Hi guys. I'v had these tracks online for roughly a month on SoundCloud. This is my new solo project where I combine influences of blues, punk and rock n roll.

All tracks were recorded in my home using budget end gear. A Saffire 6 Interface, an AT2020 microphone, an Akai MPK mini and free amp simulators. The drums are Ableton Live 9 drum rack played with the Akai mini.

These are just demo's but an EP will be on the way soon.

I have arranged them in a playlist for you.

https://soundcloud.com/jakequincey/sets/original-demos

I like to know what you think of the songs and also of the quality as my music production skills are self taught and I'v had little to no feedback.

Thanks, Jake.
Thanks for the Crit!

"Rock N Roll" - A classic rockabilly with a mix of jazzy chords I guess . it sounds a bit uninspired, like it's a standard template or something. I understand that this is a demo so I won't complain on the mixing (the voice is a bit too loud in the mix)

"Riot Blues" - Again, similar style but this one is better than the first song. It does however, suffer from the same predictability as the first song. You should try to throw in some small licks/variations of the chords to spice it up.

"I got my girl on the line" - I'm sensing a pattern here . I don't know what your goals are with these songs? Is it more of a "having a fun time" type of thing? I think it would benefit from a more interesting vocal melody and some backup-vocals.

The punk remix is just some fuzz on the vocals?

Sorry for being so harsh on you dude, but I'm gonna give you some constructive feedback overall. Keep in mind that this is really not my style of music!

1. Don't be afraid to add some distortion to your guitar sound (for example in the chorus) as it will give the songs a more dynamic feel as opposed to the rather monotone feel that they have now.

2. Work on your vocals so that you can sing more interesting vocal melodies without being constricted by lack of training.

3. Utilize different variations of a chord and try to do small changes in the chord to add more subtle melodies in the songs.

4. I understand that these are demos, but for the EP try to balance the mix better.

5. Listen to your favorite bands, try to analyze what makes their songs great, and try applying it to your songs. I would suggest listening to Muse first album or the Pixies to get a better understanding of how dynamics can help your songs (even though these songs are very different from your sound).

Best of luck! looking forward to see what you can do with the songs!
Last edited by Zerath at Oct 21, 2013,
Quote by Zerath
Thanks for the Crit!

"Rock N Roll" - A classic rockabilly with a mix of jazzy chords I guess . it sounds a bit uninspired, like it's a standard template or something. I understand that this is a demo so I won't complain on the mixing (the voice is a bit too loud in the mix)

"Riot Blues" - Again, similar style but this one is better than the first song. It does however, suffer from the same predictability as the first song. You should try to throw in some small licks/variations of the chords to spice it up.

"I got my girl on the line" - I'm sensing a pattern here . I don't know what your goals are with these songs? Is it more of a "having a fun time" type of thing? I think it would benefit from a more interesting vocal melody and some backup-vocals.

The punk remix is just some fuzz on the vocals?

Sorry for being so harsh on you dude, but I'm gonna give you some constructive feedback overall. Keep in mind that this is really not my style of music!

1. Don't be afraid to add some distortion to your guitar sound (for example in the chorus) as it will give the songs a more dynamic feel as opposed to the rather monotone feel that they have now.

2. Work on your vocals so that you can sing more interesting vocal melodies without being constricted by lack of training.

3. Utilize different variations of a chord and try to do small changes in the chord to add more subtle melodies in the songs.

4. I understand that these are demos, but for the EP try to balance the mix better.

5. Listen to your favorite bands, try to analyze what makes their songs great, and try applying it to your songs. I would suggest listening to Muse first album or the Pixies to get a better understanding of how dynamics can help your songs (even though these songs are very different from your sound).

Best of luck! looking forward to see what you can do with the songs!

I really appreciate this feedback. Its honest, constructive and well written. Big thanks.

Rock n Roll (Is My Middle Name) was originally an improvised so. Me just having fun with an acoustic guitar with my laptop miced turned in. Its pretty basic but has done me well live.

Riot Blues needs some work to add some more interest to it. Its a pretty rough recording.

I Got My Girl On The Line was originally written as a bit of fun. I started playing it at open mics and people were loving it so I decided to record it.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll definitely take note.
Hey Dude, I'm going to crit as I listen to them.

Track 1: I really like the intro chords, very cool. The rhythm took my by surprise though; I expected something more mellow. I think the vocals need work, they dont quite fit in - seems like they're a bit off scale to me.

The lead fits in with the rhythm very well, it's got a CCR/Chuck Berry kind of feel to it. The track gets repetitive though, I think you need some variation thrown in - perhaps a rhythm change.

Track 2: Again, the intro is pretty cool. The vocals are better on this, they fit in well. Very tight playing overall, and some pretty cool / great chord work. Just a suggestion, you might want to bring the drums in a little sooner, the first verse sounds a little empty. Also, you might consider bringing in the solo a bar earlier, the third verse (?) - around 435 on your mix - sounds a little stretched.

Again, a very apt solo - it fits in perfectly. Overall, the track left something wanting, on the other hand, the track is really good - good enough that you want/expect more.

Very cool stuff man! There's some great playing you've got going on those tracks!
Quote by jpnyc
You are what they call a “rhythm guitarist”. While it's not as glamorous as playing lead you can still get laid. Especially if you can sing and play.

Beer is the solutions to the world's problems.

Quote by hitman_47
Hey Dude, I'm going to crit as I listen to them.

Track 1: I really like the intro chords, very cool. The rhythm took my by surprise though; I expected something more mellow. I think the vocals need work, they dont quite fit in - seems like they're a bit off scale to me.

The lead fits in with the rhythm very well, it's got a CCR/Chuck Berry kind of feel to it. The track gets repetitive though, I think you need some variation thrown in - perhaps a rhythm change.

Track 2: Again, the intro is pretty cool. The vocals are better on this, they fit in well. Very tight playing overall, and some pretty cool / great chord work. Just a suggestion, you might want to bring the drums in a little sooner, the first verse sounds a little empty. Also, you might consider bringing in the solo a bar earlier, the third verse (?) - around 435 on your mix - sounds a little stretched.

Again, a very apt solo - it fits in perfectly. Overall, the track left something wanting, on the other hand, the track is really good - good enough that you want/expect more.

Very cool stuff man! There's some great playing you've got going on those tracks!

Thanks.

Riot Blues is definitely the stronger track. As I said above, the first song was originally improved. I'v actually started experimented with mixing it up, but I'v ended up writing better songs which have taken over my time.

With Riot Blues I'm debating whether I might bring the vocals in straight away with no intro. Slightly different start to on that demo and it sounds good in my head.

Thanks for what you said about the solo's. I definitely aim to serve the song with solo's. I'm not into flash and wild stuff. They were improvised as well, so that makes your compliment mean even more to me. Thank you.

Do you have any tracks you'd like me to crit?
Hi man! Had a listen to the whole thing. You've got something going, but generally your songs need more dynamic, and something that separates them a bit more. They feel a bit templated. Also, the vocals sound out of place due to them being so loud in the mix, which makes your "wooh"'s flat, as there's no kick from the instrumentals.

However, you've definitely got the song writing in control, it just needs a good smash of polish. So, good job man, you've put in a great deal of effort into everything (although that remix wasn't much of a remix, was it?. Keep going man!

Hope you'll have a listen to our EP, or perhaps just the new song: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1620861
Rock 'n Roll - it sounds a bit too cliché for me and the lyrics don't help. I really like the way it's recorded though, it has a nice airy sound.
Riot Blues - again not revolutionary, but you're clearly going for this sound and I think you're doing it pretty well. This one is better than the first one. I would suggest maybe adding a second guitar that does little licks throughout the song. The solo is a bit too sloppy. I know these are demos but I think the sound quality is actually really good.

Overall again the sound quality is pretty nice, but the songs aren't very exciting in themselves. You do sound like you're having fun though. And thanks for your comment on my track (Stockholm)!
Hey man

So here we go.

Rock and Roll- So I don't think this is a bad song. It's kinda catchy and the production is actually very good. It's kinda predictable (which isn't always a bad thing.) However you may want to experiment with different chords they don't need to be drastically crazy. Maybe throw in a few 7's Overall I can say that it is well recorded, it's cohesive, and sounds exactly how you wanted it to. (I assume you wanted it to sound like rock and roll) That being said I don't think I'd personally listen to it over and over and over again. Not trying to be mean at all I just see it in a movie or a commercial or something.

Riot Blues- I like the little bit of gain you have on your guitar. On both songs the guitar tones have been great. You don't over do the distortion and I think that is very important! I think the to area's you need to work on the most are lyrics and vocal performance. You can hit the notes and hold a tune but it's lacking in dynamics, expression, and a little more melodic range would do wonders. It kinda just sounds like you're board. With the lyrics they just don't grab me. Once again, you're not bad at all. Just a couple area's to improve as we all do. I liked this song better and would probably listen to this again.

That's all I have time for I hope my feedback is helpful. Good luck and I'll look for new stuff you post!

c4c? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=32034423#post32034423

Regards, Kevin
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAHellraiser
Go into Guitar Center and tell them you are willing to spend $3000 on as many Spider and MG half stacks as they can give you.
Thanks for the feedback guys. I can see the Riot Blues is definitely the song most worth spending the time on. I will take all your feedback on board and sped some time with it.

Kevin, we share the same opinion on guitar tone and gain. I will listen to and critique your tracks later when I have more free time.

I'm thinking about taking some more singing lessons just so that I can become more versatile vocal. There have been times when I have failed to pull off what I hear in my head because I just cant get the power or pitch right. I'd like some higher notes in my range and a bit more grit.

In Riot Blues I was just naughty and didnt warm up at all.