Hi guys. Have a chance to pick up a block letter 5150 for $300 (maybe less). Catch is it isn't working right. He says the tubes are new but the amp is only giving out about 40 watts of power. According to a tech he took it to it is a "power problem" but I don't have much detail other than that.

EDIT: He tells me that when he plugged it into a power amp it fixed the issue.

EDIT2: So I've been doing some research, seems to be a VERY common 5150 problem, I've seen fixes from cleaning jacks, changing tubes, cleaning tube sockets, plugging a patch cable between the send and return of the effects loop and others.

I would try some of these on the amp but then if I showed him how to fix it I probably couldn't get it for the same price could I? Haha

So, with that vague vague description, what are some other possible problems that could be the issue with the amp? Would it be worth it to pick it up? I wouldn't mind having an additional amp around for backup or to play around with and I could always sell it for more if I got it working.

What do you guys think? Thanks!
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
Last edited by RCA1186 at Oct 20, 2013,
Another problem I noticed in the craigslist ad its missing the back plate that covers the preamp tubes and the grill that goes on back that covers the power tubes. I offered him $250, we'll see if he takes it.
+More

main thing that comes to mind is output transformer. Happens to kids around here all the time to their 6505's/5150's mainly the richer kids who get mom and dad to buy them their first tube amp for Christmas. They than have no idea how to use and constantly mismatch ohms and run without a load. i see it at shows all them time.
Quote by travs2448
is the puppy solid state or tube?

Quote by diceksox1809
solid state. when she screams it pisses me off

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6
Dimebag had s*** tone and that guitar plays like an abortion. Come at me, bro!

Quote by jpatan
It's because Garth Brooks brings the ****in' br00tz.
I've decided to pass on it since he didn't accept my offer. Probably better off since I bought a 93 LP Studio yesterday anyways haha.

It was missing too much for me to be worth fixing. I've heard there isn't much difference between the 6505 and the 5150 and I've also heard that they are night and day haha, I wanted to see for myself.
+More

So... he's dropped his price to $200 now....
+More