Hi there haven't posted in a long time. I have a part of a song I absolutely cannot play and was wondering if you guys could help me figure it out.

The part that is hanging me up is a gallop with the first two notes on the A string and the third on the low E. I've tried practicing it slow, but I feel like I am not playing it properly and it is impeding me.

The part goes like:
|-----3-----|
e|------------------------------------------------|
b|------------------------------------------------|
G|------------------------------------------------|
D|------------------------------------------------|
A|-------------3---3-----------------------------|
E|----------------------1-------------------------|

Thanks for any help
I'm not familiar with moving strings while galloping, but what I would do with that is a bit complicated. Block the E string with your left hand when hitting those C notes. Next I would block the A string when hitting the F note. Use the same stroke with your right hitting both strings at the same time.
First off, that's not a gallop, those are triplets as indicated by the "|-----3-----|". A gallop is an eighth note followed by 2 16th notes.

Second, that's just simple alternate picking. Either DUD or UDU depending on the context.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
That makes more sense. I've never even heard what the person is describing.
Quote by Junior#1
First off, that's not a gallop, those are triplets as indicated by the "|-----3-----|". A gallop is an eighth note followed by 2 16th notes.

Second, that's just simple alternate picking. Either DUD or UDU depending on the context.

I thought gallop = triplets. That's not from the actual tab which is why I put it there.

But the music I do have indicates its 2 16th notes followed by 1 8th note, the 3 are tied together. What is that called and how would I play it in that fashion?
Quote by Phalen123
I thought gallop = triplets. That's not from the actual tab which is why I put it there.

But the music I do have indicates its 2 16th notes followed by 1 8th note, the 3 are tied together. What is that called and how would I play it in that fashion?

That's a reverse gallop and nothing changes. DUD or UDU depending on context. Hell you could go DUU if you want to go the economy picking route.

I suspect what you actually want to know is how it would have been played originally and that's impossible to tell without more context, i.e. what song it's from and where in the song it is.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
That's a reverse gallop and nothing changes. DUD or UDU depending on context.

I found it helps to play gallops with all down picks. For me it feels more comfortable. I've also heard that both guitarists from Metallica play them this way. Which is a bonus.
Quote by rybread3
I found it helps to play gallops with all down picks. For me it feels more comfortable. I've also heard that both guitarists from Metallica play them this way. Which is a bonus.

Doesn't mean you can't do it the other way; I watched a punk guitarist play with all upstrokes once. Sounded fine.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by rybread3

Why is it a bonus that two Metallica guitarists play like that? I don't understand why anybody cares, just play it your own way.
Quote by rybread3

Actually, no.

Watch this.
It might be more comfortable for your shoulder. It helps with mine. Doesn't you have to. Yes, if you're hitting one string you can hit it in either direction and it sounds the same. Obviously. I just thought it was neat. Kirk Hammet is my favorite metal guitarist. I've never heard such outrage at a factoid.