My MXR 10-band equalizer pedal seems to put out noise into the amp, but I'm stumped as to the cause. The pedal is less than a year old and I brought it to my electronics tech who tested it and found no issues. If I unplug the input side and leave the output side connected to the amp input, I get the same noise, so it can't be anything upstream from the EQ. Here's the weird part: sometimes, it's completely silent and fine. I tried the usual suspects (turned off the compact fluorescent lamp, moved the input cable away from all 110 V line cables, tried different cables) but can't seem to track it down. I've tried moving the EQ power cord away from the cables and moved the box to different locations around the room (still connected to the amp, though). Again, no dice.

I'm at a loss here. Anyone else ever had a similar problem with one of these pedals? Apart from this issue, I like it a lot, but it's pretty much been kept turned off and just takes up space until I can track down the origin of the noise. If it were consistently noisy, I would chalk it up to a circuit problem. That it sometimes is fine tells me that something external is the cause. What the heck is it?
Last edited by jds2 at Oct 23, 2013,
How are you powering it?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
The stock 18 V power supply that came with the EQ. I found one more clue this morning, but I don't know if it will be consistent. Turn on the amp first (Fender Princeton Chorus) , then the EQ --> noise like radio static. Turn on the EQ first, then the amp --> no static. I had to leave for work, so I can't say if this will happen every time or if I just got lucky that one time. I'll do some more tests tonight. I can't understand why the order of powering on the devices would matter, though.
Are you positive it's the EQ? Have you tried running the amp with no pedals at all? Sounds more like an amp problem.

Dying tubes can do this, but I looked up your amp, it's SS, right?

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
It's definitely the EQ. No noise problems with any other pedals or no pedals at all apart from this one. And it's definitely the EQ itself since an empty input into the EQ still gives the same noise. I have the EQ hooked directly into Input 1 rather than the effect loop since I used it to shape and boost the signal from my Rhodes piano. I also put the EQ into the Effect In / Out loop by itself and got the same issue, so it didn't depend on putting it before or after the preamp stage of the amp.

And yes, my version of the Princeton Chorus is a stereo solid state amp. I don't have the tube version, unfortunately.
The next thing I would check is a different power supply. Not sure of an easy (cheap) way to do that though. One of the main reasons I don't like 18V pedals.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
That's a good idea. I bought a toroidal transformer to supply 9 V to the other pedals. I have to look and see if it was a model that included 18 V as well (I'm at work right now). I can also rig up a pair of 9 V batteries in series to give a quick test. This would also completely eliminate power supply noise. I should have thought of this test sooner. My bad.
You can run the 10 band on 9v, but the sound quality is worse. You could try just to see if there was something wrong with it.

Not really related, but I suspect the switch on mine is going bad because it makes my rig sound like crap when it is off (true bypass) but when the EQ is on and set to a flat line, it sounds like how my amp normally sounds.

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
Here's the story. It was some corrosion on the output jack. I hooked up two 9 V batteries in series and got the same radio static. I opened up the case and starting pushing, tapping, etc. Eventually, I figured out that pushing on the output jack contact made the problem worse. I rolled some 2000 grit sandpaper into a tube thin enough to push into the jack and gently sanded off any corrosion. Voila! No more radio static.

Hopefully, this will save someone else a bunch of tail-chasing to figure out what might be wrong with theirs. The irony is that I've had to do the same "repair" to a bunch of my guitars in the last few weeks since I was getting some static-y noise when moving around with them. A bit of corrosion / poor contact on the output jack was the problem there as well, and the fix was the same.
good info, and glad you fixed your pedal
Quote by kangaxxter
Tone is in the fingers.

What you really need is a new amp.

(Anything I missed?)

Quote by Robbgnarly
I have been hearing about MG amps lately. I have heard good about them, but only a few times have they been talked about here.

Quote by jds2
Here's the story. It was some corrosion on the output jack. I hooked up two 9 V batteries in series and got the same radio static. I opened up the case and starting pushing, tapping, etc. Eventually, I figured out that pushing on the output jack contact made the problem worse. I rolled some 2000 grit sandpaper into a tube thin enough to push into the jack and gently sanded off any corrosion. Voila! No more radio static.

Hopefully, this will save someone else a bunch of tail-chasing to figure out what might be wrong with theirs. The irony is that I've had to do the same "repair" to a bunch of my guitars in the last few weeks since I was getting some static-y noise when moving around with them. A bit of corrosion / poor contact on the output jack was the problem there as well, and the fix was the same.

Awesome! I wonder if some contact cleaner wouldn't have worked instead.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Awesome! I wonder if some contact cleaner wouldn't have worked instead.

Actually, I tried that early on and it didn't help. That's what put me off thinking it might be the contact on the output jack. Either I have a crummy brand of contact cleaner or it just didn't work for this problem. A bit of sandpaper did the trick.