Hey Guys,

I am an intermediate guitar player ands have yet to learn how to re-string my own guitars which, to be honest, I've been a bit scared to do in case I stuff something up.

I've just bought a Squier Jim Root Tele and need to change the strings out for playing in Drop C (I get that string buzz on the current ones). I was wondering if I could get a step-by-step or pointers on replacing the strings - it's a hardtail string-thru body 6-saddle bridge.

I also own a Jackson RR V in Hardtail and a Cort V in Floyd-Rose which I usually just take to my local shop for re-stringing and they sting me $50.00 for it.

Any help would be fantastic!
Take the old strings off, put the new ones on. it really is that easy.

Has the new guitar been set-up for the heavier strings and different tuning? If not you should have a guitar tech do this so your guitar plays and stays in tune better.

If you are dumb enough to pay $50 for a string change you need serious help. Any shop that charges that should be closed. Any shop I know of will change the strings for free if you buy the strings from them
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Oct 22, 2013,
Quote by Robbgnarly
Take the old strings off, put the new ones on. it really is that easy.

Has the new guitar been set-up for the heavier strings and different tuning? If not you should have a guitar tech do this so your guitar plays and stays in tune better.

Nah, literally just received it via Courier. I can see the spring/screw-like things in the saddle and I'd prefer not to deal with them haha. Safe for me to have a crack?
Quote by Drop C Monster
Nah, literally just received it via Courier. I can see the spring/screw-like things in the saddle and I'd prefer not to deal with them haha. Safe for me to have a crack?

Take it to a guitar tech have them set the guitar up and intonate it for the gauge of strings you use and the tuning you play in. This should run you $50 in your typical shop.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
i can see 50 for a floyd. those things are a mother, but its still a string change i still find that on the steeper end.

dude. these are your instruments. thats like being a 30 year old man and needed others to tie your shoes or brush your teeth. you gotta learn this. a hard tail!? thats as easy as it gets.

http://prsguitars.com/forum/showthread.php?4838-quot-Locking-quot-guitar-strings-on-non-locking-tuners

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oY-lHzx2nGg
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
In support of the OP, he did say he was paying $50 for a Floyd re-string. My son's main guitar has a Floyd and I choose to take to a guy to re-string for $40 every other month. We've tried doing it ourselves a few times with varying degrees of success. But it's always a fight between keeping bridge level and keeping it in tune before you lock the nut.
Quote by paulballs
In support of the OP, he did say he was paying $50 for a Floyd re-string. My son's main guitar has a Floyd and I choose to take to a guy to re-string for $40 every other month. We've tried doing it ourselves a few times with varying degrees of success. But it's always a fight between keeping bridge level and keeping it in tune before you lock the nut.

Change the strings one at a time and tune and stretch each string before moving to the next one. It is that easy
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Change the strings one at a time and tune and stretch each string before moving to the next one. It is that easy

We've tried this method (and others), watched plenty of videos on youtube, still cant seem to get it right. Therefore, to save myself the headache, I just pay someone to do it.

We actually had the best luck doing them all at once putting a block under the tail. But then getting the tuning right, while keeping the bridge leve is another matter. We'd tune 2 strings, lock it down, then do the next 2, but then the first 2 went out of tune.