Hey guys. Ive got a VOX ac30, and although I love it I find that the distortion has a certain "sag" to it that I can't seem to escape. It's great for certain types of music but it lacks a nice "crunch". In other words, the bottom end tends to be a little loose. Is there a way I could tighten it up or achieve a marshall type tone? Perhaps an EQ pedal? Maybe a certain distortion pedal? Anything helps!
Thanks.
Which model do you have? The AC30CCs have a switch in the back to change the filtering which would help. Otherwise you could try a SS rectifier plugin or an EQ. Different power tubes might not be a bad idea either.
Quote by slapfunk_101
Hey guys. Ive got a VOX ac30, and although I love it I find that the distortion has a certain "sag" to it that I can't seem to escape. It's great for certain types of music but it lacks a nice "crunch". In other words, the bottom end tends to be a little loose. Is there a way I could tighten it up or achieve a marshall type tone? Perhaps an EQ pedal? Maybe a certain distortion pedal? Anything helps!
Thanks.

Good question, im thinking amp set up and how you get your distortion pedal or pure amp? maybe more top boost less normal channel blend and a soft fuzz like big muff?
Quote by Roc8995
Which model do you have? The AC30CCs have a switch in the back to change the filtering which would help. Otherwise you could try a SS rectifier plugin or an EQ. Different power tubes might not be a bad idea either.

Supposedly I can never find mine unless its the 8ohm to 16ohm switch which I dont think it is..
Then you don't have the AC30CC. The C2 doesn't have the switches, you might have that model.

On the CC there are three switches right next to each other on the back. One's output impedance, one is for output bias, and one is smoothing. The smoothing one is what I was talking about, it doubles the value of the first filter cap which will tighten up the bass somewhat.
what speakers does it have, too?

i may well be way off here, since i normally just play at lower volumes (so rectifier sag is less than at higher volumes, i'm guessing) and am also going by my genz benz (which is voxish rather than a straight clone), but using ceramic speakers instead of my stock alnicos tightens things way up, too.

that might be a sledgehammer-cracking-a-walnut type solution, though. or just downright impractical/prohibitively expensive.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?