Hey everybody,

If you read my previous thread from yesterday you'll probably know I was toying with the idea of buying a DR MAZ 38 NR from a local store of mine. It's priced at around £1500,00 and while this price is do-able, a few things have come to my attention and I wanted to list the amp options. Ideally i'd like to spend £1000. If i went with the DR Z i'd lend the additional money and have no effects pedals (all amps up to this date have been Valvetronix so never purchased pedals)

Alternative amps i'm considering are:

Vox AC30C2
Vox Night Train Head NT 50 + V212 2X12 CAB
Fender 59 Bassman LTD
Fender Reissue Blues Deluxe

I'm looking to get a similar tone to John Mayer and Keith Urban although, I love the Brad paisley tone in this video also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pFxhHDw5pQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14m8nW7Y3OE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad7lenMmYJI

Essentially, I'm unable to make the decision and will be trying as many of these amps as possible in the coming week in a local store depending upon stock however, i guess i'm wondering whether it's a not very wise move buying the DR Z and having no effects pedals, that and or a attenutator as i understand it'll be extremely loud.

I'm open to new amp suggestions along with advice on the ones listed!

Thanks everyone
If you want tone similar to Mayer then Vox is probably off the list, it's just not the same sound. Granted an AC30 isn't a bad choice, but if you want that vintage-esqu tones like him then there are better choices. There's no question that Dr. Z makes great stuff, but you can do just as much damage with a fender amp for a little less money. The bassman is a cool amp, twin reverbs obviously are always something to look at too. Are you going to be using pedals? All of those amps are going to be loud, but if you are using pedals it'll work out a bit differently than if you were using just the amp for drive tones.
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
Thanks for your response!
I think the tone i'd like is leaning more towards a Keith Urban tone, i love his guitar/amp sound. As far as using pedals goes. It really depends on what I spent on the amp. I don't own any pedals, so would like to buy some Ideally a OD, Delay, Reverb and Compressor. I think those 4 are the ones i use most. If you could suggest a great amp, for stage use (not necessarily huge stages) but say 300-500 person venues maximum that would be perfect for the tone i'd want i can investigate further. Thanks
It's really just a matter of seeing what you want your amp to do for you. I use a twin which is great for staying clean and I use pedals for everything else. It can get plenty loud and stay clean if I need it to. This application isn't for everyone, some people prefer their amp to break up for them. The bassman i think is somewhere around 40 watts which is a great spot for some breakup. If pedals are something you want to look at you might wanna stick to getting a fender as opposed to a Dr. Z just for cost alone. I've yet to play it but I hear that wampler paisley drive is a sweet pedal. Any shops near you that have a good variety of amps that actual guitar players would realistically want to buy? Go and try some out, a popular fender model is the hot rod series, it's a lot lower is price than the heavy hitters but every bit as useful.
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
ac30c2 or cc2 (better IMO). I have read that these two are the closest sounding to the 60s ac30s (excluding handwired ones), and that with a couple simple mods (one of them being switching out the bright cap) they sound really close.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Not really a big expert in this, but you might wanna check out some used/cloned (ceriatone and stuff) blackface or tweed bassman.
More blackface though, I'd say.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
You want Keith Urban tone mostly, you want a Bad Cat amp

I like the Ceriatone idea, they have Matchless clones and Dumble clones. Brad, Keith and John all use Dumbles among other amps
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Oct 22, 2013,
Thanks for all of your feedback, i'm going to be looking into this tomorrow/next day and then go try a few amps out/decide what i'd like to do! I'm looking to buy a number of effects aswell so will post another thread about pedals i'm looking to buy soon.

thanks everyone!!
I highly doubt you'll be able to try a Ceriatone. But check them out online. Nik is a great guy and he builds a really soild product
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
nice
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
you literally cannot be disappointed with a dr. z if it suits your style of music. they really are top notch.

in fact, for how good they are, i think they are very affordable. some amps that rival in quality are on the thousands.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)