded a 6 entire albums on a WEBCAM MIC into my computer, trying to mix and master those "recordings" is what gave me my start (and cause i didn't know any better). I forced me to write better songs to compensate for the god awful recording quality.

The zenith of this method of recording:

http://shorthandphonetics.bandcamp.com/album/cantata-no-6-assistants-of-assistants-in-varying-keys-op-25-for-three-electric-guitars-one-bass-guitar-one-drum-kit-one-tenor-and-additional-voices-where-appropriate

But now that I have a decent income, I bought an actual audio interface (sound card) and the difference is night and day. So definitely buy something like a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, or even a Scarlett Studio bundle if you can afford one.

But dont let gear be an excuse to not songwrite and record.

Just ****ing do it with whatever you got.
Hi! Are you a home studio recordist in need mixing and/or mastering?

Want a FREE mix consultation?

CONTACT ME!

Well it depends on how much money you want to spend and what you exactly want to record.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
thanks guys. i want to record some original metal tracks, just cheked with my buddy and hesays he has cheap interface so im going to buy a sm57 and we wil start recording our own stuff. also what software should i use for the drums ? also for recording audacity, sony vegas ?
I would recommend buying a dcent microphone, The samson G track USB microphone is the best bang for your buck. It not only freaking amazing sounding, it comes with a program. if you want to add some distortion to record your guitars, I would get FL studio 11. you can put VST's in and it sounds pretty good. I used a rocksmith cable for this recording and a few effects from FL studio.
Quote by ibzshredder
thanks guys. i want to record some original metal tracks, just cheked with my buddy and hesays he has cheap interface so im going to buy a sm57 and we wil start recording our own stuff. also what software should i use for the drums ? also for recording audacity, sony vegas ?

Again, read the stickies & you'd discover Reaper is the most common recommendation for a software based DAW. Audacity is generally considered a poor option.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by Ababil_Albarn
So definitely buy something like a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4

Ftfy. The 2i2 has no pad button.
Quote by ibzshredder

Ah, yes, in that case you're probably gonna wanna check out the interfaces sticky.
If you get an interface you will basically be able to record your unprocessed, unamplified guitar and then change its sound with some amplifier simulator inside your computer.

Unless, of course, you already have your perfect tone dialed in your perfect amp coming out from your perfect cab in your perfect sounding recording space.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by DustinMartel
I would recommend buying a dcent microphone, The samson G track USB microphone is the best bang for your buck. It not only freaking amazing sounding, it comes with a program. if you want to add some distortion to record your guitars, I would get FL studio 11. you can put VST's in and it sounds pretty good. I used a rocksmith cable for this recording and a few effects from FL studio.

As another FL user, "you can put VSTs in it and it sounds good" is a piss poor reason to recommend one DAW over another. That goes for any DAW (Audacity doesn't count). I'm going to recommend Reaper like everyone else. You don't need FL to record metal demos.
And USB mics? Get out.

To TS, don't use Audacity. It's useless for mixing. (click that)
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Ftfy. The 2i2 has no pad button.

yep pad button can be important for DI recording, 2i4 if you wanna swing that kind of money.

A pad button lowers the gain of the incoming signal usually -20 db so it doesnt clip as easily as electric guitars can come in HOT even at middle volume settings on the pickups.

That said, dont stop and let gear stop you, record now.

In terms of songs, a crap one will still be crap with all the gear in the world. An awesome one shines through and will be worth taking to the next level with future gear you can buy WHEN YOU CAN BUY IT.

CONTACT ME!

Quote by Cavalcade

And USB mics? Get out.

To TS, don't use Audacity. It's useless for mixing. (click that)

I concur with this, I got a USB mic as my first mic, that was a mistake. If you wanna start, get a decent audio interface, a real condenser mic, and some mid-gear headphones (Scarlett Studio bundle gives you all of that).

Alternatively, beg, borrow and steal bro (ok not steal lol). Find some one with gear you can borrow and see if recording your own tracks is for you.

CONTACT ME!

As for metal drums, pick up Steven Slate Custom, will cost you $30, it's the same quality as the more expensive stuff, there's just less of it, it's pretty much perfect for metal though. I don't really like the EzDrummer stuff so take that as you will, though I've heard Metal Machine and Metal Heads are pretty good expansions if you can afford them.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
when I record bird songs I generally use a Zoom Q3HD but when I record mine I plug into a Scarlett 2i4. I have had problems finding a jack on my acoustic guitar to plug into that with. most often I just record my farts on a phone, but then I get a little grossed out when I have to make a call on it right after...
:: Peavey JSX | XXX ::
:: LTD V | Viper | AX [EMG85] ::
:: Vader 2x12 | Krankenstein 4x12 ::
:: G50 | DecimatorG-String | 95Q ::
:: Polytune | Ditto | CarbonCopy ::
Just to play the devil's advocate here...

Do you want to learn to record?

Or do you want a recording?

If it's option A, then by all means, keep going from here.

If it's option B, then I strongly suggest checking out a project studio in your area. It will be both faster and cheaper in the long run.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.