I recently decided to switch to a Gibson ES 335 as my one-and-only guitar. I almost pulled the trigger on one a while ago but I held off for various reasons. But my playing needs have changed and a 335 is a good fit for me right now.

I'm looking for some good tube amp recommendations from those of you who own / play a 335-style guitar. Price-wise I need to keep it at or under $1200 and I have no problems buying something used as long as I can find it locally to check it out first.

Sound-wise I really like the tones that Phil X gets in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Am5J_cid7w

I know he’s playing a true vintage 335 (and I think he uses two different vintage amps for clean and overdrive) but that gives you an idea what I’m going after. I prefer bluesy cleans rather than spanky or sparkly cleans. I really like the tone he gets at around 2:40 in that video. And I also love the complex ringing overdrive he gets when he’s banging out chords at about 4:15 in the video.

So, any recommendations?? I’m considering something like a Mesa Lonestar. Or should I look for something like a Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue instead and use it as a pedal platform? What would be the best way to get those tones with a 335-style guitar?

Thanks!
Current Gear:
2002 Gibson Les Paul Standard
'57 AVRI Fender Stratocaster
MIJ Fender Jaguar Special HH
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
Fender Tweed Deluxe or copy, preferably of the 5E3 circuit.

If you can't play blues with that and an ES-335, take up knitting...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Phil usually uses Evil Robots, so have a look at them too.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
by all means check out the mesa lonestar, but mesa isnt the first thing that comes to mind after hearing what you're after. i agree to definitely check out a 5e3/tweed style amp. The evil robot is probably gonna be out of your price range.
In a nod to Cathbard, look at 18w marshall clones as well, they are phenomenal blues amps.

I really think you should have an 18w clone AND a 5E3 clone!!
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
Fender Tweed Deluxe or copy, preferably of the 5E3 circuit.

If you can't play blues with that and an ES-335, take up knitting...

Yeah I love the warm bluesy tones of a Fender Tweed But I'm not sure if that's the flavor of overdrive I'm going for. To my ears they always sound more crunchy or fuzzy when pushed hard. I guess I'm looking for a good do-it-all kind of amp and I want something that's clear and articulate when overdriven (think "ringing" chords). I'd also like something that's capable of thick and creamy lead tones, either with the amp's gain or a boost pedal.
Current Gear:
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
Quote by Arby911
In a nod to Cathbard, look at 18w marshall clones as well, they are phenomenal blues amps.

I really think you should have an 18w clone AND a 5E3 clone!!

+123. Came here to say the same thing.
My Name is Cameron.
Quote by Cathbard
For me, bedroom levels is a cranked plexi half stack.

Now get off my ****ing lawn.

Quote by Spambot_2
Phil usually uses Evil Robots, so have a look at them too.

I've been listening to all the sound samples I can find on all the amp styles recommended. Unfortunately I think what my ears want is exactly what Spambot said - an Evil Robot clone of Phil's old Magnatone Tonemaster (which is exactly what he plays in this video).

Apparently my ears and my wallet are not on the same page...
Current Gear:
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
Quote by 57Goldtop
I've been listening to all the sound samples I can find on all the amp styles recommended. Unfortunately I think what my ears want is exactly what Spambot said - an Evil Robot clone of Phil's old Magnatone Tonemaster (which is exactly what he plays in this video).

Apparently my ears and my wallet are not on the same page...

While original Magnatones have gotten harder to find they aren't a particularly complex circuit. There are amp builders here that could probably build you one at or near your price range...
Charles Darwin