We're creating an infographic called something like "n reasons why the guitar is the coolest instrument ever!" and I'd love your input. It could be anything - serious, whacky, funny, ridiculous - anything.

So, why do YOU think the guitar is the coolest instrument ever?

What do I think? It's the coolest because almost every major genre of music has a different guitar (or different guitars) for that type of music - example classical, folk, blues, country, rock, etc.

- Holden Hinkle
Encore Music Lessons
Quote by JustRooster
Because I started playing it.

/thread.

This, of course, would be the definitive answer and none more needed when it comes to guitar.

Your entire hypothesis (the guitar is the coolest instrument ever), however, would be faulty if JustRooster had, for some reason, decided NOT to start playing it.

Drums/percussion actually covers far more "genres" of music. Your definition of "genres" of music leaves out most of the majors and covers only those minor variations that have been guitar-centric pop over the last century. Remember that the guitar as we know it hasn't been around all that long. Other stringed instruments have been around, as well as reeds, brass, etc. long before guitars showed up. Keyboards have been used in far more classical and pop-type music than almost anything else.

Even today, as guitar declines in importance, keyboards remain. Today's most popular artists are single female singers and a few hip-hop artists, and in neither category are guitars central to their existence.

*Ahem* Sorry about that. I'll now go and take my meds and have my first cup of coffee for the morning. My knuckles will stop dragging if I stand up straight and I'll leave the club over in that corner, right...over...there.
Last edited by dspellman at Oct 21, 2013,
The guitar still accounts for more unit sales than any other instrument.

Portability + Flexibility are its keys to success.
Quote by dannyalcatraz

True enough. I'd suggest adding "cost" to those attributes as well. You can play professionally without apologies at any level with a $300 instrument. And if you're skilled enough, you can play bass, chords and melody all at once with a single instrument, just as you can with a piano, clavichord or organ.

I'm not sure what "unit sales" really tells us, however. Probably not a lot of correlation between the number of people who are actually attaining some level of musical prowess on them and the number of units sold. I have just over 50 guitars, and I know collectors who have 250 and more (I'm more of an "accumulator" than a collector). Not a lot of musicians on other instruments collect multiples the way that some guitar players do. The relatively low cost of guitars allows a lot of turnover. And a lot of guitars are just cheap junk.

It's tougher to do any of that with a piano or cello or a French Horn.
I'm not sure what "unit sales" really tells us, however.

Well, it is a mixed bag statistic, and thus, very muddy. Still, it does tell us that in the marketplace of pure sales, it outperforms other similarly priced, portable instruments. Standalone drums- IOW, those not part of a typical kit setup- are a distant speck in the guitar's metaphorical rear-view mirror.

Ditto keyboards & turntables.

And actually, keyboards are a good comparison: at their best, they're scaled down pianos with the full 88 keys, plus a panoply of built in effects, all in a package no bigger or expensive than an electric guitar. And most pros or gigging amateurs will own several. And STILL they don't sell like guitars.

Cheapness, though? I won't argue that. I'm astounded at how cheaply one can buy a new guitar.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz

+1

also relative cheapness as well. EDIT: ah beaten to it on the cheapness thing.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by dannyalcatraz

And actually, keyboards are a good comparison: at their best, they're scaled down pianos with the full 88 keys, plus a panoply of built in effects, all in a package no bigger or expensive than an electric guitar. And most pros or gigging amateurs will own several. And STILL they don't sell like guitars.

Well, I don't play keyboard.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Think of famous musicians that play other instruments. How cool do they look? Now think of some of the most famous guitarists. They are the very image of a "rockstar"

Nobody wants to grow up to be the next Kenny G.
It's very simple, it's because of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VUP4thpr3c

Kemper Profiler fed by:
Suhr Modern
PRS Modern Eagle Quatro
PRS Custom 22
Fender 62 Am. Vint. Strat
Duesenberg Starplayer TV
Parker DF622
Ibanez SV5470
Charvel San Dimas
PRS SE Custom SH
Ibanez FR-100
Yamaha RGX-A2
Squier Vint. Mod. Tele
Well, it's the sound and the looks. And it's also pretty easy instrument to start playing. Learning to play the basic chords and stuff can be learned in a couple of months and that's enough for most people - you can play your favorite songs pretty easily (if you just play chords and sing over it) and impress some girls.

But the sound of an electric guitar is rock. Without electric guitars there would be no rock music. And who wouldn't like the bitchin distorted guitar sound?

And why is it cooler than keys? Well, with keys you can't really move on the stage (unless you have a "keytar" which IMO looks ugly and makes you even more uncool). It just doesn't look as rock as guitar. And keyboardists usually have more of a "nerd" image.

IMO guitar is not the coolest instrument but it is true that if you are a guitarist, other people think you are cool.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Let's see: lethal sonic power, flamed maple tops, amplifier stacks to rival the pyramids, chicks, weed, Jimmy Page...the list is endless.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by pxoint
It's very simple, it's because of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VUP4thpr3c

ratt ftw
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Cello is the coolest. The didgeridoo is a close second though.
Join the 7 String Legion!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Messiaen is Magical

Official Approval
This message has been approved by:

Mister A.J.
Head of the Department of Redundancy Department
Mister A.J.
I like all kinds of instruments- pianos, pipe organs, xylophones, pan flute, saxophones, fue, steel drums, sakuhachi, Theremins, singing bowls, cello, French horn, crystal organs, ReacTables- but the guitar still ranks #1 for me.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Guitar is the coolest, it's not necessarily the best. But it is definitely the one that impresses everybody. It makes you look so much cooler. If you say you play the piano, everybody's like OK, nice. But if you say you play the guitar, everybody's like cool. You may not think it's the "coolest" but other people do. It makes you look cool.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
^ True, though that can go the other way too, as The Judist said- I've talked to people before, and when i mentioned I played guitar (it came up organically in the conversation, honest ) have got responses along the lines of, "Aw, not you too? Everyone plays guitar..."

Granted not everyone answers like that. Plenty of people think it's cool as well.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
I like all kinds of instruments- but the guitar still ranks #1 for me.

Agreed. Any instrument played well is awesome, really. I can listen to a good violinist, or a good saxophonist, or whatever, and love it. But for playing myself, I like the guitar best. I really liked drums, too, they were great fun.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Reason #6: it's symbolic of man-parts.

Quote by DeathByDestroyr
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjJrvQCsc7o

I don't know about cool, but singing bowls are definitely the chillest instrument.

I was listening this with my headphones and found it mesmerizing, almost sleep inducing. It wasnt until a couple of minute after I noticed (and heard the snoring) that there really was people sleeping there. Very cool indeed.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
There are some stone singing bowls that are designed to be played by rubbing a wetted finger or a textured stick along the lip, just like the technique for crystal glasses or the crystal organ. Very nice sound...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tgug6O_0Bz4

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Oct 25, 2013,
^Yeah they're all really cool. I want a brass one because they look cooler

Really, the original and perhaps most celebrated instrument is the human voice.