Hey guys, on Monday I picked up my first venture into Gibson territory, a '93 Les Paul Studio!

She wasn't in the greatest of shape when I got her but at $575 I was willing to clean her up

After my clean up!

She's not perfect, but for a 20y/o guitar she looks damn good!

She feels perfect to me. The weight is literally IDENTICAL to my EC-1000CTM, but thats where the similarities end. I love the 498T, it sounds SO good. I don't know if its just the pickup or the combo of the guitar and it, but it sounds Phenomenal!

She doesn't have any cracks and maybe only one tiny dent. And she's starting to get a little bit of wood showing through where your arm would rest, which is awesome! I'm glad I didn't get rid of too much of the "Mojo" cleaning her up, just some of the dirt and grime.

The ebony fingerboard looks great, and the frets have a lot of life in them. I just need to figure out a name for her now!
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
Congrats. Hapy New Guitar Day and Happy Playing.
Moving on.....
that's a great studio you have there, they don't make them like that anymore.

great deal too.
Quote by kangaxxter
Tone is in the fingers.

What you really need is a new amp.

(Anything I missed?)

Quote by Robbgnarly
I have been hearing about MG amps lately. I have heard good about them, but only a few times have they been talked about here.

There's just something about a Gibson! I've got an Alpine White Studio and to be honest, I like it more than my CSB Les Paul Standard. You got a good one there. HNGD! Enjoy the hell out of it!
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Congrats, I'm just not a fan of Gold hardware on any guitars.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I'm not a fan of the gloss black paint on a flat LP. Would be a cool refin project.

I'm glad it feels like a glove, though! HNGD!
I love me some fancy quilt tops and all that, but theres something about black + gold hardware that makes me stop whatever im doing and just stare. love the axe man. whatever you name it, is has to be an incredibly sexy name.

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

Quote by JustRooster
I'm not a fan of the gloss black paint on a flat LP. Would be a cool refin project.

I'm glad it feels like a glove, though! HNGD!

What do you mean by flat?

Quote by Robbgnarly
Congrats, I'm just not a fan of Gold hardware on any guitars.

I'm just the opposite, it MUST be gold haha

I love it, can't wait to get home and play! Thanks guys!
+More

Last edited by RCA1186 at Oct 23, 2013,
Yessir
+More

Last edited by RCA1186 at Oct 23, 2013,
nice
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Schweet!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
take pick guard off?
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by ikey_
take pick guard off?

I agree I normally HATE pickguards but I took this off when I was cleaning it and it looked a lot worse, in this case I actually prefer it on.

Thanks everyone!
+More

That's a beautiful LP.

How is it different than your CTM? Besides the pickups, they seem pretty damn similar. If anything the CTM is even thicker than the Studio, no?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I believe that the CTM is actually thicker.They both weigh the exact same (I actually weighed them they are just over 9lbs). They both have ebony fret boards. Hmm they are more similar than I thought when I think about it. The Gibson feels more comfortable at the neck joint. Much easier to get those higher frets on it rather than the CTM. I actually prefer the locking tuners on the CTM rather than the Gibson green ones.

The CTM with the EMG's definitely feels more "gainy" than the 498t's. They Gibson sounds like the pickups have better bass response, they sound thicker than the EMG's. This is the first set of passives that I've actually liked better than the EMG's. The only other set I liked in comparison were the Dimarzio D-Activators in the Xiphos I had, they were about on par with the 81's.

I really can't wait till I can get home from work and actually spend some good time playing it! I only got in about 10 mins yesterday until my attention was drawn to bathroom remodeling
+More

Last edited by RCA1186 at Mar 5, 2015,
Quote by RCA1186

I'm just the opposite, it MUST be gold haha

Yeah everyone is different, to me it looks like a gaudy Italian/Persian guy or an ulgy old Lowrider
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Haha, I don't know, I think it depends on the guitar and color for me. Like on my Xiphos, it was black, and I wanted the hardware all black too. On a white or black les paul, it seems more "elegant" I guess. To me they NEED gold haha. Say if it were a blue or amber color. I would definitely say it has to be chrome then.

On my Alexi v, the white and chrome I think looks much better.
+More

Last edited by RCA1186 at Oct 24, 2013,