Hello all,

I recently went into a music store that was selling a MAZ 38 NR with 2 Cabs for £1500.00. While I don't have that kind of cash to simply spend on an amp, I was excited when a family member offered to buy it for me as long as i pay them back over 12 months which is very do-able. I've been in love with these amps for as long as i can remember and having seen Brad Paisley live, the tone from these things are phenomenal. Now all that being said, i'm seeking advice...

I play in an acoustic country band and i'm looking to introduce electric guitar to our music, we are leaning towards new genres and styles of music so i'd really like to put some Keith Urban/John Mayer type tones into my sound. I currently have a Vox VT120+.

I'm asking whether you think i should go with the Dr Z amp OR buy a cheaper valve amp and save some cash and perhaps getting a few decent guitar pedals.

My understanding is, it's a damn good price for a DR Z and therefor would be very keen to get it cheaper than usual. But equally, don't want to buy it when there might be cheaper but just as good options.

Ideally, i'd like my budget to be up to £1000. But as stated would lend money to buy the DR Z if you all feel it would be the best option.

Thanks!

(Currently using a Fender Strat/Tele for my electric guitars)
it's really up to you. I've never tried a dr z.

like most US-made stuff, it's comparatively expensive compared to similar-quality stuff made in the EU. However, if only it'll do the exact tone you want, it probably doesn't make much sense not to buy it for that reason, either.

I realise that's no help.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I would not take a MAZ38 over the Vox AC30s. The AC30C2 is a very good amp for about half of what you'd pay for the MAZ, and the AC30HW series are even better and still cheaper than the MAZ. I like both of the Vox offerings better than the Dr.Z amps, even ignoring the prices.

That's my personal opinion, but if you haven't tried the Vox offerings in that vein you probably should before spending money you don't have on the Dr. Z. The master volume on the Voxes is undeniably better at low settings than the Z, and you get tremolo and reverb on the C2 which you'd probably use often for those styles.
Thank you both for your constructive feedback. I will definitely bring my electric to the local store and try out the Vox options available to me. I've always been a fan of both brands and i guess it's trial and error of both amps to see what i prefer. If anyone else has further suggestions. they'd be appreciated!

Thanks again guys for your input so far!
if you are committed to this type of music, DO IT. did you plug in and play it?

DR Z are top of hte line quality, and probably the most transparent, touch sesitive, responsive amps., ive ever played. i pretty much sounded bad playing through it because it is so clear and trsndsparent, ever nuance and dynamic is picked up. your guitar, your playing, everything will come through.

also, i found that for their rated wattage they are CRAZY loud. i plugged into an 18 watt (forget what model) and it just about blasted me off the chair i didnt realize how loud i had it turned up for just a little 18 watter.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Thank you all once again for the great feedback, while i love country music, i do like to branch out into Blues and some Jazz as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6DlV8WPs0w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14m8nW7Y3OE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhOI0EMmWRA

these are some of the not so traditional country tones i'm looking to achieve from my amp. Giving that i'm going to have limited effects pedals to start off with... it's essentially the MAZ 38 vs something else. If i get something cheaper, i could spend a little extra on pedals but the more expensive i go, the less pedals i can get, that being said i really would like to get an amp that will last me for a long time, something reliable. I love Vox Amps and Fender Amps but have always had something for DR Z. So being an acoustic guitarist i think i'm just looking to branch into the electric world and understand what i'm looking for, starting with some recomendations!

Thanks!
Dr. Z's are all incredible amps. A good buddy of mine who I've been jamming with lately currently has four of them, and every single one is awesome (Carmen Ghia combo, Antidote, Remedy, and an SRZ-65 which is probably my personal favorite).

I've played through a MAZ before, and I really enjoyed it. I want to say it was the 18 watter, but it very well could have been the 38.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
I'd say go with the Dr. Z man, you can't really go wrong with them as they are outstanding amps. Get some drive pedals like the Wampler Paisley and a nice reverb and delay and you should be set.
Quote by Roc8995
I would not take a MAZ38 over the Vox AC30s. The AC30C2 is a very good amp for about half of what you'd pay for the MAZ, and the AC30HW series are even better and still cheaper than the MAZ. I like both of the Vox offerings better than the Dr.Z amps, even ignoring the prices.

That's my personal opinion, but if you haven't tried the Vox offerings in that vein you probably should before spending money you don't have on the Dr. Z. The master volume on the Voxes is undeniably better at low settings than the Z, and you get tremolo and reverb on the C2 which you'd probably use often for those styles.

I've not tried any Voxes actually, so I'd listen to Colin here & at least try them before committing a ton of cash. I've played several Dr Zs side by side with Divided by 13s & 65s, & wound up buying a 65 Soho, because it articulated the best of all of them IMO. The Zs just barely couldn't quite keep up with the 65s across the board, but they are considerably more affordable than 65s also (the /13s are WAY overrated IMO-I don't care how many studios & pros use them-65s & Zs destroy them). If I didn't have the extra cash laying around, I would've bought the Z (I also love the look of the 65s). Zs are awesome amps IMO.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Last edited by riffhog at Oct 22, 2013,