NGDs for everybody!

But seriously...

I bought a Gibson. I know, I know. From being such a Fender fanboy over the years, I decided to take a leap off into the deep end and give Gibson it's chance it's been begging for. So, with that being said, I duly present to you my...

2013 Gibson Firebird V!

------

I have to say, it feels so nice to have an electric guitar again. I have been playing the Firebird in local guitar stores for about two months before actually pulling the trigger on one, and now that I have it in my posession it's like a dream come true.

I come to love the Firebird (V specifically) because again, I am a Fender fanboy and the mini humbuckers retained a lot of the traits I liked about single coils. While they are considered humbuckers, if you play them next to, say, a Gibson LP with '57 Classics, you will instantly notice that the mini buckers in the 'Bird are a lot more punchier with a more pronounced high end and tighter low end. I actually had to sit at Sam Ash for a while one day and play both guitars through multiple amps to really develop an appreciation for the sound these put out, because it's definitely different and it definitely takes some getting used to.

Another thing that really stood out to me was the tuners, as they were something I had never seen before. They are called Steinberger tuners, and have a rediculously high gear ratio that allows for very precision tuning (I think they said it needed to be turned 3x times to match the tuning pull of a Grover turning once, so that says something). Regardless, I always love trying new things and I am pretty happy that they decided to do away with the banjo tuners they used originally.

The neck is pretty chunky, and follows suit to the '60s slim taper profile with 22 frets and trapezoid inlays. I like it because if you play the guitar standing up, the neck is more pushed out to the left which makes it more comfortable to play the higher frets. Being 6'4" with a good reach, it felt right at home.

All in all, I am simply in love with her. She is the first axe I've had to where I spent copious amounts of time dating before asking for marriage, and it paid off well in the end because I knew exactly what I was getting. The guitar came shipped from Gibson with an awesome setup and was ready to play, which was such a huge relief, especially with the quality issues everybody has been complaining about with the recent builds.

Don't leave yet!

What good is an electric if you don't have an amp to play it through? Good question, UGer! While out shopping for the Firebird, I decided to grab the one amp that I enjoyed the most while getting to know her at the store, the...

Vox AC15!

This little guy doesn't need much of a review since it's been on here about umpteen gazillion times, but I will say this: If you are going to purchase a Firebird with the mini buckers, plug it into an AC15. They are an amazing couple, and you will not be disappointed.

Nice!

Of all the oddly shaped guitars in existence, the Firebird is definitely my favorite!
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Sweet

Been gassing for a firebird recently. very nearly bought one of the 70s tributes but i chickened out (i'd have ideally wanted sunburst and needless to say, the sunburst ones weren't reduced like the other colours ).

that one looks way more epic than the 70s tributes, though
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?

Ah yiss.

HNGD!
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Johnny Winter Lives!!! HNGD! Crank it!
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Sexy. Firebirds look so weird, yet so good. HNGD
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Sweet

Been gassing for a firebird recently. very nearly bought one of the 70s tributes but i chickened out (i'd have ideally wanted sunburst and needless to say, the sunburst ones weren't reduced like the other colours ).

that one looks way more epic than the 70s tributes, though

Get one! Firebird club!!!

I wanna get an AC too... Really like that amp.

I wish there was a multichannel big head that just had an AC channel with other stuff. Nothing really like that though.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I dunno if I'd ever pull the trigger on a Gibby/Epi Firebird, but hot damn this one is making me think about it.
Quote by Offworld92

I wish there was a multichannel big head that just had an AC channel with other stuff. Nothing really like that though.

65Amps London. It's a Marshall 18 and a Vox AC30 in one. Try one sometime.
Quote by Offworld92

I think most of them have gone now

Also the H&K triamp has a voxy channel in there, I think.

big problem is a lot of the voxy tone is in the alnico speakers.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The Triamp has much more range like I would be looking for, rather than the 65.

However, the eyes say y es, but the wallet says nooooooo

Triamps are balls expensive. Flashy though.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
yeah. i always wasn't too fussed on the highest gain channels of the one i tried.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Nice guitar, How do you like the Steinberger tuners ?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Nice guitar, How do you like the Steinberger tuners ?

They are actually really nice. Not sure how new they are, but I'm surprised I don't see them being used on more guitars. Sure as hell beats the old banjo tuners on the vintage Birds that weighed about 10lbs a piece

My only gripe is that they are a bit tough to turn on the thicker strings, and don't offer much grip. I can see it maybe becoming an issue if you are sweating on stage and need to change tunings on the fly. I think that might just be because they are new and need to be broken in.
BEAUTIFUL guitar, Nick. Geeezzuzz I want one. Sooo old school.
Congrats!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Great combination of Firebird and AC. Love those two together, great haul man!!!
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Charvel So Cal Pro Mod, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Bring it over so I can rub my nutz on it.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by cdr_salamander
They are actually really nice. Not sure how new they are, but I'm surprised I don't see them being used on more guitars. Sure as hell beats the old banjo tuners on the vintage Birds that weighed about 10lbs a piece

My only gripe is that they are a bit tough to turn on the thicker strings, and don't offer much grip. I can see it maybe becoming an issue if you are sweating on stage and need to change tunings on the fly. I think that might just be because they are new and need to be broken in.

Cool, I remember when the Epi version came with them they were like 40:1. They are soposedly really stable.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by mmolteratx
Bring it over so I can rub my nutz on it.

I might this weekend if I don't have ish else going on.

Thanks for the kind words so far everybody. Been really enjoying her!
I will trade you a high five for that bird, consider it....

Seriously though, that is a straight beautiful guitar.
Quote by cdr_salamander
NGDs for everybody!

But seriously...

I bought a Gibson. I know, I know. From being such a Fender fanboy over the years, I decided to take a leap off into the deep end and give Gibson it's chance it's been begging for. So, with that being said, I duly present to you my...

2013 Gibson Firebird V!

------

I have to say, it feels so nice to have an electric guitar again. I have been playing the Firebird in local guitar stores for about two months before actually pulling the trigger on one, and now that I have it in my posession it's like a dream come true.

I come to love the Firebird (V specifically) because again, I am a Fender fanboy and the mini humbuckers retained a lot of the traits I liked about single coils. While they are considered humbuckers, if you play them next to, say, a Gibson LP with '57 Classics, you will instantly notice that the mini buckers in the 'Bird are a lot more punchier with a more pronounced high end and tighter low end. I actually had to sit at Sam Ash for a while one day and play both guitars through multiple amps to really develop an appreciation for the sound these put out, because it's definitely different and it definitely takes some getting used to.

Another thing that really stood out to me was the tuners, as they were something I had never seen before. They are called Steinberger tuners, and have a rediculously high gear ratio that allows for very precision tuning (I think they said it needed to be turned 3x times to match the tuning pull of a Grover turning once, so that says something). Regardless, I always love trying new things and I am pretty happy that they decided to do away with the banjo tuners they used originally.

The neck is pretty chunky, and follows suit to the '60s slim taper profile with 22 frets and trapezoid inlays. I like it because if you play the guitar standing up, the neck is more pushed out to the left which makes it more comfortable to play the higher frets. Being 6'4" with a good reach, it felt right at home.

All in all, I am simply in love with her. She is the first axe I've had to where I spent copious amounts of time dating before asking for marriage, and it paid off well in the end because I knew exactly what I was getting. The guitar came shipped from Gibson with an awesome setup and was ready to play, which was such a huge relief, especially with the quality issues everybody has been complaining about with the recent builds.

Don't leave yet!

What good is an electric if you don't have an amp to play it through? Good question, UGer! While out shopping for the Firebird, I decided to grab the one amp that I enjoyed the most while getting to know her at the store, the...

Vox AC15!

This little guy doesn't need much of a review since it's been on here about umpteen gazillion times, but I will say this: If you are going to purchase a Firebird with the mini buckers, plug it into an AC15. They are an amazing couple, and you will not be disappointed.

Awesome haul. Congrats!

It's sexier than the one I got from the Sam Ash close out a few months back. Welcome to the Firebird Club!

Through all the flak they get on some of these forums, Gibson really does make an excellent instrument.

Dat finish.

Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Through all the flak they get on some of these forums, Gibson really does make an excellent instrument.

I was kinda worried that it would show up with a ton of problems. You guys brainwashed me
^ I think it depends on the price point. I've definitely tried dodgy Gibsons, but they were generally the cheaper ones. Once you hit "Standard" level, it seems to be a lot safer. Their QC may well have got better recently, too.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
That's a good way to think of it I suppose. I just always figured the guy that put the frets in a Standard was the same guy that did it for the Faded Studios, etc. But, you know, I have seen flaws on guitars that come out of their Custom Shop, so I guess it really doesn't matter.
Quote by cdr_salamander
That's a good way to think of it I suppose. I just always figured the guy that put the frets in a Standard was the same guy that did it for the Faded Studios, etc. But, you know, I have seen flaws on guitars that come out of their Custom Shop, so I guess it really doesn't matter.

That's pretty terrifying. When shit like that happens... it's like yeah, they deserve the flak they get. No other company has anywhere near such lax standards. And the Asian brands generally have insane QC all the way down starting at like $600 new.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
^ Even on the cheaper models, if you ask me, they deserve the flak. I mean here the cheapest Gibsons start at around £500. That's easily enough money to expect the guitar to have a decent fret job etc. IMO. Don't get me wrong- I agree wholeheartedly with the principle of cutting corners *which don't matter*, like cosmetics, to bring the price down. That's an excellent way to do it, and when Gibson does that right I applaud it. The problem is, at least on some of the ones I've tried, some of those corners which have been cut *do* matter. When, to hit a certain price point, you have to cut corners which arguably make the thing "not fit for purpose", if you ask me, you deserve flak. In that instance, they should really say, "We'd love to make you a good guitar for £500 but we just can't hit that price point and still make a good guitar which is worthy of our name on the headstock."

Quote by cdr_salamander

It may well be the same guy I dunno. Maybe they have a couple of extra steps of fret finishing on the higher models (I know they use plek now on the higher models, but ).

But yeah I've heard of iffy QC on even higher models, but I haven't noticed much myself. That being said, it's not like I've spent much time really checking out the higher models, so
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Oct 24, 2013,
Quote by Dave_Mc
It may well be the same guy I dunno. Maybe they have a couple of extra steps of fret finishing on the higher models (I know they use plek now on the higher models, but ).

But yeah I've heard of iffy QC on even higher models, but I haven't noticed much myself. That being said, it's not like I've spent much time really checking out the higher models, so

It may very well be a supply and demand issue as well. I mean, think about the number of guitars (lower priced vs. higher) that they have to push out of that factory every day to meet quotas, which ultimately gives them a greater QC failure rate. Now, once it's in the hands of the nitpicky "I just bought a $1000 guitar so it better be perfect" consumer, they will go out of their way to blast every flaw it has on the Internet while the guy that actually got a decent guitar with a good setup usually won't say anything. I think that if everybody was forced to write a review upon receiving their guitar, we would see that the positive experiences far outweigh the negatives. It's apparent everywhere except guitar forums it seems, lol.
yeah probably
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by cdr_salamander
It may very well be a supply and demand issue as well. I mean, think about the number of guitars (lower priced vs. higher) that they have to push out of that factory every day to meet quotas, which ultimately gives them a greater QC failure rate. Now, once it's in the hands of the nitpicky "I just bought a $1000 guitar so it better be perfect" consumer, they will go out of their way to blast every flaw it has on the Internet while the guy that actually got a decent guitar with a good setup usually won't say anything. I think that if everybody was forced to write a review upon receiving their guitar, we would see that the positive experiences far outweigh the negatives. It's apparent everywhere except guitar forums it seems, lol.

For a guitar of that price, the good outweighing the bad isn't good enough.

I'm sure most Gibsons are perfectly fine. But most isn't good enough, compared to the track record of everyone else in the game. You never ever see complaints about poor QC on ESP or Ibanez or Jackson or PRS, and especially not on any of the smaller, higher end stuff.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by cdr_salamander

That's not how QC works though. Once you set a quality standard no product that doesn't meet that standard should ever leave the facility. That's a basic tenet of ISO 9001. Quotas aren't a part of the equation.

That being said, if the (internal) rejection rate becomes excessive that speaks to a procedural failure, a whole different ballgame.

But under no circumstances should a customer EVER see a product that should have been rejected, that's about as big of a quality nonconformity as exists...

From what we see, Gibson and Bugera both need to work on this...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
That's not how QC works though. Once you set a quality standard no product that doesn't meet that standard should ever leave the facility. That's a basic tenet of ISO 9001. Quotas aren't a part of the equation.

That being said, if the (internal) rejection rate becomes excessive that speaks to a procedural failure, a whole different ballgame.

But under no circumstances should a customer EVER see a product that should have been rejected, that's about as big of a quality nonconformity as exists...

+1

I like Gibsons, but seeing some of the flaws that are on the lower-end models at my local GC makes me sick. I haven't laid hands on enough of the standard models to really say much, but the fret jobs on the special models are often horrendous, and a lot of the time the LP studios have ill-fitting fretboards, which is unacceptable for ANY respectable company.

I should be able to expect quality across the board from a well regarded company, if you are a good company you should make the best instrument you can for all the price brackets you intend to inhabit.

FWIW, I have a faded SG and love it to death though

HNGD dude, that thing is freakin' awesome.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by Arby911
Once you set a quality standard no product that doesn't meet that standard should ever leave the facility.

I agree wholeheartedly, but I just never really knew how QC worked there. At least they give out inspection checklists so if you do have a problem you have somebody to blame

Firebird V! by imnjs, on Flickr
Quote by Arby911

good point

Quote by Offworld92
For a guitar of that price, the good outweighing the bad isn't good enough.

I'm sure most Gibsons are perfectly fine. But most isn't good enough, compared to the track record of everyone else in the game. You never ever see complaints about poor QC on ESP or Ibanez or Jackson or PRS, and especially not on any of the smaller, higher end stuff.

agreed.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals