Page 1 of 3
Disclaimer: Keeps scrolling, there's more!

Well... I did it. I've finally returned to the dark side:

As much as I enjoyed the Orange Thunderverb 50 I recently got in a trade, I was hoping for more versatility. While the distortion rocked on that amp, I don't really have anything that can do clean or mid-gain, and the Orange didn't really excel there more than my 5150, so I figured I'd sell it and just keep the cash...

Much to my surprise, I was offered a Mesa Roadster in trade, and since I've always been a big fan of the Rectifier series, I figured... why not? It's supposed to be the same thing as the Road King II, just without all the options I don't need anyway. As one of the resident Mesa-gurus around here, this is one of the few amps they've made I've yet to own, so I figured it was worth a shot, at least...

I've got to say - This thing BLOWS AWAY the Road King I I had years back. While I'm sure the high gain channels are fairly comparable, the cleans and lower to mid gain on this thing kill. Needless to say, I'm very much enjoying this one right now. Doesn't quite have the grind I love in the 2 channel Rectos, but it's nowhere near as flubby and muddy as the 3 channel Rectos (I still haven't tried a post-2010, though). Definitely usable, and with a boost, I'm sure it'd get close.

Overall, super excited about this amp and definitely more than happy with my trade!

Was hoping to get some clips up, but I upgraded my computer to Windows 8.1 yesterday and now none of my Waves plugins seem to want to authorize, and I refuse to do a mix without my trusty Waves CLA-76, that I put on practically everything

P.S. Sorry for the crappy pictures, but I thought I could do without attaching my camera's flash... I was wrong
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Sweet amp! I've been GASing for something like that for a while now.

What cab is that sitting on anyways? It looks nice.

HNAD!
Quote by Ippon
Sweet! I agree, the Roadster is much simpler than the Road King II.

Congrats!

Yeah, really the only feature it has I could see myself using is Progressive Linkage, but I never really found that too be all that exciting in my RKI, so

Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Sweet amp! I've been GASing for something like that for a while now.

What cab is that sitting on anyways? It looks nice.

HNAD!

Emperor 4x12 loaded with V30s and GK100s in an X-Pattern
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Ippon
I prefer the Rectos to the Marks. Have you tried it with EVM-12Ls? Even through a 212, it's huge.

Nope.

Only EVM-12L I've ever tried was in my Duncan Convertible combo

Agree on the Mark vs. Recto thing. The Marks are cool, but their sound really isn't that unique. Nothing can do the Recto sound, for cheaper than a Recto (unless you count a Bugera ).
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
When I read the thread title, I said 'not again' out loud, leading to some weird looks from my brother
HNGD! And no need to worry about the pics; they're far better than many NADs.
Quote by kangaxxter
Tone is in the fingers.

What you really need is a new amp.

(Anything I missed?)

Quote by Robbgnarly
I have been hearing about MG amps lately. I have heard good about them, but only a few times have they been talked about here.

Quote by MatrixClaw
Nope.

Only EVM-12L I've ever tried was in my Duncan Convertible combo

Agree on the Mark vs. Recto thing. The Marks are cool, but their sound really isn't that unique. Nothing can do the Recto sound, for cheaper than a Recto (unless you count a Bugera ).

For great rhythm sounds, I love the single recto (series 1) I picked up, but my Mark IV's lead sound is killer, but it only really has one good lead sound, IMO.

Rectifier rhythm sounds are ridiculously huge sounding. I use mine with a Whitebox (Jet City) 1x12 and G12K100, and good lord the low end is ridiculous! Looking around for a mesa wide body cab now though.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Quote by randomguy2000
When I read the thread title, I said 'not again' out loud, leading to some weird looks from my brother
HNGD! And no need to worry about the pics; they're far better than many NADs.

Yeah, they looked alright on my camera's display, but for some reason were super dark when I imported them to my computer. Had to bump up the exposure quite a bit, and that caused the graininess to come through. You can't really tell on these pictures, as they've been downsized, so the imperfections aren't as obvious - But if you look closely, you can see the focus is off, too.

I need to get a smaller flash for my camera, cause putting the big flash I have now on it is such a pain, and since Canon for some reason doesn't feel like adding a pop-up flash to their professional cameras is of any advantage, I'm SOL in low light without it, unless I want to bump ISO up a lot (which my camera handles very well... but like I said - The photos looked fine in the camera's preview mode.....). Oh wellz

Quote by Reincaster
For great rhythm sounds, I love the single recto (series 1) I picked up, but my Mark IV's lead sound is killer, but it only really has one good lead sound, IMO.

Rectifier rhythm sounds are ridiculously huge sounding. I use mine with a Whitebox (Jet City) 1x12 and G12K100, and good lord the low end is ridiculous! Looking around for a mesa wide body cab now though.

Yeah, the Mark IV has a great lead channel, but that's really the only one I ever found useful on that amp. Not to say that the cleans aren't good on it, just not my cup of tea. That being said, I've owned plenty of amps that are in a similar price range to it that do a very similar sound, with more versatility. I really like the Mark V, though - Wouldn't mind owning that amp again, as there was a usable tone on every channel of that amp for me

Nice score on the Series I Recto - I agree with you, they are much better than the Series II, at least on the lead channel. Series I is tighter, kind of like a mix between a 2 channel Dual Recto and a 3 channel. Cleans on the Series II are better, though. There was a Series I Single Recto on my CL a few weeks ago for $500; really contemplated buying it, but I've had one before and as much as I liked it then, I don't think I'd keep it long now. No matter, the Roadster has certainly quenched my thirst for the Recto sound again!
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Oh yes... I also got this:

And one as a size reference:

This tiny thing is a Fender Vibro Champ XD!

To be quite honest, I wasn't expecting much at all out of this... but I'm actually quite surprised; it sounds pretty freaking great. Don't get me wrong, some of the models are truly disgusting... but considering I traded a handheld recorder that I paid nothing for (and was worth ~$50), I'm more than satisfied with my trade!

Surprisingly enough, I'm quite impressed by how this thing handles high gain sounds. Pretty cool sounding, especially with such a tiny speaker. I'm sure it'd sound even better through a proper cab... but these things are cheap, and I have a feeling that most people will never use them through a cab.

For practice at home, it's pretty cool. It's surprisingly loud and the built in effects are cool. Not a whole lot of control over them, but that's fine - It's fun to just flip through a few until you find one you like. I don't generally use any effects, so when something has them built in, it's always easier for me to integrate them into what I'm playing. I'm too lazy to setup a pedalboard This little amp easily does teh br00tz, but also has some pretty great low to mid gain models, too!
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
sweet
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Is this going to be another one of those threads that has new stuff every page?

I like those little Fenders.
I hate the half treadplate aesthetics of the Roadster, but it's a hell of a lot of amp for the price.

I would rather have the RKII for the cleans alone though. Dat Lonestar. AFAIK the Roadster doesn't have the Lonestar circuit like the RKII does? Just something else better than typical Rectifier cleans? Idk.

Gonna play some BtBaM on that?

HNGD!
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Children are starving somewhere in the world and you're out getting cool amps? For shame!!!

Seriously, HNA(x2)D!!! Enjoy the hell out of them!
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by gregs1020
is the mesa sold yet?

the VCXD is a killer little jam box for sure.

Nope, not yet. Me likes it, might actually be a keeper, with my 5150. We'll see once I get a 2 channel and A/B them

Yeah, I quite like the VCXD - Though when the guy originally emailed me, I was hoping it was the SCXD, as 5W seemed pretty measly. It's actually pretty loud cranked, but I still think 15 extra watts would've been better, along with the bigger speaker. Oh well, not like I can complain when I basically got it for the price of gas

Quote by cdr_salamander
Is this going to be another one of those threads that has new stuff every page?

I like those little Fenders.

Could be?

I actually think this might be the first Fender amp I've ever owned, more that I think about it...

Quote by Offworld92
I hate the half treadplate aesthetics of the Roadster, but it's a hell of a lot of amp for the price.

I would rather have the RKII for the cleans alone though. Dat Lonestar. AFAIK the Roadster doesn't have the Lonestar circuit like the RKII does? Just something else better than typical Rectifier cleans? Idk.

Gonna play some BtBaM on that?

HNGD!

Yeah, the aesthetics of the Roadster never really wow'd me, but it's starting to grow on me. I actually kinda like it - At least the treadplate is black. I hate the chrome treadplate.

I'm pretty sure the Roadster is the same as the Road King II, just without the second loop, progressive linkage and assignable cabinets? I could be wrong, though.... I just know that the low gain tones are much improved from the series I RK.

I actually don't know any BTBAM

Quote by FatalGear41
Children are starving somewhere in the world and you're out getting cool amps? For shame!!!

Seriously, HNA(x2)D!!! Enjoy the hell out of them!

Those children probably built the little Fender, too

Quote by mmolteratx
Meh. Where's the rest?

Well... some of it's not here yet!
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com

I just wish I could wheel & deal gear like you & Greg. My wife would f#@king kill me if I bought another amp without selling something, & I'm weak...I can't part with any of my amps or cabs.

I've always liked Dual Rec tone. Nothing else really sounds close. Lots of amps can copy other amp tones, but I've never found a non-Mesa amp than can copy a Dual Rec anywhere close. Hats off to Mesa for making such a great signature tone.
God, those are fun to play
Congrats, man.

BTW-where's the rest of the stuff?

Edit: oops, just saw you don't have the other stuff yet^
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Last edited by riffhog at Oct 22, 2013,
HNAD. I expected this thread would be full of stuff, but while the quantity was low it did not fail to deliver. Nice Fender.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
Now, now... I said SOME of it's not here yet
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Now, now... I said SOME of it's not here yet

Well then...

Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
Quote by MatrixClaw
Those children probably built the little Fender, too

Given that Fender's amp factory is in Mexico, that isn't a stretch...

Is there a new cabinet en route to go with the new Mesa?
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by FatalGear41
Given that Fender's amp factory is in Mexico, that isn't a stretch...

Is there a new cabinet en route to go with the new Mesa?

Not for the Mesa, no. That's staying on the Emperor.

Maybe for something else, though...
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Well since no one seems to love pretty things on here anymore, I'll post more!

A few days after trading for the Fender VCXD, I went and traded the same guy for this puppy:

I traded a 24" computer monitor that I got for free, and would probably be worth less than $100, for this one. She's a gorgeous looking, playing and sounding, Tacoma DR38! Yep - I traded a monitor worth $100 for the top-of-the-line Tacoma that was $1900 brand new

As some of you may know, I've been on an acoustic kick lately. I've really enjoyed playing my old 60's Yamaha for the past few months, and it's gotten interested in playing guitar again most recently (I've been on somewhat of a hiatus for a while, rarely picking one up). I figured... I've got some nice electrics... I've got some nice basses.... I've got some nice drums.... but I don't have a really nice acoustic. So... I set out to find a nice acoustic!

Originally, I was actually going to trade my Orange Thunderverb 50 for a 1978 Martin D28, but it had some issues and I was scared to take it on. Could've been a great guitar, but could've also been a lot of risk. Over the course of a week, I probably played upwards of 50 different acoustics - After researching this Tacoma (which the guy let me play when I traded for the Fender), I figured it was worth the risk, and boy... I'm glad I got it. This thing EASILY hangs with the Martin HD28, my favorite of the bunch I played. Maybe not quite as good... but considering what I traded for it, I don't really see myself buying another acoustic anytime soon! Super excited with this thing, so much so that I can barely put it down

Can't wait to use it for recording. She sounds glorious acoustically, I can only imagine with a mic.....
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
**** off...
this is even better than that time tom (or was it greg?) got a ebmm jp for 100
who is this guy?

(also, its t3h shekterz, it haz t3h abalone!!!!!!!)
Quote by kangaxxter
Tone is in the fingers.

What you really need is a new amp.

(Anything I missed?)

Quote by Robbgnarly
I have been hearing about MG amps lately. I have heard good about them, but only a few times have they been talked about here.

Last edited by randomguy2000 at Oct 23, 2013,
Hey man, how versatile is the Roadster? And in comparison to a Mark V? I'm looking to get one of those and can't decide between the 2
I play mainly alternative and prog, but need it to be able to handle a lot of genres
Quote by randomguy2000
**** off...
this is even better than that time tom (or was it greg?) got a ebmm jp for 100
who is this guy?

(also, its t3h shekterz, it haz t3h abalone!!!!!!!)

Man, I must've missed that one!

Quote by mariotyler
Hey man, how versatile is the Roadster? And in comparison to a Mark V? I'm looking to get one of those and can't decide between the 2
I play mainly alternative and prog, but need it to be able to handle a lot of genres

Just read through your thread... Personally, I think the Mark V would be more your speed, but I'll run down some of the key differences:

The Roadster has a larger range on the cleans than the Mark V does, IMO. The Mark series generally have a fairly warm sounding clean channel, but the V is capable of much more sparkle than the IV was. I wasn't big on the cleans in the Mark IV (not that they were bad, just kinda boring and sterile...), but I was quite impressed with the Mark V.

Mid gain is definitely going to tip in favor of the Mark V. The Crunch and Mark I settings were actually my favorite of all the settings. The Roadster can do mid-gain, but since it's definitely a modern-voiced amp, you're not going to really get that cranked Marshall sound that I tend to associate with those tones. It's going to be a more unique sound, but perhaps not one that most people would choose.

High gain really depends on what you're wanting. The Mark series are tight and fluid, the Roadster/Recto sound is huge and aggressive. Not to say that you can't smooth out a Recto or fatten up a Mark, but generally, these are the sounds they're known for. The Roadster/Recto is THE quintessential Mesa rhythm tone, while the Mark is the lead tone. The Roadster can do leads and the Mark can do rhythms, of course, but depending on which you do more of is really the determining factor in this battle. Personally, I play mostly rhythms, and I've never been super picky about lead tones, so the Recto really hits the nail for me - Though the Crunch setting with the gain dimed on the Mark V is hard to beat, too! - But if you're looking for a clearer tone with a tight low end, the Mark is the obvious choice.

Really, both are fantastic amps... I'm not sure I'd trade this Roadster for the Mark V, but at the same time, I'm not sure I'd trade a Mark V for a Roadster, either. They're both totally different sounds, and both have sounds I quite enjoy, and wouldn't easily be replaced by the other
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Because I'm a generous sort, I'm prepared to offer you twice what the monitor was worth for that stolen DR38?

Nice score!
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
Because I'm a generous sort, I'm prepared to offer you twice what the monitor was worth for that stolen DR38?

Nice score!

To be fair, it does have the typically finish peeling on the right side which is notoriously associated with Tacoma guitars, and the guy I got it from thought it was a DR14 (though with research after I got it, it was determined it was definitely a DR38), but I have a luthier friend who is willing to do a complete refinish on it for $100, or I might give it a shot myself. Not too bothered to get it done anytime soon though, sounds amazing as-is, kinda scared to do any work to it
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Sweet thanks so much for the in-depth reply man! I've never had such a helpful reply, yet unhelpful at the same time haha
Problem is I do a lot of rhythm and lead stuff and I need versatility for the occasional session work I do. Maybe I'll have both running with an amp switcher one day
Thanks dude!
Quote by MatrixClaw
Really, both are fantastic amps... I'm not sure I'd trade this Roadster for the Mark V, but at the same time, I'm not sure I'd trade a Mark V for a Roadster, either. They're both totally different sounds, and both have sounds I quite enjoy, and wouldn't easily be replaced by the other

Quote by mariotyler
Sweet thanks so much for the in-depth reply man! I've never had such a helpful reply, yet unhelpful at the same time haha
Problem is I do a lot of rhythm and lead stuff and I need versatility for the occasional session work I do. Maybe I'll have both running with an amp switcher one day
Thanks dude!

To be honest - Most people say the leads are improved on the Roadster and Road King over the original Recto designs, but really, I don't know that I believe that. It can do leads, but I think if you want one for both, the Mark is the best choice.

Quote by cdr_salamander

Thus is the gear-***** way
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by mmolteratx
Where's the rest?

Well, I see that it's been delivered, but I won't be home for at least 8 more hours!
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Oh yeah... I did get something else!

PLANET WAVES HUMIDIFIER!!!!

Seriously, I've never used a humidifier before, and considering I have 2 60's acoustics and live in Arizona... I figured it'd probably be a good idea to get one, finally

Honestly, I'm surprised at how quickly it's worked its magic... Put it inside my old Yamaha acoustic that was starting to sound dead and super bassy... Now it's full and has a nice chime to it. Only bad thing is, it totally killed the strings, by adding a bunch of buildup from the extra humidity, so I had to change them out for new ones.

Also, I took some new (better) pictures last night... Oh and the last piece of this NGD got here yesterday, but I didn't have a chance to try it yet, cause I got home late

Also... I uploaded these to Facebook and its automatic tagging system thought that carpet was a person's face...

Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Page 1 of 3