Hi there,

Ever since i tried a Tokai LS160, i made up my mind and decided I would buy a Tokai instead of a Gibson, for sure.
However, I still have doubts between buying the LS160 or the LC195s.
The main visible difference between both is the colour, as the LS160 is issued as standard Gibson LP featuring the Gold Top, Cherry Sunburst and so on, and the LC195s features the Black Beauty finish. Other than that, the LS160's neck is made of rosewood while the lc195's is made of ebony.
I really wanted to have the Black Beauty finish on my guitar but I am not able to try the LC195s before buying it, and I fear that the difference in the neck's wood may worsen the sound, leading to a loss of warmth of the sound and increasing the chances of getting those annoying highs in the thinner strings. I am also more used to rosewood than to ebony, so the guitar may also feel worse. As far as price goes, the LC195s should cost me at least extra 300€, and unfortunatelly I feel quite tempted to go for it just because its looks...
Has anyone tried any of these two? What was your opinion? Should I try Gibsons with different neck woods to have a comparison on how the Tokai's should feel?

Thanks a lot and sorry for this long testament!
It's up to you, really. Ebony is a little brighter (it's worth bearing in mind that it's only the fretboard, both guitars have mahogany necks), faster attack, that type of stuff (I haven't tried either guitar).

It wouldn't hurt to try gibsons with the different fretboard woods, that would be a good idea.

I think the cheaper MIJ tokai black beauty/custom model has a rosewood fretboard, but then you're losing the nitro finish etc. and it won't be just as high-end a model.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
it's really more about feel with those two models. like dave said ebony has a slightly different attack to the note and feels smoother. Ebony boards can be a little brighter sounding.

if you want the custom, get the custom. if it's what you want it's worth saving up for.

regret is a bitch.
^ yeah at that kind of money, saving a little (comparatively) and putting up with something you didn't really want doesn't make much sense.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ yeah at that kind of money, saving a little (comparatively) and putting up with something you didn't really want doesn't make much sense.

Yes i made a mistake, i meant only the fretboard and not the whole neck but you guys got it right hehe even so, i have read it can play a big difference in the sound so i'll try some gibsons for comparison (these are much easier to find here of course hehe)
Thanks a lot for your help! If ebony feels good enough i'll go for the LC195s!
most people would say ebony feels "better" than rosewood, it's the tone really. You really need to try it to be sure, it's one of those things that some people don't even hear at all but that for other people make a big difference.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?