Hello all,

I've posted a few threads the last 24 hours about amps, this one is about effects and what i'm looking to get/buy. I'm thinking about spending approximately £600.00 on effects and then a similar amount on an Amp (maybe a little more) at a later stage. I think it's important i get some good pedals first though.

I'm looking for the following:

Compressor
Overdrive
Delay
Reverb

Non essential (at the moment atleast) extra pedals i'd like are:

Wah Wah
Equalizer

So i've found a large number of pedals i like and i've narrowed it down to the following (please advise me of better pedals or feedback on these ones if you have experience with them) - Again i'm going for a Keith Urban tone. Or as close as:

Compressor:
Wampler Ego Compressor
Keeley Compressor
Boss CS-3 (To save some cash)

Overdrive:

Fulltone FD2 Fulldrive
Maxon OD-9
T Rex Alberta
MXR M193
Boss BD 2 Blues Driver

Delay:

MXR Carbon Copy
Aqua Puss Analog Delay
Wampler Analog echo pedal

Reverb -

Electro Harmonix Holy Grail

Now i realise i won't be able to get the top of the line everything for my budget in pedals but if i can get the best of these options or alternatives i'd be happy. Even starting with Delay, OD and a Compressor.

Any advice would be brilliant and may i just say a massive thank you to all the help i've had from you all so far!
A lot of great pedals. From my experience some pedals dont agree with some rigs. To keep yourself from spending thousands chasing a specific soun you could alwasy try a multifx processor.
honestly i'd spend more on the amp and cheap out on the pedals. Unless you're after the couple of pedal types where you really do have to spend $$$ to get something decent (wah and reverb are two like that, off the top of my head), there are a lot of remarkably decent pedals available for very little cash, which are often clones or slightly tweaked versions of existing, sought-after circuits.

for example, in the overdrive column you've listed there, in your options, you have (respectively) a glorified boss sd1, a tubescreamer, a very slightly different tubescreamer, another tubescreamer/sd1 (i forget which; even an sd1 is arguably TS-based, so you can see where I'm going with this) and a boss bluesdriver.

Even for the bog standard ones there (tubescreamer, sd1 and bluesdriver) there are cheaper options- again, respectively, digitech bad monkey or joyo vintage overdrive, daphon e-od20 and digitech screamin blues.

Sometimes with the cheaper pedals reliability can be iffy, but if you're only trying to find out what you like, that doesn't matter so much. even if reliability is a concern, it's debatable if the dearer pedals are any better than boss/digitech and the like when you consider that 3pdt switches which are often used on boutique pedals are almost inherently unreliable, at least when compared to those soft switches that boss and the like use.

it's your money and your call, of course. And I'm certainly not saying that every more expensive pedal is just a clone of something that already exists or not worth it or anything like that. But a lot are, and you can spend a lot of money getting fairly pedestrian stuff if you're not careful in the effects world.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
dave has some good points. would help to know amp, guitar and style of music. fx are the icing on the cake so having a solid basic sound is what you need to work on first. no point in spending big money on an overdrive as it's not likely to make much difference over a good affordable one. same goes with the other fx to some degree. don't get suckered into thinking that a $200 overdrive will make an average amp into a producer of the tone of the gods. some fx like delay do benefit (to a degree) from spending a little more on them but once again you can find affordable fx that will do a great job.
I'm a real fan of Wampler's pedals, all the way back to the days when he'd hand his designs out as DIY stuff. I think Line 6 probably has some of the best delay pedals in the business. And I could go on.

I literally have two of those flap-top bins packed to the gills with old pedals, some of them now worth silly money as vintage originals. I've spent at least ten grand on pedals. But if I were doing things right now (and I am), I'd go with Dave_Mc's advice and cheap out on them.

In fact, I'd buy a used Pod HD and start with it just as an FX generator. For about $275 (maybe less), you can screw with the functional equivalents of six jillion different classic pedals, get used to who does what, and then go on the hunt. In fact, I got lazy. I'd be looking for an original ProCo Rat sound and consider digging through the carefully layered and organized bins and then finding room on the pedalboard and then plugging one of the leads from the DC brick in and then hooking up the pair of mini-cables and then fiddling with it. But then I'd realize that there was already a Rat model in the Pod, poke it up, consider where in the chain I wanted it (virtually, of course) and then commence to fiddling. And the bins began to gather dust. Every now and then I'd haul out the "real thing" and plug it in and spend an hour doing "this versus that" comparisons, and then get tired of the extra snarl and take the "real thing" back to the bin.

If you find yourself adding up the various pedals and noticing that the number is NOT very small, especially for what are "basic" pedals, you may want to see what an Axe-FX Ultra (the best of the previous generation of Fractal offerings) is running used these days.

Here's another thing. I've spent (Lord, I've spent) some money on amps. I've got at least 15 tube amps in storage, along with a home-wrecking stack of additional cabinetry. There are four 4x12s in expensive storage that I'll likely never use again except as a stage decoration somewhere. Between Pods (XTs, Bass XTs, HDs) and that Axe-FX Ultra, I've decided that I really don't need them, even for bedroom wanking. I'm running them into headphones, recording monitors, full-range stage rigs and FOH systems with them, and with a bit of EQ I have everything I had before and more. YMMV, of course, but I'm squinting at the storage space and the sheer cash tied up in all this stuff and thinking, "I could clear it all, not pay the storage bill and continue to carry my essential rig in the pocket of my gig bag..."
Forget about pedals until you sort out your amp. If all you have left over after buying an amp is enough to buy a bad monkey then so be it. The amp is so much more important it isn't funny and the amp you have affects which pedals you actually need. Thinking about pedals before you sort out your amp is like trying to decide what tyres you want before you decide on which car you are buying.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Forget about pedals until you sort out your amp. If all you have left over after buying an amp is enough to buy a bad monkey then so be it. The amp is so much more important it isn't funny and the amp you have affects which pedals you actually need. Thinking about pedals before you sort out your amp is like trying to decide what tyres you want before you decide on which car you are buying.

Was about to post almost exactly this. Your priorities are backwards - your amp is your foundation. Everything else builds on top of it.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Thanks all for your great responses and advice. I really appreciate it. I think i'm a little confused basing things on my budget. I've got about £1000-1200 to play with in total. And currently have no pedals what so ever. I've got at the moment a Vox ad120+ valvetronix amp.

So i'm lookng to buy myself a valve amp and have enough money to have some effects that i can use on stage.

I've got a Fender Strat Standard and a Fender Telecaster Standard and i'm looking to achieve a John Mayer/Keith Urban kind of tone. (Modern country music)

I've looked through various amps from Dr Z to Vox to Fenders and narrowed it down to one of the 3. If I bought a DR Z i wouldn't be able to buy any effects though. Alternatively, could go with the Fender Blues Junior as an intro to the valve world and build the pedals on this initially and upgrade to a better amp in a year or so. Another issue is alot of local stores don't have much choice of amps to try out. So i need to establish a list of what amps i'm interested in and then hunt them down to play them in various areas of the UK.

Thanks again for the great advice
^ it depends as well on how integral a part of your sound effects are. Some players barely use them, others wouldn't sound right without them. So although we're saying to concentrate more on the amp, you also have tailor that advice to your specific situation, as well.

Quote by dspellman

I literally have two of those flap-top bins packed to the gills with old pedals, some of them now worth silly money as vintage originals. I've spent at least ten grand on pedals. But if I were doing things right now (and I am), I'd go with Dave_Mc's advice and cheap out on them.

Quote by Cathbard

agreed.

Quote by VishNuRoXoUt
The best advice I'd give anyone new to pedals...

Don't listen to hype more than your ears...

lol yeah. or just don't register on tgp.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Oct 23, 2013,
Agree with pretty much everything that's been said, gotta square the amp away first. Then maybe, with such a high budget for pedals, you should worry about taking care of one kind at a time? Guys can spend months and months on just overdrives alone. You are looking at all the right kinds for the sound and style you're working towards, but to drop a lot of money all at once on pretty much guesses, unless you do go the cheap route which is completely a legit way to do it, you could end up striking out with some of the pedals and want to switch them out. It pays to research and ask around and demo out all you can, which you seem to know so that's good.
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
Quote by Tim_Miles
Thanks all for your great responses and advice. I really appreciate it. I think i'm a little confused basing things on my budget. I've got about £1000-1200 to play with in total. And currently have no pedals what so ever. I've got at the moment a Vox ad120+ valvetronix amp.

So i'm lookng to buy myself a valve amp and have enough money to have some effects that i can use on stage.

I've got a Fender Strat Standard and a Fender Telecaster Standard and i'm looking to achieve a John Mayer/Keith Urban kind of tone. (Modern country music)

I've looked through various amps from Dr Z to Vox to Fenders and narrowed it down to one of the 3. If I bought a DR Z i wouldn't be able to buy any effects though. Alternatively, could go with the Fender Blues Junior as an intro to the valve world and build the pedals on this initially and upgrade to a better amp in a year or so. Another issue is alot of local stores don't have much choice of amps to try out. So i need to establish a list of what amps i'm interested in and then hunt them down to play them in various areas of the UK.

ok now we are getting somewhere. decide on amp for meyer cleans are very important (as with much country.) suggest getting a fender amp. look for used if possible to stretch the budget and get better gear. any number of tubescreamer type overdrives will work fine. the compressor is important for country and i'd suggest MXR as they have a good rep and are affordable. if possible try as many pedals out and see what works for you.
Quote by Tim_Miles

For the Mayer sound all you'll need is a decent tube amp and a tubescreamer. For amps, I recommend the Fender Blues Junior. That used to be my main amp until I upgraded to a Princeton. Still play the Junior a lot!