Hey everyone I have been playing bass for about 3 years and have never ever been able to use my little finger properly I can use it a little but if I go index middle ring soon as my ring finger holds down on a feet my little finger curls up and I have no control over it. If I try to keep it straight it cramps up and really hurts. It has always been like this since I started playing. Is there anything I can do to gain control or will I be stuck with it? I have tried different hand positions finger positions but it just curls up into my hand naturally.

I dont struggle with songs it would just be nice to be able to use it.
I suggest four-finger chromatic exercises, mixing up the finger order and playing from the nut to the 12th fret and back with each pattern. You can also do exercises where all you do is fret with the little finger. Try some two-fret stretches near the middle of the fretboard when doing such exercises. That should help a great deal. Now; if your problem with your little finger is due to some physical infirmity or condition, then you probably should have a doctor look at it. You do not want to make anything worse, because hand injuries take forever to heal.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
3 years and no pinky?

This is not really good.

4 chromatic notes finger exercises first. Start on 12th fret with your pinky and go back.

12 11 10 9 12 11 10 9.

Then start spreading your fingers apart ( this is actually a stretching exercise but do the pinky and ring finger parts because it helps build up the strength of your fist ).

12 10 9 8 12 10 9 8 and 12 11 9 8 12 11 9 8.

Second thing, practice playing the octave with your pinky.

D----------5--------------5--------
A-------------------------------
E----3----------3------

Practice this with your MIDDLE AND PINKY fingers, too.

Practice the tapping solo for Metallica - One on the bass. A LOT!

I have a similar problem with my pinky and ring fingers, they sometimes feel like they are stuck together.

Play a lot. Get around it.

Also get those c*ck rings... I mean, hand rubber exercise things...

Last edited by realsmoky at Oct 23, 2013,
Watch the use of any hand exercise devices. Sometimes they can do far more harm than good.

Also with chromatic exercises, I'd recommend spider scales, starting up on the upper frets. And go slow--you should not be aiming for speed but retracing your fingers to do something they are unaccustomed to doing.
It's not the strength I lack to hold anything down with my pinky at all I can play octave filled songs like uprising with my pinky and I can play chilli peppers stuff like raindance maggie using it and californication it's just if I put my ring finger down my little curls up into my hand and then it's hard to get it back where I want it if that makes sense I have the holding down strength just no control when I try and say go 1 2 3 4 with index middle ring and little when I put my ring finger down my little spazzes out. Will these exercises help still.
They should help. it sounds like you've got a naturally short tendon in your hand. Be careful stretching it. You can accomplish some gains, but if you overdo it, you are going to strain the tendon. Not good! Any injury like that to the hand takes forever to heal, because we are constantly using our hands. Take it slow, and do not expect miracles.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley