Page 1 of 12

Attendees were all asked to wear “African themed” clothing to depict the continent and this is what resulted… blackface, elephant and gorilla costumes, warpaint, native American headdresses (?!) and more…. I’m at a loss for words.
And yes, this is from 2013.
The girl posted the pictures proudly and flatly refused to take them down when confronted by another individual about how they were racist apparently. Pictures were reported to facebook weeks ago and they still have not been taken down

This happened in Australia only a month ago. What're your thoughts on the matter?
Well, considering the only Western portrayals of Africa involve white protagonists and safaris and Eddy Murphy, I'm not surprised. Still appalled though. Africa isn't Disneyland or something.
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

This is a good example of how few people actually have black friends. Not just like, a coworker or classmate as a friendly acquaintance, or an occasional double date partner or something, but a well-established friend.
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

this is pretty funny. i wonder what they were thinking throughout the whole thing though.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by vintage x metal
This is a good example of how few people actually have black friends. Not just like, a coworker or classmate as a friendly acquaintance, or an occasional double date partner or something, but a well-established friend.

The only black people in Australia are Somalian refugees and Nigerians studying for their masters or sth
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
I would have dressed up as famine... Genocide was a close second. Don't really see what is racist here... there are a lot of black people in Africa... so people dressed up as that... Also there are still tribes and warlords, there are shit loads of Gorillas and Elephants in Africa too. Could have done without the KKK member (goes without saying) but that was the only problem I saw.
Uncle aciD

&

The deadbeatS

Do What Your Love Tells You
Slightly relevant.

Black Ruud Van Nistelrooy.
The Dutch hit-man, who retired from the game in May last year, dressed up as ‘Belshazzar, King of Babylon’, to take part in the ‘Parade of the Three Kings’ in Marbella where, alongside two other ‘Kings’, he handed out presents and sweets to staff and patients.

Just perfect.
The only thing wrong with this is that all their costumes are just shit and look like they took no effort.
Quote by Cianyx
The only black people in Australia are Somalian refugees and Nigerians studying for their masters or sth

Yeah that tends to happen post-colonization

Quote by Relativiti
the white guilt in this thread is astounding.

Who are you calling white?
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by SFosterS
I would have dressed up as famine... Genocide was a close second. Don't really see what is racist here... there are a lot of black people in Africa... so people dressed up as that... Also there are still tribes and warlords, there are shit loads of Gorillas and Elephants in Africa too. Could have done without the KKK member (goes without saying) but that was the only problem I saw.

They're not dressed up as Black People. They are dressed up as Africans. There is a big difference. This is Africa

Cairo

Johannesburg

Cape Town

Show me the people in loincloths. Show me the gorillas.

If the intention was just to dress up as 'Black People' it would still be affronting as a black person. Can you imagine a white person hearing about a White Person party by a ton of people of any color other than white? Can you imagine that person finding it welcoming?
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by vintage x metal

There, a gorilla:

it has a stick too
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Quote by vintage x metal
They're not dressed up as Black People. They are dressed up as Africans. There is a big difference. This is Africa

Cairo

Johannesburg

Cape Town

If the intention was just to dress up as 'Black People' it would still be affronting as a black person. Can you imagine a white person hearing about a White Person party by a ton of people of any color other than white? Can you imagine that person finding it welcoming?

So you pick two South African cities (which white men literally built) and a north-Saharan city that is on the Mediterranean, which has been in contact with Europeans for thousands of years.
Quote by Relativiti
So you pick two South African cities (which white men literally built) and a north-Saharan city that is on the Mediterranean, which has been in contact with Europeans for thousands of years.

Yes. They're as African as any other part of Africa. In fact they account for a huge percentage of the population. It would be much more appropriate to stereotype African life off of any of these cities than off of gorillas and loincloths.
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Still, depicting Africa as a bunch of tribesmen is pretty ignorant and moronic.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Quote by Relativiti
the white guilt in this thread is astounding.

Yes, because some White people (note: not everyone on the internet is White, which bears fucking repeating here) getting annoyed over other White people doing Blackface can clearly only be...White guilt.
Quote by Relativiti

Of course people are going to dress up as black tribespeople to an African themed event. It's how Africa is represented in the media and the first thing people think of is the wildlife and tribespeople. Would have been a dour party if everyone dressed up as white business men.
Quote by Kozlic
Music doesnt need to be quality to be good.

Press eject, give me the tape, if you know what's good for you
Quote by Weaponized
white people are just the worst huh

White people are white. White people in black face are just the worst.

edit:

Quote by Forkman
Would have been a dour party if everyone dressed up as white business men.

That's a really shitty reason to have a degrading costume. Even just omitting the black face on a lot of those costumes would be okay. It's the difference between a acknowledgement and a trivialization.
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Last edited by vintage x metal at Oct 21, 2013,
If there was an american themed party in africa and everyone wore fat suits and used white powder would you rage? No.
Quote by Wormholes
If there was an american themed party in africa and everyone wore fat suits and used white powder would you rage? No.

That's because there's no one raped and pillaged America other than the ancestors of people who now call themselves American. They'd probably be pretty pissed if the Taliban had an America party and then did that.

Anyway, it would be at least be an accurate representation.
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by Wormholes

That would be a pretty accurate depiction of the US, no reason to rage there m8.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
Quote by vintage x metal
Yeah that tends to happen post-colonization

Who are you calling white?

I don't think it applied to every single user
Quote by DonGlover

You look like a young Eugene Levy, but with a moustache.

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought
Kicking a man when he's down, I'm proud of you

When they're down is the safest time.

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Sharks Stanley Cup 16-17,,,,?
tbf, leaving out the blackface which is pretty damn racist, when you see people wearing costumes from other countries and cultures it's usually old stuff. Like America would be like Pilgrims, or revolutionary war timey stuff. Asian places would be old martial arts stuff, and just general old Asian dress with the heavy makeup and whatnot. Egyptian would obviously be Cleopatra type stuff. England/Italy/GeneralEurope would be old Renaissance or Medieval style outfits.

I think yelling about it because Africa now has some Metropolitan cities is kinda weird, when the blackface stuff is the main problem.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by WCPhils
tbf, leaving out the blackface which is pretty damn racist, when you see people wearing costumes from other countries and cultures it's usually old stuff. Like America would be like Pilgrims, or revolutionary war timey stuff. Asian places would be old martial arts stuff, and just general old Asian dress with the heavy makeup and whatnot. Egyptian would obviously be Cleopatra type stuff. England/Italy/GeneralEurope would be old Renaissance or Medieval style outfits.

I think yelling about it because Africa now has some Metropolitan cities is kinda weird, when the blackface stuff is the main problem.

I mentioned earlier that most of the costumes would be fine without the blackface. The metropolitan areas were to show the gross misappropriation of African culture in the media - even old-timey Africa is not necessarily loincloths and gorillas. Ancient Egyptian-style clothing makes the most sense but it's atypical for the media to attribute Egyptian history with African history.
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

I went to Africa once. The bread was ace. I'd go to an Africa party as that there bread.
The DNA results show that Jeremy Kyle is a nob.

Quote by titsmcgee852
I want to look at your sexual naked body.
Pretty sure Dave Chappelle has powdered his face white many times on his sketches for the Chappelle's show.
Quote by Overlord
It's not hard to be nice, but it's nice to be hard
Actually the "White People" party would be hilarious
My God, it's full of stars!
I wouldn't give a shit if someone threw a ''Hispanic themed party". everybody would just show up in sombreros with long moustaches and eat tacos and shit cause for white pople Hispanic = Mexican.

then again I already had an argument here about how people are too sensitive and blah blah whatever id have fun at a Hispanic themed party even though it'd be "insensitive" to my peeps or whatevs
pinga