Hi,

I recently purchased a Yamaha Pacifica 112V and I am looking to get a more jazzy (Joe Pass style) tone out of it. The guitar is in the factory settings, haven't changed the strings or anything else (the current strings are pretty light, I am guessing 8 or 9 gauge).

I also bought Yamaha THR5 as a practice amp, which is really flexible.

Please recommend
i) the minimum amount of changes in guitar that I can do at home that would get me a warmer, thicker, sound.
ii) optimum settings on the guitar (pickup position, volume, tone levels) +amp (increased bass, high mid, low treble etc.).

What is the heaviest gauge that I can put in without having to adjust the guitar?
Will 11 flatwounds require any adjustments?

Your help is much appreciated, thanks.
First off, you should play with every possible setting on the guitar itself. I assume it's an SSS strat style?

Go into the neck position or between neck and middle pickup. Start rolling the tone on and off as you play, see if you can find a mellow sweet spot.

Turn up your gain a bit, I find it helps me get the tones I like. A little gain, no distortion.

Finally, it may be you will need pedals, a better amp or something like this to find a tone you can really be happy with. I don't know anything about the THR5, but if it's a solid state amp, you probably won't get enough warmth out of it.

Edit: Just checked out joe, it may also be that you won't get a nice "airy" tone from a solid-body. A lot of early jazz and blues people played those big thick slabs for a reason.

Still, it should be possible to figure something out with what you have.
Going from 8s to 11s will require some set up work. The truss rod, nut and action will have to be redone. That's a pretty good change. Even going from 9s to 11s, you will need some work.

Also, your amp will go a long ways towards creating your desired tone. A good tube amp will help. Rolling off the tone, as previously mentioned, will also help. Flatwounds also help, as I've used them on my Taylor T5 for quite awhile and they really help create a more mellow jazz tone.
Thanks for the helpful replies.

It's HSS strat style, but you can change the bridge pickup to single coil too.

There is a sweet spot with tone, the problem is with high strings (B and E),
as they sound too bright and thin.

Is moving from 8,9 to 10 flatwound fine without adjusting the guitar?

Cheers
Last edited by abdulazizrehan at Oct 23, 2013,
neck pickup, roll your guitar's tone control back a bit (or a lot, use your ears). use one of the warmer, cleaner amp models on your modelling amp.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?