Hello guys.
I play the electric guitar and now I am thinking of starting playing bass guitar.Is it hard to play bass?
That would depend on whether you're playing YYZ or Highway To Hell.
Spare a Cow
Eat a Vegan
My favorite bands are Pink Floyd(my favorite bassist is Roger Waters),Led Zep, AC/DC,Lynyrd Skynyrd,GnR....No metal Staff
The bassists for the bands you've listed cover a great deal of musical territory. All of them have done some very easy stuff, and some of them have done some very difficult stuff. Leon Wilkerson of Lynyrd Skynyrd was a criminally underrated and underappreciated bassist, and he turned out plenty of complicated bass parts in his day. Led Zeppelin? JPJ is a great bassist and a great musician with a number of different instruments. His bass playing runs the line from eighth notes on the root for "Rock and Roll" to some downright mind-bending stuff like "The Ocean" and the subtle undertones and complemenatry patterns of "Stairway to Heaven." There is enough in the Led Zeppelin catalog to keep you busy for years. Despite the annoying guitar lead in the opening of GNR's "Sweet Child of Mine," Duff McKagan's bass part drives the entire song and made it the hit that it is. Listen to just the bass and you'll see why Guns & Roses is nowhere near as good without his input.

Is it hard to play the bass? No. Is it hard to play the bass well? Not especially so. Is it hard to play the bass like Jaco Pastorius and Victor Wooten? You'd better believe it is! But it is a strange, wonderful, frustrating and satisfying journey; one well worth taking. You will get out of it whatever you put into it, and perhaps more.

Go for it. And welcome to the Low End, my friend!
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Last edited by FatalGear41 at Oct 22, 2013,
Quote by pankar94
Hello guys.
I play the electric guitar and now I am thinking of starting playing bass guitar.Is it hard to play bass?

It's not hard to play bass, but it is hard to play it consistently well. Sometimes it's the really simple parts that make the rythym. Sometimes it needs a little bit more. What you leave out of a bassline can be just as important as what you put in. Oh, and the drummer is your brother. Get a feel for each other's playing. Practice, practice and more practice
Last edited by WibbleWobble at Nov 3, 2013,
Quote by WibbleWobble
It's not hard to play bass, but it is hard to play it consistently well.

I like this. Very true! Also, the bass player has to be good/consistent enough to hide the guitarist's mistakes.
If you can play the electric guitar, you'll have no problem starting to play the bass. They share lots of techniques and the notes are the same on the fretboard (you just have the guitar's four lowest strings on bass). What you need to learn is to play like a bassist. Bass and guitar have different roles in a band. But you'll learn that style by listening to what other bassists do. It's a cool instrument, I recommend learning to play it.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115