Hi, I am not new to the forum but I believe this is my first post. l came across this Ibanez guitar on the local classifieds and I can not figure out what it is. it looks similar to my GAX70 (made in Indonesia) which for what it is I actuary like. this one though, has the toggle switch then only 2 knobs, then the jack all in-line, and in the body route. (jack is not in the side of the guitar). any help would be much appreciated. any personal experience even more so. thanks again guys.

I really hope these pics/links work

It is an Ibanez GAX Series; probably a lower version than the GAX-70. It may have been one of those "package deals" where you got a guitar, small amp and some other doo-dads.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Last edited by FatalGear41 at Oct 21, 2013,
Quote by FatalGear41
It is an Ibanez GAX Series; probably a lower version than the GAX-70. It may have been one of those "package deals" where you got a guitar, small amp and some other doo-dads.

I think you're absolutely right, he is actually selling it with a small amp so that makes perfect sense. Thanks so much for the quick reply!

The GAX 70 Is pretty low end, I wouldn't want to try my luck on anything cheaper. For what the GAX 70 is though, I love mine. (Made In Indonesia 2001.) It desperately needs pickups but it plays like butter! (And tbh the pickups aren't THAT bad.)

Here is mine, I'm actually sitting here waiting to pull the trigger but trying to decide between a 81/85 set or some vintage style gibson humbuckers.
Nice to see some love for a GAX 70. I picked one up off Craigslist for $50 as a spare for the office. It's actually a pretty decent guitar, especially for that price. True, the pickups aren't great, but overall, I've developed a real affection for mine. It's probably the easiest playing guitar I have in the collection (low string tension, thin neck). If someone said that they wanted to try to learn to play guitar, this is the one I would suggest that they try first to see how it feels.
Quote by jds2
Nice to see some love for a GAX 70. I picked one up off Craigslist for $50 as a spare for the office. It's actually a pretty decent guitar, especially for that price. True, the pickups aren't great, but overall, I've developed a real affection for mine. It's probably the easiest playing guitar I have in the collection (low string tension, thin neck). If someone said that they wanted to try to learn to play guitar, this is the one I would suggest that they try first to see how it feels.

Yes! I couldn't have said it better myself. I absolutely love the low string tension. Bendin strings like Slash lol. And the extra jumbo frets are awesome.

There should be an official GAX70/75 thread! I'm thinking mine will absolutely shred with new electronics. And correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure they're agathis? I know they're not basswood...
Sounds like we're playing from the same book, here! If you put in new pickups, let me know how it turns out. I've been toying with the idea of changing mine out, maybe for a set of GFS '59 PAF clones. In terms of the wood, I can't actually say what the body of mine is made from since it's black and actually looks a lot like the original picture at the top of this thread (although with the four knobs and the jack along the side of the body).

I did have to make one mod to mine, though. When I got it, it had a terrible case of neck dive. The top strap button just isn't high enough to balance the weight (could also be due to light wood used for the body). I double-bagged some lead shot in Ziploc bags and put them inside the electronic compartment. Since this is close to the bottom of the guitar, the added weight was enough to bring it into balance so it stays in place when strapped on. It's now a little heavier than your average GAX 70, but still a bunch lighter than my LP!
Quote by jds2
Sounds like we're playing from the same book, here! If you put in new pickups, let me know how it turns out. I've been toying with the idea of changing mine out, maybe for a set of GFS '59 PAF clones. In terms of the wood, I can't actually say what the body of mine is made from since it's black and actually looks a lot like the original picture at the top of this thread (although with the four knobs and the jack along the side of the body).

I did have to make one mod to mine, though. When I got it, it had a terrible case of neck dive. The top strap button just isn't high enough to balance the weight (could also be due to light wood used for the body). I double-bagged some lead shot in Ziploc bags and put them inside the electronic compartment. Since this is close to the bottom of the guitar, the added weight was enough to bring it into balance so it stays in place when strapped on. It's now a little heavier than your average GAX 70, but still a bunch lighter than my LP!

The black on these looks awesome. I'm about 90% sure I read in a forum somewhere that they are agathis, I'll have to look again.
For pickups I was thinking the same, something similar to a Gibson 59, that or an EMG set. And about the neck dive, my GAX70 that I have was actually one of my best friends guitars, we grew up learning how to play together and I had a Squier Strat, he had the orange Gio. I remember playing it and always liking it, that's why I bought it, it was about a month ago?
Never really remember standing up with it. I read your comment and threw a strap on it today and omg. It neck dives BAD.

I've though before of trying the Babicz Tune O Matic, but now I think it might just be the hot setup for adding weight to the rear of the guitar. I've secretly been looking for an excuse for a long time to try one of his bridges.
Quote by Mulisha620
I've though before of trying the Babicz Tune O Matic, but now I think it might just be the hot setup for adding weight to the rear of the guitar. I've secretly been looking for an excuse for a long time to try one of his bridges.

Interesting. That's the first I've heard of these. I assume that they're supposed to be better than a stock TOM. I'd be very interested to hear how this changes the sound. I would think that a pickup swap would do more to change the sound, but the bridge must also have an effect.

In terms of the neck dive, the replacement bridge would have to be quite a bit heavier than the stock bridge to fix the problem. I pretty much had to completely fill the electronics cavity with bagged lead shot to fix my problem. I actually got the idea from a YouTube video where a guy added one of those cloth-covered lead weights that women wear on their wrists during "mall walking" to the bottom of his strap. It worked fine, but it looked a bit goofy.
Quote by jds2
Interesting. That's the first I've heard of these. I assume that they're supposed to be better than a stock TOM. I'd be very interested to hear how this changes the sound. I would think that a pickup swap would do more to change the sound, but the bridge must also have an effect.

In terms of the neck dive, the replacement bridge would have to be quite a bit heavier than the stock bridge to fix the problem. I pretty much had to completely fill the electronics cavity with bagged lead shot to fix my problem. I actually got the idea from a YouTube video where a guy added one of those cloth-covered lead weights that women wear on their wrists during "mall walking" to the bottom of his strap. It worked fine, but it looked a bit goofy.

The Babicz, their main selling point is that they eliminate any air space between the components of the bridge and the body of the guitar. A lot more mass. (And supposedly therefore, sustain). Would be interesting to see how much it would help. Even if not much a black one would look ridiculously cool in the process.