Hi there. I have always been a creative mind, but often trough abstract art like instrumental music. I write alot of lyrics to my band, but they never mean anything, and is just for me to have some words on the melodies i sing. Sure they have a "meaning", but they never turn out good, and never mean anything. I have seen lessons on this, but everything is pop related everyday life lovesong stuff. My music is more experimental rock. Thats why im asking here. Is there anyone who can reccomend me some techniuqes or good lyrics to get inspiration from?
A lot of people write because some bad things happen to them, or you could write a story out of that song. Go somewhere and do something you havent done before and find inspiration, become political and "rage against the machine" I think these ideas will help
A good idea is obviously life-related stuff. It doesn't have to be a love song, but you can go on about stuff like backstabbing friends, a day in wonderland, or a cookie you once ate. You can also write conceptual songs, like a superior deity who befriends an inferior human, and shit happens. Just an idea, but the possibilities are endless.
Last edited by Lifesign at Oct 21, 2013,
I really like Chino Moreno's (Deftones) writting style during the 2000's, he was probably high on coke or drunk in those days but the ideas he came up with were weird but cool.

A good example would be Digital Bath, dark and creepy song if you pay attention to the lyrics. Basically that song talks about killing a woman by throwing some kind of electric appliance inside the tub where she is taking a bath... coolest thing is that he didn't use any of the words I used to describe the same concept/idea. (Or Feiticeira where he talks about being kidnapped)

Something I learned from reading Chino's lyrics (Deftones' White Pony and Selftitled album) is that he tends to describe situations or scenarios more than feelings. Which is something I do now when I write lyrics...

Let's say... I'm on a plane that cracked open in mid air and its about to crash on the ocean, By trying to describe that scenario I came up with this words...

Bodies floating on the air
cracking sounds above my head.
wind blowing on my face
screaming voices near their end

I wrote those lines out of the top of my head so it probably sounds silly hahaha :P but you get the idea arent you?

Hope you found something useful on this post.

Good luck... and keep writting.
Quote by teknoman
I really like Chino Moreno's (Deftones) writting style during the 2000's, he was probably high on coke or drunk in those days but the ideas he came up with were weird but cool.

A good example would be Digital Bath, dark and creepy song if you pay attention to the lyrics. Basically that song talks about killing a woman by throwing some kind of electric appliance inside the tub where she is taking a bath... coolest thing is that he didn't use any of the words I used to describe the same concept/idea. (Or Feiticeira where he talks about being kidnapped)

Something I learned from reading Chino's lyrics (Deftones' White Pony and Selftitled album) is that he tends to describe situations or scenarios more than feelings. Which is something I do now when I write lyrics...

Let's say... I'm on a plane that cracked open in mid air and its about to crash on the ocean, By trying to describe that scenario I came up with this words...

Bodies floating on the air
cracking sounds above my head.
wind blowing on my face
screaming voices near their end

I wrote those lines out of the top of my head so it probably sounds silly hahaha :P but you get the idea arent you?

Hope you found something useful on this post.

Good luck... and keep writting.

That was a great advice! Ty. I shuld probably listen more to the deftones. Reminds me kind of steven wilsons writing.