I am thinking of buying a Carvin direct from the website. I have been after a 25" scale guitar for a while. I was thinking about getting a new PRS S2, then started looking more at Carvin. For their price and the features it seems to good to be true. Which leads me to my question. Will these guitars be appropriate to use for metal, mainly thinking Opeth or shred-y style on this one. I don't need a guitar for extreme or doom metal or anything, just if the pickups are hot enough. I have my Gibson for Mastodon/Baroness style. Probably will not down tune much more than a half step.
I am probably buying new to pay it off slowly, if there are other guitars at this price point with these amount of features that can be paid off slowly I am open for suggestions. Thanks!
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Charvel So Cal Pro Mod, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
I own two, and they are some of the most playable versatile guitars I've ever played. I can't say enough good words about em.

That being said, try the M22 I think they're called. Theyre supposed to be higher gain.
(()____(Main Rig)____())>

Carvin CS4 Goldtop
PRS Santana SE
Carvin SC90
Washburn Taurus 5-string Bass
Peavey 6505
Carvin v3m
Carvin 2x12
Spider Valve Cab
Plenty of Pedals.
Carvin's business model saves them money. One they produce when sold reducing overhead and two they sell direct cutting out distribution. This is why their prices are lower than most manufacturers.
Moving on.....
Are they versatile enough to handle Opeth and the like? I am loving the style and finish of the guitar but that is just aesthetics. Price-wise they are great, and the reputation they have is of high regard, but it's still a lot of money without playing first, and I'm sure they have a decent return policy.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Charvel So Cal Pro Mod, Schecter Banshee 7
Line 6 M13
Last edited by bobafettacheese at Oct 23, 2013,
Quote by bobafettacheese
Are they versatile enough to handle Opeth and the like? I am loving the style and finish of the guitar but that is just aesthetics. Price-wise they are great, and the reputation they have is of high regard, but it's still a lot of money without playing first, and I'm sure they have a decent return policy.

You shouldn'T have problem for Opeth, the guitar itself is quite versatil but if your amp is not, it won't be magic.
Jackson DK2FS
Fernandes FR-65

Morley pro series pedal
BBE two time Delay
Empress Nebulus
Subdecay Quantum Quasar
Solid Gold FX Nitro

Blackstar HT stage 100
Marshal 1922 2x12 (V-30, Greenback)
^i figured this much. My Orange can do a lot, of course it isn't perfect, but for what I'm looking for it works.
Line 6 M13
Carvin gives you more bang for the buck than any other company I've come across. I own some of their stuff, and I've seen their factory, and they are impressive all around. Yes; Carvin guitars, basses and amplifiers are well-suited for Heavy Metal. More than a few shred lunatics use Carvin guitars. If you want to stick with the heavy stuff, then you want to choose Carvin's hotter pickups when you have the guitar built - they are the M22SD model. Or you can just have them use their usual pickups and then swap them out for whatever you want once you have the guitar. I seriously doubt you will find anyone else who will make the guitar to such detailed specs and with so many options for the same price as Carvin.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
I appreciate the info. I know that the amp carries the general loads when getting into metal territory. Just didn't want to shell out money for a guitar whose pickups didn't suit my style. Not wanting to buy a guitar just to change the pickups.
Line 6 M13
Why not get a use PRS? You can get used PRS CE22/24 for $900-$1300

You can get used PRS CU22/24 for $1500+

Carvins are nice, but if you want a PRS, get a PRS

Carvin pickups are not the greatest
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Oct 23, 2013,
I've got half a dozen Carvin guitars, plus a Carvin 5-string bass. Awesome build quality, unmatched feature set and options (you notice they have 24-fret versions of the CT series now), great woods. Better yet, you get to spec them the way you want them.

The Carvin M22SD is one of the highest output pickups they make (around 13-14kohm) and would be a good bridge pickup choice. I'd stick with the standard C22 neck pickup. I've got a couple of Carvins with the M22SD, and it's a right proper raucous rock pickup. If you decide you want to run it coil split, it's one of the best ever for that as well. It'll do Opeth for dayth.

I'd be far less concerned about the pickups and would probably pay far more attention to neck radius (you can get 10, 12, 14 and 20" radii), frets (they have jumbo stainless) and upper fret access if I were looking for a guitar for shredding. Jason Becker seems to have found Carvins adequate, as has Allan Holdsworth. Allan introduced the 20" radius to Carvin, and while Carvin has made 12" a standard of late, their old standards were 15" and 16" in the late '80's and early 90's.

Carvin has a very wide range of pickups available, what with all the variations on the M22, C22, S and H22 series. I've never swapped a set of Carvins for anything other than different Carvins (and that mostly because the previous owner of that particular guitar screwed them up badly when putting them back in for the sale). Obviously, most guitar companies have their own pickups stuffed in their own guitars, including PRS, Gibson, Fender, and even the smaller ones do that (Trussart uses Arcane pickups, but Rob, the Arcane guy was the house Trussart builder before he offered them for sale under the Arcane name, Suhr does his own pickups. Tyler does his own pickups, Anderson does his own, etc.).
Robb I was originally thinking of going the route of the PRS S2, very appealing, but then I remembered the quality of Carvin. Honestly it is a tough decision, especially when larger amounts of money are involved. Anyone have any experience with any of the new S2 line? Still leaning towards the Carvin.
Line 6 M13
I own a DC400

best guitar Ive ever played no doubt. Carvins are a great deal. Make sure you get stainless steel frets! Worth every penny.
Quote by The Spoon
Unless you're sure she likes you, telling her you like her has a 110% chance of failing.

But hey, at least you have a 10% chance of absolutely guaranteeing failure.