I bought it about 3 months ago, and while I did love it, I feel really confined within it's vintage barriers.
It's an amazing amp for sure, but it's more of a one-trick pony, or it could just be me being picky.

I'm putting it up for sale, but what I'm all tied up about is what amp I should be going for.
I played my old 30W Vypyr before I sold it today, and realized how awesome this amp was for the price in terms of features and control of the amp being the modeling amp as it is.

What I'm looking for is a very controllable amp, with the option to be very loud. I love having a Tool-ish crunch, but I also love playing light shoe-gaze dreamscapes, in addition to some grunge maybe, classic rock, and especially the warm and soft jazz type of tone.
The main concerns here are a solid tone, tone versatility, and volume.
I'm a bit afraid however to go to digital amps again, because all I ever hear is how digital is always shit in sound, and that was proven with my Line 6 Spider. Understandable though, it was a cheap thing.

The 30W Vypyr didn't sound TOO bad, and actually sounded solid. When compared next to the Vox it's obvious the more expensive tube amp sounds better, but for 200 dollars new it held it's ground pretty well.

I was thinking possibly picking up a newer 120W Vypyr with the money I would get selling the Vox... Is this a smart move?

All I really need is some guidance, some direction. Maybe not a specific amp, but what range of amps I should be looking into, with a budget cap of around $900?

Sorry for the long read, just need advice as usual. Thanks for the time though!
Guitars:
Agile AL - 3001
Fender Stratocaster HSS
Agile AL- 2000
Squier Stratocaster VII
Amps:
Vox AC30C2
Vox AC15C1 X
Peavey Vypyr 30 X
Line 6 Spider III 75 X
Peavey Blazer 158 X
Look for a used
Peavey Ultra 1x12
Peavey JSX 2x12
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Laney VC50
Mesa Rectoverb 1x12
Mesa Stiletto Ace 1x12

You could actually get a head and cab for your budget
Peavey Ultra 60/120
Peavey JSX
Marshall JCM2000 DSL50/100
Krank 1980
Krank Rev
Krank K-stein

for cabs
Marshall MF280
Marshall 1960

look here www.guitarcenter.com/usedgear
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
For $900 you could get a Laney VH100R with a solid used 2x12 or maybe even 4x12.
That amp would get you to a lot of the sounds you want. They go around $600 for the head pretty regularly. Sound good quiet too, if you need to be. haha
I'm actually realizing that I do need to be getting into heads and cabs.
I'm definitely going to look into these heads.

Are there any drawbacks to a more affordable cab tone-wise versus an expensive one?
Guitars:
Agile AL - 3001
Fender Stratocaster HSS
Agile AL- 2000
Squier Stratocaster VII
Amps:
Vox AC30C2
Vox AC15C1 X
Peavey Vypyr 30 X
Line 6 Spider III 75 X
Peavey Blazer 158 X
Not exactly drawbacks. Just have to find the right cab.

You can find Mesa Rectifier cabs that sell for around $300 used pretty often. Sometimes I even see Marshall 1960A/B or 1960AV/BV cabs sell from $300-$400. They are excellent. Avatar cabs are also really nice and sell really cheap.

Then you'll see Orange cabs sell for much more because they are more sought after on the used market. At least that's how I see it in my used market.
I really love Mesa cabs paired with the Laney VH100R. That with a 2x12 Rectifier Cabinet would be an incredible little rig.
Used Marshall 1960 cabs can be bought used for $300 every day, sometimes less on that site.

Most of the heads I listed cost <$600 typically

You want a decent cab over a cheap one. Avatar cabs are really cheap used and ar built very well and normally are loaded with good speakers.

EDIT: +1 to the VH100r
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Oct 22, 2013,
Peavey JSX, no question.

Maybe a Mesa Tremoverb.

EDIT: Do you need a cab? Mesa's out if so. JSXs go for around $500. Marshall 1960s are a dime a dozen, about $350 is average asking price for one.

The Peavey JSX cab is quite a nice cab though, if you happen to find one. It has an XLR out built into the cab, which is a really cool feature.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Oct 22, 2013,
I'll jump in say that if you liked the small Vypyr, why not grab a used tube Vypyr?
Quote by Offworld92
Peavey JSX, no question.

Maybe a Mesa Tremoverb.

EDIT: Do you need a cab? Mesa's out if so. JSXs go for around $500. Marshall 1960s are a dime a dozen, about $350 is average asking price for one.

The Peavey JSX cab is quite a nice cab though, if you happen to find one. It has an XLR out built into the cab, which is a really cool feature.

I second the Mesa Tremoverb, as I got rid of my Laney VH100R for the one I currently use. Sometimes you can find the 2x12 combo like mine for about $900. It'd definitely be worth it.
I think I'm leaning towards a JSX it seems, mostly because a grand for a head is too much for right now.

So a JSX head with a marshall seems about right?
Guitars:
Agile AL - 3001
Fender Stratocaster HSS
Agile AL- 2000
Squier Stratocaster VII
Amps:
Vox AC30C2
Vox AC15C1 X
Peavey Vypyr 30 X
Line 6 Spider III 75 X
Peavey Blazer 158 X
Quote by Johnnybizzoy
I think I'm leaning towards a JSX it seems, mostly because a grand for a head is too much for right now.

So a JSX head with a marshall seems about right?

Yeah that would be fine. If you can get the MF280 cab I'd get that over any other Marshall cabs in your budget, but a regular 1960 cab will be fine.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The JSX is a really cool amp, but it's probably been the least favorite I've owned. The clean channel is squeaky clean through 85% of the volume know and was hard to get any significant breakup. I wasn't too fond of the crunch channel, I don't remember why as I've had quite a few amps since then.

I have somewhat similar tastes as you but I definitely prefer British amps over American for the most part. What sort of a voicing are you going for? If you're after a somewhat Marshall sound check out a Jet City JCA50/100H and/or whatever the 50W combo version is.

Avatar cabs are legit as well btw, you can find 2x12's used for around $250-300. The ones loaded with a G12H30 and V30 are fantastic underneath a high gain British-style amp.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Quote by Flux'D
The JSX is a really cool amp, but it's probably been the least favorite I've owned. The clean channel is squeaky clean through 85% of the volume know and was hard to get any significant breakup. I wasn't too fond of the crunch channel, I don't remember why as I've had quite a few amps since then.

I have somewhat similar tastes as you but I definitely prefer British amps over American for the most part. What sort of a voicing are you going for? If you're after a somewhat Marshall sound check out a Jet City JCA50/100H and/or whatever the 50W combo version is.

Avatar cabs are legit as well btw, you can find 2x12's used for around $250-300. The ones loaded with a G12H30 and V30 are fantastic underneath a high gain British-style amp.

I have no real preference of american or british, but I've always had an interest in Vox, and my friend has a nice Vox amp that would be good to have and has the control I'm looking for, but it still seems like I wouldn't be able to get exactly what I wanted out of it.

It's dumb because I'm not really after that certain tone. I just know I want my dirt really crisp and crunchy, and my cleans to be able to define any delays / reverbs / modulation that I shove into a wall of sound.
Guitars:
Agile AL - 3001
Fender Stratocaster HSS
Agile AL- 2000
Squier Stratocaster VII
Amps:
Vox AC30C2
Vox AC15C1 X
Peavey Vypyr 30 X
Line 6 Spider III 75 X
Peavey Blazer 158 X
I find the Vypyr Tube 60 so much better than the Vypyr 30 that if you remotely liked the Vypyr 30 you should give the Vypyr 60/120 a chance. I have a bunch of clips in my profile doing all sorts of models on it - all of which you should be familiar with. The only thing it doesn't do real well is the lower gain, edge of breakup thing that tubes do so well - but the Vypyr's analog circuitry/software is pretty impressive imo - especially for the price. I paid $315 for my Vypyr 60.

Just my .311 cents

The JSX is decent enough but I kind of agree with Flux'd - it is just not awesome enough for the amount it is recommended. I'm sure some could say the same for the Vypyr 60 though - it is all preference.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Oct 23, 2013,
I am actually really tempted to get the tube Vypyr, but I just want to be really sure because I don't want to shop for another amp for a good while.
Guitars:
Agile AL - 3001
Fender Stratocaster HSS
Agile AL- 2000
Squier Stratocaster VII
Amps:
Vox AC30C2
Vox AC15C1 X
Peavey Vypyr 30 X
Line 6 Spider III 75 X
Peavey Blazer 158 X
Last edited by Johnnybizzoy at Oct 23, 2013,
All the tube amps mentioned are great. As far as cabs go if you have a general knowledge of wood working I would say just build one. I built mine off of an Orange 2x12 spec. I will probably change the speakers, but I am pretty happy with it.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13