I've been playing for 4-5 years, I'm have modest skill, I play rock, metal, and country. All pretty good, people say I'm pretty good for being self taught.

So, in short, i wont be winning any awards, but I'm pretty good, But average.

Anyway, I taught myself how to hold the neck wrong.

For certain songs, my hand gets REALLY tired, and my thumb placement is wrong. I think.
Some more complex Chord fingering's are also quite hard/impossible for me, due to my, ignorance to learn the correct form.

Long parts, complex chord parts, involving stretching, and thumb placement, pressing to hard with my hand, etc. It's hard to explain. But i know i learned wrong, My hand shouldn't get tired, it feel like it's pressing to hard.

But it's all a habit now.

Any tips to get out of this?

PLUS, the correct methods please?

I do play metal/sceamo

all the way down to soft, beautiful acoustic songs.

And it affects both styles on certain songs.

thanks for any help!

-Joey
In a situation like this where you've developed a bad technical habit, the best thing would be to get a lesson or two from a good teacher, or otherwise a good guitarist you know so he can see how you plays and correct the bad technique. I don't think general online advice will help much here, at least not without posting a video.
If at all possible, could you take a picture of how you hold the neck? I'm curious as to HOW someone holds the neck the wrong way. Do you hold it this same way all of the time or does your hand naturally shift around to compensate/assist with what you're playing? Or is it the same rock solid position ALL THE TIME?
Actually, you can have hand fatigue especially as you progress and start to tackle more complex chords structures and large steps up and down the fretboard. IMO, this can be common place for most people as they learn. That is not to say your technique may not need some work, but keep in mind you are learning to use muscles in new ways constantly when learning the guitar, and there will be some soreness along the way.
Eh, personally, I don't think there is such a thing as a 'wrong way' As long as you can play whatever you're trying to play you're doing it right, but if it makes it hard for you to play then I would just experiment until I found a way that makes it easier.
Quote by ZOSO <(
Eh, personally, I don't think there is such a thing as a 'wrong way' As long as you can play whatever you're trying to play you're doing it right, but if it makes it hard for you to play then I would just experiment until I found a way that makes it easier.

Sure there is. There's proper technique and then there's incorrect technique. While you may be able to play it, the technique can still be wrong.
i can post a video when i can.

But it's mostly my thumb, and stretching for blues chords/barre chords/etc