Hey guys, I'm looking for some input.

I have a huge problem with strings snapping on my guitars, especially, but not exclusively, outside. I jam a lot with my band, and it seems after 5 hours of jamming I always snap a string. This is a huge problem as I've snapped strings live at both outdoor and indoor gigs. I've tried almost every string brand out there, and they all seem to snap on me, some more than others.

Currently I'm using Dean Markley Signature Series strings, which seem to break a little less than the others, but it's still a problem. I have 3 shows coming up next week, and i'm at wits end trying to figure this out. I stretch my strings so they get less out of tune live, so maybe that's it? I've also been told I have a weird way of holding a pick, although I'm not sure if this would affect the strings snapping.

I use a Fender American Standard Telecaster and a Burny Les Paul Super Grade live.

Just wondering if someone could help me out here. Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I usually use a gauge no thinner than 10-46
Last edited by Lost Dog at Oct 22, 2013,
Do the strings always break at the same spot? And the same string?
I had that problem once because of a deformed crevice in my saddles just from wear and tear. It would always break at that point.
Quote by Marekbeck
Do the strings always break at the same spot? And the same string?
I had that problem once because of a deformed crevice in my saddles just from wear and tear. It would always break at that point.

I usually break the d, b, or high E on both of my guitars. You do have a point though, that definitely could be a problem with my burny as it is around 30 years old.
do your strings break in the middle or do they break on the bridge?
F*ck Chuck Norris ... SpongeBob grills under water
Check for burrs on the bridge too. I had a bass that was eating A strings about every 2 shows. Took it to the shop for a setup and had them check the saddle. Sure enough, they found a little burr. Filed it down and never had the problem again.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Thanks for the replies guys, I really appreciate it and I'll try every suggestion. And richso, the D seems to break in the middle most of the time, and the B and high E seems to break at the bridge.
Considering it happens on both guitars the same way, I'm really inclined to say user error.

I don't really have any suggestions though. I play hard as hell when I get into it with downright just too much pick attack, to the point where just my attack makes the notes out of tune... and I never ever break strings. So I have no idea what you could possibly be doing.

It's possible that you have burs in the same exact places on multiple saddles on multiple guitars... it's just very highly unlikely.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Considering it happens on both guitars the same way, I'm really inclined to say user error.

I don't really have any suggestions though. I play hard as hell when I get into it with downright just too much pick attack, to the point where just my attack makes the notes out of tune... and I never ever break strings. So I have no idea what you could possibly be doing.

It's possible that you have burs in the same exact places on multiple saddles on multiple guitars... it's just very highly unlikely.

Yeah, I think I agree. My band's bassist says he thinks its because I don't hold my pick right (self taught, somehow never got around to learning the right way), and that just might be it. I've never heard of anyone who has broken as much strings as me. Although I can't really see how holding a pick in a slightly different way can cause me to break strings, I'm going to have to try picking the right way. All the strings are getting very expensive and it's incredibly frustrating breaking a string live (I'm the only guitarist so it's very noticeable). Thanks again for the feedback.
You've tried different strings, have you tried different picks?

Your technique just might be the answer though, as much as that sucks. Changing technique is not something anyone likes to do, I don't think.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X